Fish recycling!

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
“Your scientist were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should”

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
According to this video, and Neptune Harvest fertilizer website, I should add some phosphoric acid to the mix. Any suggestions as to where to get concentrated phosphoric acid locally?
https://youtu.be/7qSshRQLkgM

Last edited:

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
According to this video, and Neptune Harvest fertilizer website, I should add some phosphoric acid to the mix. Any suggestions as to where to get concentrated phosphoric acid locally?

That's Fly Carpin's Old Fashioned Country Googlin'. You need the simplest questions answered? C'mon down! Our crack team of internet researchers will have an answer for you in no time

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZSW3QX/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sulfur is not conducive to biological growth which is why sulfur drugs were/are used as an antibiotic. Phosphorus on the other hand is a very good fertilizer additive. I'd recommend doing some research on each of these acids before going with the most convenient option. Just a thought.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sulfur is not conducive to biological growth which is why sulfur drugs were/are used as an antibiotic. Phosphorus on the other hand is a very good fertilizer additive. I'd recommend doing some research on each of these acids before going with the most convenient option. Just a thought.

I found this online, "I have found that I can get a 5 gallon pail of Phosphoric Acid solution from the local farm supply store for about $95.00. ( It is used to flush milk pipes in dairy farm operations.)" Maybe I should check @ Runnings...

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
The job of the phosphoric acid is to bring the fermented mixture to a lower PH to stabilize the concentrate to prevent rotting. With the fish being whole you will not be able to stop the rotting.

Fermentation should be complete and your PH should already be lower with amino acids produced during the process. Should smell like vinegar when complete. Whole fish will take about 5 years for this to happen.

Save your money, the phosphoric acid will not provide any benefit at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Sulfur is a very important nutrient plants need to survive, we also need sulfur and get most of it from the plants we eat.

Quick google search I found this:

In plants, sulfur is essential for nitrogen-fixing nodules on legumes, and necessary in the formation of chlorophyll. Plants use sulfur in the processes of producing proteins, amino acids, enzymes and vitamins. Sulfur also helps the plant's resistance to disease, aids in growth, and in seed formation.

I use Epsom salt on my grass and magnesium sulfate sure makes my grass happy is the only real world example I have.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would grinding up the concoction now be a valid option? I can’t wait 5 years to see this end result.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lacto.jpg

These are the magic organisms that break down fish tissue into nutrients. I very recently became interested in this ancient process of fermentation and am very far from knowledgeable about the process.

Lycan's ( Chernobyl ) could be chocked up as a learning experience.

The liquid has a high concentration of micro organisms ( slime is a dead give away of high microbial count ) and would provide some benefit as a type of lactobacillius culture. Whole carp have provided some nutrients but not in the way desired. Although they will be the gift that keeps on giving.

I would shoot holes in the very bottom of the tote from ALONG ways off, and about January 30th haul it to the dump.

Just my .02$

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Salmon-nilla outbreak coming to a garden near Bismarck. Stay tuned for more info.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did order a couple boxes of these, so I have a backup plan...

[h=2]Product Overview[/h] Agriform 20-10-5 Planting Tablets Plus Minors 21 gm is a specially formulated fertilizer in a tablet form which will provide food to your plants for up to two years. It contains a combination macro and micronutrients which are essential to the growth and development of your plants. The action of soil bacteria gradually releases the nutrients which is absorbed by plants through the roots. It comes in a compact and pre-measured tablet formulation to guarantee adequate and uniform root zone feeding of trees, shrubs, and ground covers. This easy to handle tablet fertilizer is safe to use and will conveniently save you the trouble of measuring and mixing. The Agriform 21 gm. is sold 500 tablets per case.

Active Ingredient: Total Nitrogen - 20.00% Available Phosphate - 10.00% Soluble Potash - 5.00% Calcium - 3.00%, Magnesium - 0.70%, Sulfur - 2.00%, Boron - 0.04%, Copper - 0.05%, Iron - 0.50%, Manganese - 0.07%, Zinc - 0.05%

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Response from woman @ fish fertilizer company asking about ingredients they add to their product.
For all those wanting to try this @ home...

Phosphoric Acid only. Just enough to bring the pH down to 3.5.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Salmon-nilla outbreak coming to a garden near Bismarck. Stay tuned for more info.

This is either a really really bad attempt at spelling salmonella or a pretty witty play on words. I can’t tell

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75