Physical Conditioning for Archery Season

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I have been dieting. A couple hard boiled eggs for breakfast, salad for lunch, and a Lean Cuisine meal for supper.

If if you really want to loose the weight and perform at a high level look up mike dolce three weeks to shredded. Your diet now is setting up for a super failure

- - - Updated - - -

It’s designed to loose 21 pounds in 21 days eating lots of healthy food

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just ran 3 miles around the neighborhood at 7:58/mi pace. But now I have a back booboo and need a day off and some sleep. F*** getting old.

ETA: sitting at my desk at work today, I checked my resting heart rate for a 30-second count: 46 BPM. Seemed odd, checked it again, 46 BPM. Cardio seems to be working.

Last edited:

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, my fat butt hikes around the neighborhood hills with 100lbs in my pack. I need to do more and eat way better. No better time than now to start I suppose!

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah, my fat butt hikes around the neighborhood hills with 100lbs in my pack. I need to do more and eat way better. No better time than now to start I suppose!

Thats legitimately the only way to train for backpack hunting. Straight up ruck around the neighborhood, football stadium, or closest land feature. Train to hunt is a joke. If you’re spending money to have someone show you how to hike with a backpack, you probably have a shakeweight in your closet too. I know a few guys who legitimately call the 20 mile hike into sheep country to start hunting their training. Although awesome, I wouldn’t advise that

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seeing sheep pics from the NWT makes me really want to do that. Season started yesterday. When does your guys sheep season start. I would say carrying a heavy pack long distances is as much in a guy’s head as it is physical.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats legitimately the only way to train for backpack hunting. Straight up ruck around the neighborhood, football stadium, or closest land feature. Train to hunt is a joke. If you’re spending money to have someone show you how to hike with a backpack, you probably have a shakeweight in your closet too. I know a few guys who legitimately call the 20 mile hike into sheep country to start hunting their training. Although awesome, I wouldn’t advise that

So if you lay around and eat all day you will be in same shape as if u ran and worked out everyday? Interesting concept.

Not sure why professional athletes work out when they don’t need to.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if you lay around and eat all day you will be in same shape as if u ran and worked out everyday? Interesting concept.

Perfect, that's the plan I'm going with. I just needed some reinforcement that this was the correct option. ;:;rofl

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Not sure why professional athletes work out when they don’t need to.

what are you talking about? I said I know guys that just hike in and hunt. They will be the first ones to tell you how fat and slow they are - but they take rams for a walk home every single year. I am an advocate for rucking. I ruck several times a week. Either a few miles around the neighborhood or I hit up a small 1,000 foot butte on my way home. I think people should prep; it’s just this “keep hammering” and “train to hunt” kool aid is annoying and unnecessary.

Seeing sheep pics from the NWT makes me really want to do that. Season started yesterday. When does your guys sheep season start. I would say carrying a heavy pack long distances is as much in a guy’s head as it is physical.

Season opens next weekend (10th). I scouted like a mad man and have several legal rams picked. But then switched jobs 3 weeks ago so I need to work all of August for my benefits to kick in. Kinda depressing but will have about 4x vacation to do it from now on. It should be an interesting year. The smoke finally cleared off the chugach for the first time in 2 months last weekend. Central AK range is still smoked in.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am honestly behind the gun this fall. Been so busy I havn't had the time to train like I normally would but have dropped 10lbs which is a lot for a guy that is 5'10 I was 180 now 170. I have been walking and I ride bike almost every day. I have a high country mule deer hunt in Wyoming in September. It gets tougher every year but most of it is 99% mental for me. I find your mind gives up before the body does.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I start lifting 12 or 16 oz. liquid weights hard beginning early spring (typically while Paddlefishing). Then I just make sure I keep that regiment, though a little easier, throughout the summer. :cool: Then try to go for a 2 to 3 mile walk with the Mrs. several times a week. Had a checkup yesterday with doctor, A1C is down, Cholesterol good, BP really good. Best thing, over the last year and a half, I have lost 12 lbs. and been able to control it. Doc challenged me to keep working on losing maybe another 10#. Plan is to keep working at that by cutting carbs some, more veggies from the garden this fall and drink more water. Thank God "BEER" has water in it...just limit those weights some.

"Keep the lines tight, arrows straight and the next round ready to fire". Sure would be nice to go through a fall without hearing of some hunting tragedy in the "Great State of North Dakota".

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
what are you talking about? I said I know guys that just hike in and hunt. They will be the first ones to tell you how fat and slow they are - but they take rams for a walk home every single year. I am an advocate for rucking. I ruck several times a week. Either a few miles around the neighborhood or I hit up a small 1,000 foot butte on my way home. I think people should prep; it’s just this “keep hammering” and “train to hunt” kool aid is annoying and unnecessary

PREACH!!

Apparently you have to have chiseled ab's and biceps that rip your t-shirt to be effective in the mountains.

Yes, being in somewhat decent physical shape is a great start. But if you go at your own pace, take your time, and don't burn out on the first day, you will be fine! Elevation adaption for the body is the biggest one for me.

When we go out elk hunting, my last ascent is 1,100' Vert in under 1/2mile. That stretch takes me about an hour to make to the top. Lungs are burning and legs feel like they're going to fall off, but it's well worth the view!

67697336_2046144852167384_6726384085112979456_n.jpg

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
PREACH!!

Apparently you have to have chiseled ab's and biceps that rip your t-shirt to be effective in the mountains.

Yes, being in somewhat decent physical shape is a great start. But if you go at your own pace, take your time, and don't burn out on the first day, you will be fine! Elevation adaption for the body is the biggest one for me.

When we go out elk hunting, my last ascent is 1,100' Vert in under 1/2mile. That stretch takes me about an hour to make to the top. Lungs are burning and legs feel like they're going to fall off, but it's well worth the view!

122582028_10159232193611742_890767953349981947_n.jpg

This is the perfect reason to train. Wouldn't it be nice to do it a little quicker and when the top is reached and a lifetime elk is standing there waiting for you to be able to make the shot before he spooks never to be seen again. I hunted many years with just sitting around until the last month before season opener and took my time. Recovery to longer. Felt like crap. Now putting the work in year round I feel better all the time. Less recovery time. And i can go longer and push harder.

Also year long conditioning (stretching your body to its limit and beyond) will increase your mental toughness to "keep hammering"

To each there own I guess

nybs

Honored Member
I just switched to corona premier - only 80 calories so I figure the difference between that and my normal light beer should get me in the right direction.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve hiked 55 miles in the last six days. And got paid to do it. If you can find a training program like this one, I’d highly recommend it

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
A six pack of blue num nums a night and wake in the morning. Hike in, shoot animal, pack out. Easy peasy!::::;::;:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75