Here we go again

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Commissioners initially were considering increasing property taxes by 23.5%. They reduced the proposed increase to 13% after cutting costs.”

hee hee hee

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
They better cut them more. Start with the stupid fkn bike lanes downtown.

I think they should do a two-year study about the bike lanes, utilizing a cross-section of every person who could ever even conceive of riding a bike.

Then they should put the freakin' bike lanes in. Then do another study, and decide to take them out.

All the while, changing the quantities, locations, and directions of all the one-ways in town.

Paint new parking spots (don't forget to do a study first kids!), then change the direction of the parking spots. Then change them back again.

Then maybe we could quick-like put in some more eagle monuments.

Oh, I'd also like to stuff some more money into the ridiculous Provident Life Building. Cuz THAT benefits my family and I.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My home taxes went up 55% in the past two years. They say they didn't raise taxes my homes value went up that much because of the oil boom. I don't think the oil boom has that much affect in Jamestown.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
oh jeez. Bobcat still hates me over the bike path thing... but my position is the same, if you are going to subsidize one hobby how do you not subsidize them all. Free shooting range sounds awesome..

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
the republicans spend just as bad as the democrats. No difference between the two imo --- until we get a third party you are going to bend over and over and over again.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now in Bismarck we have replaced bike lanes with giant center turning lanes on all the roads pushing the traffic right to the curb. Basically about every other year they are changing something back and forth. I'm sure in about a year they will be pushing a bill to build another high school and remodel every single other school in Bismarck, might as well throw another gym on BHS while we are at it.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now in Bismarck we have replaced bike lanes with giant center turning lanes on all the roads pushing the traffic right to the curb. Basically about every other year they are changing something back and forth. I'm sure in about a year they will be pushing a bill to build another high school and remodel every single other school in Bismarck, might as well throw another gym on BHS while we are at it.

Wondering how well this is going to work in the winter when the roads narrow because of 3 feet of snow along the curbs. Bismarck also put up a bunch of "no right turn on red" signs, which I hated, but have since removed most of them. Also, are the blue lights above the red lights necessary? Why blue? Why not just expose the red light from the side if the goal was for the cops to see that the light is red when they are perpendicular to it. Spend, spend, spend.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
the republicans spend just as bad as the democrats. No difference between the two imo --- until we get a third party you are going to bend over and over and over again.

I agree, once elected every politician changes there goal to getting re-elected and that usually means pork for the voters or backers. I once had a conversation about term limits where the point was brought up that you would end up with the support staff running the show. Maybe that would be a good thing. I would like to see that a politician need to have spent significant time (and business dealings) in the area they represent AND have to return to the area for a set time. No more Hillary buys a NY senate seat. A recent blurb about politician showed just how wealthy taking office makes them....

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem is that these folks govern with Utopian intent. They envision people biking along - clean air - everybody waving at each other like it's a Disney movie from the 60s. Sun shining, birds chirping... Utopia.

Wind, bugs, rain, storms, and cold/winter all make biking in ND a PITA for normal "commuters" who have to be able to rely on getting back/forth without hardship. Sure - you CAN bike in ND... but it's not for the majority of people and will not ever be mass transport on any scale.

I honestly do not recall the last time I saw someone biking the one-ways in Fargo in the bike lane.

- - - Updated - - -

Wondering how well this is going to work in the winter when the roads narrow because of 3 feet of snow along the curbs. Bismarck also put up a bunch of "no right turn on red" signs, which I hated, but have since removed most of them. Also, are the blue lights above the red lights necessary? Why blue? Why not just expose the red light from the side if the goal was for the cops to see that the light is red when they are perpendicular to it. Spend, spend, spend.

because it would confuse the traffic with the green light?

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
My home taxes went up 55% in the past two years. They say they didn't raise taxes my homes value went up that much because of the oil boom. I don't think the oil boom has that much affect in Jamestown.

Stutsman county is among the worst, it helps to live out of town.. There is plenty of oilfield people in Jamestown, trust me.. Jamestown real estate is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. I think some people are at least catching on and refusing to pay crazy prices because a lot of houses have been on market way over a year

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why have a bike path, seems like most ride on the streets trying to get run over, make them bike riders wear full face helmets to, so we don't have to laugh at them water melon helmets they wear

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe this is related at least partly to the legacy fund. There is a huge pile of $$$$ in Bismarck that they are all chomping at the bit to dig into, The local gov'ts will raise taxes, we will complain, and the legislature will hand them some money. It also serves as a huge slush fund/rainy day fund that enables the legislatures overspending. It will end up being one huge mistake and gov't will be the one to get the benefit of it.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Republican or Democrat, it doesn’t matter they are both big government crooks who should all be in jail. I honestly can’t believe what is happening at a local level. It’s like watching someone rob your house and there isn’t a damn thing you can do about it cause not matter who gets in there it’s the same ole sh#t. We are being robbed!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha, our government is a shit show at ALL levels no matter where you are. Ward county commissioner’s came out and said they need to raise taxes because the sales tax revenue isn’t what they expected because of low sales. :mad: The same day the local news reported that sales where up in Minot, Bismarck, Dickinson and Williston. Who the titty sprinkles do we believe? The biggest problem I see is that they base their spending off of projected revenues. That would be like me buying a million dollar house because I might get a raise. ;:;banghead

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
prostitute= someone who sells themselves to the highest bidder
politician=someone who sells themselves to the highest bidder.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
oh jeez. Bobcat still hates me over the bike path thing... but my position is the same, if you are going to subsidize one hobby how do you not subsidize them all. Free shooting range sounds awesome..

Way, WAY more people utilize a rifle range in Burleigh county than ride bikes in downtown Bismarck. Maybe we need a kite surfing lane.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys in Bismarck better hang on to your wallets. :;:smokin

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — A study finds that converting a historic North Dakota railroad bridge into a pedestrian bridge can be done but it would be expensive.
Landscape architecture professors at North Dakota State University looked at repurposing the Bismarck-Mandan Rail Bridge as a footbridge. The Bismarck Tribune reports the report concluded that would cost almost $6.9 million.
Proponents of saving the structure acknowledge that they don’t yet have any funding commitments.
Bridge owner BNSF Railway maintains that converting the 136-year-old bridge — rather than demolishing it — would delay a needed new bridge and also cause safety concerns.
The bridge over the Missouri River connects Bismarck and Mandan. Friends of the Rail Bridge is proposing to convert the bridge into a pedestrian and bicycle path.

Its now came out that Ward county and Minot are dropping our taxes. I'll believe it when I see my tax bill. ;:;popcorn

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62