Fish recycling!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

lacking a way to properly mix. gonna leave over winter and possibly mess with it in spring. thinking an ice auger with gears removed and a blade of some sort attached to a shaft would be fairly effective. hard to use without being able to break particles down enough to be pumped.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mud mixer like I used to mix drywall mud, just might need a longer shaft. 1/2'' cordless drill should work if too far from electricity.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mud mixer like I used to mix drywall mud, just might need a longer shaft. 1/2'' cordless drill should work if too far from electricity.

i don't think that would be powerful enough for 300 gallons with fish skulls etc.. a dispersion blade mounted on a 3hp auger powerhead seems like it would work well. i just don't have the parts or time to mess with it right now...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i don't think that would be powerful enough for 300 gallons with fish skulls etc.. a dispersion blade mounted on a 3hp auger powerhead seems like it would work well. i just don't have the parts or time to mess with it right now...
Go too Menards online and look up MASTERFORCE 28" EASY MIXER, T think if you sharpen the blades it would grind up what ever you wanted with maybe a little more liquid added. The angle of the blades will bring stuff to the top and back down again. To much speed and you will want to keep your mouth shut, just saying.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have electricity close you might be surprised what a small air compressor would do. Secure the hose so it's on the bottom and once you get things moving and a slurry built they might fall apart if they are decomposed enough. Capture the methane in phase 2 of your project .:)

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB_IMG_1611609945047.jpg

These are the magic organisms that break down fish tissue into nutrients. I very recently became interested in this ancient process of fermentation and am very far from knowledgeable about the process.

Lycan's ( Chernobyl ) could be chocked up as a learning experience.

The liquid has a high concentration of micro organisms ( slime is a dead give away of high microbial count ) and would provide some benefit as a type of lactobacillius culture. Whole carp have provided some nutrients but not in the way desired. Although they will be the gift that keeps on giving.

I would shoot holes in the very bottom of the tote from ALONG ways off, and about January 30th haul it to the dump.

Just my .02$

So.. in the picture.. Cheetohs are the magic? Vienna Sausages? Who'd a thunk it?

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Muffin Monster 30001, and would like to announce the founding of my new side hustle...

Dahl Fish Hydrolysate

Also a Carp bow fishing guide service called,

Missouri Carp Safari's

This winter will be a busy one for me

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I'd let it freeze, that tank will bust. I'd cut my losses now and dump the whole damn works in the land fill. ;:;barf

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I'd let it freeze, that tank will bust. I'd cut my losses now and dump the whole damn works in the land fill. ;:;barf

I was thinking about taking it to a far corner and flipping it to allow fluid to drain, might be better to do once hte ground freezes, so it spreads out a bit during the thaw next spring, should be good ferts like that anyway... Not exactly what I was hoping for, but whatev
Y

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look for the green spot on Google Earth for the next 10 years.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
At lease you aren't out much , I know a few that put many thousands into fertilizer this year and have less to show for it you do.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet the bulk of the nutrients are already solubalized

If you can get liquid out, save it. Then dump the bones.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, I'm guessing it's worth 20 bucks a quart on ebay .

- - - Updated - - -

Auggie, Is there a place to send a sample for concentrated nutrient analysis ?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Booze �� s a guaranteed money turn. We can have our own pizza

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet the bulk if the nutrients are already solubalized

If you can get liquid out, save it. Then dump the bones.

Funny you should mention that, I have already been in touch with NDSU and they will test it as 'manure' at a cost of about $30. I think I can use an old hose to siphon out the liquid into 5 gallon buckets and Im guessing its got some nutrient value but Ill have to send a sample to find out for sure. Mixing the left over solids with wood chips or straw for a couple years would also yield a high nutrient compost, not a project to do by hand but a small tractor with FEL would make quick work of it. A 30-50hp tractor is on my wish list, been watching for deals but havent found one yet...

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
what's it smell like? still 10/10 horrific or has it backed off to a modest cheesy nasty?

More fishy than rancid dead animal smell. Its not something youd wanna mess with before going on a first date for sure tho. I can send you a sample if you like... Dogs seem to love it!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62