Fish recycling!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I picked up this motor fairly cheap, thinking about how I can turn it into a super sized blender to break up the fish this spring, if the tank holds together over winter. Theres a fair amount of alcohol in the solution so hopefully it doesnt crack during the cold weather. any ideas, tips or tricks to making this work?
p_6904361170ca87709a3078783bf109e2.jpg

If I can get a coupler to fit the shaft and an extension that is 2ft or so, all Id need to do is get a blade of sorts attached to it to do some serious blending I think. maybe a 10 or 12 inch saw blade, with some of the teeth bent up or down to lift the liquid might work, or else a square of steel (not sure what size would be appropriate for that HP motor in a viscous liquid) with the corners bent slightly and maybe sharpened a bit, would work also... once I get the fish broken up, a trash pump should work well to distribute the fertilizer where it needs to go.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd trade you a jiffy powerhead for that Dixon and we would both be happy. For sure you will need some sort of gear reduction with that motor. I built a 300 gallon mixing tank for mixing gel and grout in drilling fluids and used hydraulic drive and harrow teeth. Even with harrow teeth the fluid gained momentum and centrifugal force sent the solids to the outside so once the fluid gained momentum I reversed the direction for the fist while and eventually added a bolt on plate to the tank that has sickle sections welded on. I can imagine something like that working of fish too, The centrifugal action and mower sections being your best buddy with slicing up fish.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd trade you a jiffy powerhead for that Dixon and we would both be happy. For sure you will need some sort of gear reduction with that motor. I built a 300 gallon mixing tank for mixing gel and grout in drilling fluids and used hydraulic drive and harrow teeth. Even with harrow teeth the fluid gained momentum and centrifugal force sent the solids to the outside so once the fluid gained momentum I reversed the direction for the fist while and eventually added a bolt on plate to the tank that has sickle sections welded on. I can imagine something like that working of fish too, The centrifugal action and mower sections being your best buddy with slicing up fish.

Man did this make my imagination run wild, love come up with contraptions in my head

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man did this make my imagination run wild, love come up with contraptions in my head

any ideas or assistance would be appreciated. i don't think reduction would be necessary, these dispersion blades are designed to run at 4000 to 6000 feet per minute at the blade edge. that would be about 3000 rpm with a 8" blade if my calcs are correct...

this blade looks ba but kinda pricey.
https://www.dispersetech.com/amp/product/dispersion-blades/257-pick-blade.amphtml

if i could figure how to go from motor to blade with machined parts i think it would work well. if balance is off tho, might b dangerous...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
How long of a shaft are you thinking ? You will most likely need a way to stabilize it at the bottom, bearings don't like water so a brass bushing is next in line and that's where high RPMs can be a challenge

- - - Updated - - -

Are you thinking something you can drop into your existing plastic tank or is this a start from scratch project ?

- - - Updated - - -

just seems like not the best design for a plastic tank but might work better if you make the unit separate and go with a belt drive

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
My thought was a metal round tank, like one of those old fuel tanks you see on old farmstead. Cut it in half, mount a bearing in the bottom. A shaft up to a crossmember with a bearing, pulley or pulleys to get rpms your want. the shaft running vertical could have arms with harrow teeth and intersect harrow teeth mounted on the tank wall. I would think if you use that gas motor you would need to gear it down

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
WW that's pretty much how I built mine , I started with aluminum tank and used pipe for vertical shaft and the harrow springs slid over the shaft. Weight was my main concern , I wanted to be able to load it and move it around by hand.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
There ya go , Make a blade like that and fit it on an old electric trolling motor and let er buck.

blade is supposed to run at 4000+ rpm, thinking an electric trolling motor wouldn't do much besides get gunked up bad. i was thinking mount motor on sturdy wood or plywood, clamp that to top of tote and leter buck. id like to limit exposure to fish sludge as much as possible without letting the whole thing go to waste... i might just dump it still, undecided.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the update on this situation Lycan? :;:smokin

Still in the tote, didnt leak over winter, but I havent done anything with it yet either... I dumped in a gallon or two of concentrated phosphoric acid last fall which should preserve it I guess, been way too busy to mess with it right now, been doing a lot of planting lately and actually got out fishing this past weekend!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still in the tote, didnt leak over winter, but I havent done anything with it yet either... I dumped in a gallon or two of concentrated phosphoric acid last fall which should preserve it I guess, been way too busy to mess with it right now, been doing a lot of planting lately and actually got out fishing this past weekend!
Thanks, keep us updated as I'm interested in your science experiment haha

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am curious on the taste of it. The likelihood of this curing covid are 100%

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76