Fish recycling!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know you say the smell is negligible. I can not imagine being downwind from.. this. operation.. . ..

I can smell one carp laying in the sun, from about 100 ft. I can not imagine the odor for this..

"Vomitous" comes to mind.

Forgetting a bucket of minnows is vomitous. This looks like the atomic bomb of projectile vomitous!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
BetweenThe backyard beehives, Mexican vanilla And now fish juice, I am concerned about your judgement. Haha
i wish you were my neighbor, we could really fuck some shit up.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. You over paid for the tote we give them away free
2. Disgusting
3. I have horrible ideas from time to time and I would not do this one
4. Johnr, you want this next door? Wtf?
5. I need a whiskey

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe there has been some clarification but after the original post all I can think is that this is taking you High meat to a way nother level!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That would make a great MOAB. No bang and the mountain caves would be non-habitable for a long time.

Thanks for coming and taking some of the fish that we shot. It’s always interesting to see what people are doing with the fish when they take them from bow fisherman. We’ve had people take them for fertilizer multiple times and also to eat them. One guy at the Williston shoot took over 8000 lbs just to clean for food. Another guy from Montana takes paddlefish scraps from the cleaning station to render down for a base in trapping lures. So while most people think it’s a pretty disgusting endeavor, I think it’s interesting that you’re using some of our fish that would have just ended up at the dump. Oh and sorry about overloading your pickup, I talked to you about that right before you left. Haha

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every cat, coon and skunk within 25 miles will be trying to get in there. Good luck if you try selling that truck anytime soon.

Not to mention every Swede and Norwegian with a taste for lutefisk will also be trying to get in there.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
More I think about this the more I think of breaking bad. Keep an eye on the news for any missing persons. I have my suspect. Lol

Chippers (ala Fargo) are still a way better idea, IMHO.

Natives used to bury a fish in each corn and bean mound hundreds of years ago. I say go with the experts, plant them. Then again, I can be really lazy at times.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ran out there yesterday and its fermenting well, lots of bubbles coming up sides of tank, smell isnt so great... I should mention tho that its not PUTRID smelling, mostly just a fishy smell. Im hoping that using the right type of bacteria, and getting them started early, will help to keep it from getting really nasty. Flies seem to love that area, I sprayed the outside of tank with a micro encapsulated insecticide so the numbers should decrease significantly over the next few days. Neighbors dog was over there and because the tank is so full, theres a steady stream of liquid flowing down the side and away from the tank. Dog musta liked the smell cuz he was rolling in it! Good thing its not a house dog...

Last edited:

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ran out there yesterday and its fermenting well, lots of bubbles coming up sides of tank, smell isnt so great... I should mention tho that its not PUTRID smelling, mostly just a fishy smell. Im hoping that using the right type of bacteria, and getting them started early, will help to keep it from getting really nasty. Flies seem to love that area, I sprayed the outside of tank with a micro encapsulated insecticide so the numbers should decrease significantly over the next few days. Neighbors dog was over there and because the tank is so full, theres a steady stream of liquid flowing down the side and away from the tank. Dog musta liked the smell cuz he was rolling in it! Good thing its not a house dog...

Glad I don't live near you as my dog would have been rolling in that as well. ;:;barf

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ohh, that dog. My gorge is rising, just sitting at my desk. I can just see slippery lumpy shiny "liquid" sliding down the outside of the tank.

Gonna be close to 90 today.

I wonder, what the infrared plume would look like, near that tank.

I almost wanna go see it, just to see it. Like, seeing a dead whale on a beach. Maybe poke it with a stick.

When I was a kid, the pet poodle rolled in a tangled-up, swollen/festering fly-blown skunk. We almost went without a dog, over that.

Edit: The skunk had possibly been menstruating..

Last edited:

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not grinding them up will make it a slow process, your on the right track but them little bugs have really small mouths. Grinding up the fish gives the ferment a 4 week cook at room temp. I just upgraded my fish grinder to this.

IMG_0575.jpg

Hydrolyzed fish emulsion is the best plant food there is. Good on ya Lycan for using carp for something good !!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not grinding them up will make it a slow process, your on the right track but them little bugs have really small mouths. Grinding up the fish gives the ferment a 4 week cook at room temp. I just upgraded my fish grinder to this.

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 9.56.22 PM.jpg

Hydrolyzed fish emulsion is the best plant food there is. Good on ya Lycan for using carp for something good !!

Looks like something' out of the movie "Fargo!"

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 9.56.22 PM.jpg

f youve done this before, Id be interested in your experience and the steps you use...
I

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan I have never done this before, to ferment the ( bugs ) have to be able to break down the fish so whole fish will not work the way you want.

I hear a bakers yeast colony will enhance the process along with rolling the slurry for the first 12 hrs.

Just a suggestion, but you know.... It's all in the grind !!

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 8.11.33 AM.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
just like breaking an oil slick down into a suspension of micro-droplets

the smaller the bits the larger the surface area

the outer surfaces (and solution) are where the magic happens

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Off topic but WTF is with dogs and wanting to roll in the stinkiest shit they can find? My labs seem to love to roll in compost or a rotting pile of beans spilled by the bins, heck even their own shit sometimes! :mad:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of cash do you need for a bucket of this slurry

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of cash do you need for a bucket of this slurry

Well, congratulations. You are the first to run towards the fire.

Everybody else is turning pale green, and you are digging in your wallet... :)

Back in college, I worked at the local Menards. An entire shelving section of fish emulsion tipped over one night after closing, and many many of the containers popped open.

Now you know why Menards moved from Gateway Mall..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76