Physical Conditioning for Archery Season

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone out there getting in shape yet? I plan on dropping 20 pounds by opening day. Been going to the gym every day and riding the bike and treadmill. Will probably start some weight training next week.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup. Putting on 2 miles a day or more in cardio and hitting weights. I'm concentrating on building my cardio and legs. I am planning on hitting the badlands pretty hard this year and will be putting in some miles with the boots.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What program is everyone using. Your own or one set up. I'm doing Mountain Tough

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone out there getting in shape yet? I plan on dropping 20 pounds by opening day. Been going to the gym every day and riding the bike and treadmill. Will probably start some weight training next week.

Losing 20#'s in little over 4 weeks is lofty goal, I hope you are able to achieve it. Diet is key.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You need a gym membership or an extensive home gym equipment to follow this?

I have gym membership. My buddy does it at home with squat rack, dumbbells, rower and treadmill.

Think about the money we spend to destroy our bodies. This is an investment into your future

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Losing 20#'s in little over 4 weeks is lofty goal, I hope you are able to achieve it. Diet is key.

Yes I have been dieting. A couple hard boiled eggs for breakfast, salad for lunch, and a Lean Cuisine meal for supper.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well if you're like most of the archery hunters in ND, all you really need to do is get your thumb yoga in everyday so it doesn't get sore from the four wheeler ride to the tree stand.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member

Wouldn't want to shoot your expectations too high. :;:smokin

Unless you're going to go on a calorie depravation diet (500-1000 calories per day), this is going to be pretty hard to achieve. I had a malt from Culvers yesterday, that was around 700 calories. And boy, was it delicious!

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well if you're like most of the archery hunters in ND, all you really need to do is get your thumb yoga in everyday so it doesn't get sore from the four wheeler ride to the tree stand.

Yeah that'll probably be me in 4 weeks. Better shoot for 10 pounds of weight loss.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't want to shoot your expectations too high. :;:smokin

Unless you're going to go on a calorie depravation diet (500-1000 calories per day), this is going to be pretty hard to achieve. I had a malt from Culvers yesterday, that was around 700 calories. And boy, was it delicious!

I like the orange cream shakes that they have right now at Arby's.

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't forget abs. So much of archery is in stability of the core, twisting and turning with angled shots from on high or even just in a blind, not to mention if you're using a climber, abs will save you.

I'm doing P90X (the ab routine is the best I've found), running mid-distances 3 times per week now, and going low carb. I'm down 5 pounds since July 12, in a goal to get to 195 by the end of the month, 4 pounds to go, then will try to taper out to 1-2 pounds a month, with a long-range goal of 185 by next spring. Keep your fitness goals lofty, but know that missing them isn't a big deal, as long as you're making progress toward them.

It always seems like August, September and October, along with January and February are my best months for weight loss and maintaining workout regimens. Summer foods and the holidays just kill me, LOL.

Keep up the great work everyone, and have a safe and fit hunting season!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My hunting consists of driving up to the area where my stand and food plots are. Walking a short distance to the stand (sometimes it is a fair ways) and then sitting down, putting the hearter on if it is cold, open a beer and sit back and watch the deer and other wildlife. Video now and then. Put a little AC/DC on the walkman with ear plugs. Pulling the bow string back, maybe once every fifth year so i no longer even work out that arm any more. And now I got a cross bow so I will do some practice with that but not to many arrows at one sitting.
As for now, for the most part, no longer work for someone else, I do plan to go to the badlands and look around. But again have spots so a walk and then just sit and watch. Not to hard to do even at my age.
Have not applied for a rifle permit on a whitetail since 95. One of the best decision I made in my life.

But i guess i do get a lot of excerise in building food plots and taking care of them. Spent the last two days planting kale and rape along with winter greens. One plot left to plant. Alfalfa, white clover and soybeans are looking good and deer are eating good on the soybeans. No corn this year as to hard to get rid of in spring with no equipment and the damn elk eat anyways. Damn elk are still coming up and got a picture of a bear. Fawns look good with a fair amount of male deer. Overall deer look good.

But have no interest in gutting a deer and it has been that way since the kids were able to do it for me. So need the son before I can even consider harvesting a deer. Bought my grand daughter a bow and that may be my life this fall. db

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Took the screens off my home office windows. Waxed the window slides so they open real quiet (double hung windows). Will take a few practice shots near my apple trees and its game on. Its on my bucket list to get one that way.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55