Keeping fish alive

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody able to keep fish alive in their livewells with the warm surface temps? A few friends and I were at Van Hook last weekend and I was recirculating water almost constantly all day and the fish all died fairly quick. Some of the fillets seemed mushy to me and honestly didn't taste the best. I kind of feel like the best thing to do this time of year would be to bleed them out and throw them on ice. Did that yesterday and I think that's what I'm going to do for the next 2 months.

Thoughts?

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
i sometimes pull cranks out of our bowrider and do exactly the ice chest. works great

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep. When its this warm right to a cooler half full of ice if you want good eating fish. I use 20 oz frozen pop bottles and lots of them. Rince off when I get home and back in freezer for the next trip. Have an older upright freezer where I keep my boat just for that purpose.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have never bled a walleye as I can't tell the difference on the table but I ice them right away also. I think they fillet better too, JMO.

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
I haven't used my livewell except for an occasional tournament for years. I use a cooler filled with ice and actually prefer it to using a livewell. With the laws how they are now, it's illegal to transport fish home in a livewell filled with lake/river water anyway. Most of the places I fish don't have cleaning stations at the ramps either so I'd have to put my fish in a cooler anyway. I tried the ice in bottles thing for a while but found that it works better for me to freeze blocks of ice in a freezer that I have in my quonset where I store my boat and put them in my fish cooler when I hook up my boat to go fishing. I freeze about 5 gallons of water in about one gallon size blocks using dollar store plastic basins. The blocks pop right out of them. I line the bottom the fish cooler with blacks and break a block into smaller chunks with a hammer after I put the ice in the cooler. I also carry another cooler in my truck with more blocks of ice. When I get done fishing and while getting my boat ready for the trip home, I cover the fish in fish cooler with the additional ice until I get home.
I clean out my fish cooler with a brush after I clean my fish, tip it upside down to let it dry out and freeze more blocks of ice so that everything is ready to go for my next fishing trip.
I don't use high dollar coolers but one thing that I did that really seems to improve cheaper coolers is to drill holes in the inside of the covers and fill them with spray in foam insulation.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://nodakangler.com/forums/threads/6921-keeping-fish-alive-in-summer

Remembered this thread immediately, lots of good info in here.

This was a great thread. I laughed my ass off reading the discussion between guywhofishes and johnr about johnr being too cheap to buy ice. I am kind of like that but last week I spent about $20 on ice because I had no choice.

One of the comments toward the end of the thread said if you throw a northern in the live well, all of the walleyes will die. I can't say that this is true for sure but when I had my old Alumacraft Competitor with the live well on the left side of the boat, if you put a northern in the well the slime would clog the screen on the overflow to the point where if you left the pump on the boat would start to fill with water. Happened more than once. Guess the screen was to keep minnows from getting loose although I never did put minnows in the well. I am of the opinion that all that slime clogs the gills on the walleyes and that's what kills them. What do you think?

I no longer worry about it because I will not keep a northern unless it is big and caught in cold water and then I put it on a stringer. I will not allow one of those skanks in my live well.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just run more water through it. Your pumps can handle the abuse. I ran on manual all day yesterday instead of automatic and the fish were cold as hell when it came time to clean em. It was hot out.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just run more water through it. Your pumps can handle the abuse. I ran on manual all day yesterday instead of automatic and the fish were cold as hell when it came time to clean em. It was hot out.

This is what I do in warm weather. Only problem I’ve encountered is when a fish is deep hooked, they typically go belly up at some point. That’s where I would agree with the ice. My problem is I suck at bringing the ice, or I purposely don’t because I think I’ll jinx myself. I’m a paranoid person like that.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bleed em out in one live well for 15-20 minutes, then throw them on ice in the other live well.

- - - Updated - - -

Warm water doesn't hold oxygen as efficiently as cold water does. Try running your livewell on recirc and fill the whole time you have fish in it. Alot of guys don't for fear of draining batteries or wearing out a pump. Which I haven't heard of happening yet.

Also, keeping a hypodermic needle in the boat and fizzing your fish helps as well.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boyle's law says a gas (oxygen) absorbs better in 1) cold liquids 2) or under pressure. But we really have 3 options. Cool the water. pressurize the livewell or increase the partial pressure of oxygen present available in the water.

I went with option 3 and installed this 12v aerator shortly after our last discussion on this topic. It uses very low amperage and I have it hooked in to run with the livewell circulation. I have not needed to buy ice, other than to transport from field to freezer or a long ride home.

Great little unit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EYWNVQ/?tag=nodakangler10-20

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would you want to keep them alive :;:huhwhen they taste better like this??

F435F327-3536-4BA6-B8EF-C98912B001A2.jpg;:;boozer

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Explain fizzing please!

YouTube will give you better instructions, but you basically insert the needle into the belly to release air pressure built up in the swim bladder, so they can right themselves in the livewell.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80