HOWA 1500 with HS Precision Stock

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have one of these? Looking for some feedback from the tribe, possibly in the market since my 270 WSM took a dump.

Seems like a reasonably priced quality rifle.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What happened to your 270WSM?

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are in the market and want to go 270 (not short) I have a brand new Tikka in the box. Synthetic/SS. I'd let it go for less than cost. I purchased it from somebody who won it and needed the money instead.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Howas are fantastic guns, i own 2... don't know about that specific stock but they have made the action for weatherby since the 60's and nothing beats Japanese steel

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
What happened to your 270WSM?

Rem 700 CDL SF, shot OK for for the first 8 years I had the gun. Gun LOVE'd 140 grain accubonds. As of late- thing shoots 6-8" groups at 200 yards. I'm wondering what the hell happened. I count the boxes of ammo I've run thru the gun and I'm well shy of burning out the barrel. Frustrating.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rem 700 CDL SF, shot OK for for the first 8 years I had the gun. Gun LOVE'd 140 grain accubonds. As of late- thing shoots 6-8" groups at 200 yards. I'm wondering what the hell happened. I count the boxes of ammo I've run thru the gun and I'm well shy of burning out the barrel. Frustrating.
Sounds like what I tell my wife when i want to buy a new gun.....

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or an s-ton of copper fouling.

I'm not going to suggest you don't need more guns (we all do), but the current one could likely be saved with a good cleaning, ensuring that the barrel is free-floating and the action screws are properly torqued, and then
possibly look at of re-crowing. If all else fails, and you otherwise like the gun, a new custom barrel from a top manufacturer would have it shooting better than any new factory gun you buy.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'm not going to suggest you don't need more guns (we all do), but the current one could likely be saved with a good cleaning, ensuring that the barrel is free-floating and the action screws are properly torqued, and then
possibly look at of re-crowing. If all else fails, and you otherwise like the gun, a new custom barrel from a top manufacturer would have it shooting better than any new factory gun you buy.

I think you hit it on the head. and if you have never cleaned copper fouling out watch some youtube videos its more than running a patch through and calling it good.

I have never "shot a barrel" out presay but from what I read from custom gun makers they will not go from lights out to dog shit it will be a slow gradual progress of just getting worse with a 5 shot group having a flier then maybe eventually 2 fliers etc.

- - - Updated - - -

when you clean are you using a bore guide?? if not and you overclean a gun you will ruin your barrel very fast.
I would suggest getting/finding someone with a borescope to in fact check if your barrel is bad.

m77hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't give up on your .270. As others have said, clean any copper fouling, check the crown, check the action screws, and also check the scope mounts/bases. I had a rifle do that same thing to me. Everything seemed tight with the scope mounts, when I removed the scope to put a different one on, the front base was loose.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Agreed.

Most likely you'll find that the 270WSM is a fairly easy fix.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
ill buy it. asuming i get the discounted price for the defective barrel Thumbs Up

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76