Fish recycling!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;barf

I'm guessing you are gonna have a hell of a stinky messy goo in a month. What do you plan on doing with this goo and how do you plan on getting it out of the container?

Ideally Id like to dilute it in water and use it on plants/trees, Im thinking a sump or something similar should get it out of container, or siphon it out, dip it out, whatever. I fully expect it to get nasty before it gets nice again... If it gets nice again that is

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's me: A little sigh type breathing, a funny look in your direction, then turning and walking the other direction.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I worked at a commercial fishing operation, we would have gut barrels kept in the freezer. Once a week, or so, we'd have to haul them out to the dump ground and dispose of them in a pit they dug just for us. As the summer wore on, there was no amount of lime or sprinkling of dirt on that damn pit that could protect us from the odor let loose on the next pour. Nasty doesn't even begin to describe it.

I'd pretty much banished that memory from my mind until I saw this thread. Thanks...

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I worked at a commercial fishing operation, we would have gut barrels kept in the freezer. Once a week, or so, we'd have to haul them out to the dump ground and dispose of them in a pit they dug just for us. As the summer wore on, there was no amount of lime or sprinkling of dirt on that damn pit that could protect us from the odor let loose on the next pour. Nasty doesn't even begin to describe it.

I'd pretty much banished that memory from my mind until I saw this thread. Thanks...

I dont know how much fish waste you would dispose of, but if there was enough, sounds like a good opportunity to start a maggot farm!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
O K Where does all that ground fish go from the fish cleaning stations?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet if you put a basket of straw on top of the opening for a bacterial colony to set up shop on you'd hardly smell it (it will function like aquarium gravel or a compost pile)

is this aerobic or anaerobic process?... is it best to seal it off from O2?

I was wondering this too. Also, does it produce heat? Maybe could/should do this in the fall, during cool nights, etc.

I can just see that tank swollen, seams about to burst.

Along comes a hapless intruder...

You - waiting at an open, upstairs window, with an old fiberglass Bearclaw recurve, with a field point nocked and ready..

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont know how much fish waste you would dispose of, but if there was enough, sounds like a good opportunity to start a maggot farm!

Couple hundred gallons a week. That commercial fishery is no longer in operation, but I do know there have been a couple commercial licenses issued over the years to other entities. I think they targeted buffalo out of Jamestown.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not just compost them? Aerobic systems smell better and it'd be an easier process (provided you have a means to turn the pile).

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think he's looking for a liquid fertilizer for ease of application.

One thing I will note is that this spring it was really, and I mean REALLY, easy to tell where the two dead deer in my ditch composted above the ground. Two big ol' patches of tall, thick, greener than green grass really stood out for most of the summer. Dead stuff does make the grass grow.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always say “ to each their own “. You go ahead and make your own fish fertilizer. I’ll just bring my granular fertilizer home in a 5 gallon bucket from work. Less work and not that time consuming.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
More I think about this the more I think of breaking bad. Keep an eye on the news for any missing persons. I have my suspect. Lol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66