New Mercury EFI Pro Kicker 15?

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Screenshot_20190807-094402_Gallery.jpg

I have no complaint on the kicker... run it this spring in 20 deg weather on the rainy and 90deg and humid on sak.. always fires right up on start up and runs good all day long. I installed the troll master 3 on it and love it... first use I filled the aux tank for the kicker and filled it at the end of the day, and only burned not even 1 gallon with 8 hours of run time. So it's smooth, quiet and burns no gas. The 15hp pushes my boat at max speed of 5.7mph and trolls down to almost nothing. I recommend it

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't the 9.9 less in weight why go 15 ? They are all doing efi now. Who ever paints the tahatsu (spelling) is going to be efi. su supposed to be the lightest. Is Merc trying to make one themselves?

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't the 9.9 less in weight why go 15 ? They are all doing efi now. Who ever paints the tahatsu (spelling) is going to be efi. su supposed to be the lightest. Is Merc trying to make one themselves?

9.9 isn't EFI yet. 14 lbs more for the 15. Pretty sure it's a Tohatsu. 15 has 12 amp alt vs 6 amp.

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been running one on my new rig this year and so far I have nothing but compliments for it. Starts easy and runs smooth from cold to hot. I run the tiller version and coming from my last 9.9 Pro-Kicker I do like the handle in the middle versus off to one side. It has taken a little getting use to the actual gear shift lever versus the throttle actuated gear shift of the 9.9. With the 9.9 being a little cold blooded, it would've been nice to have this set-up on that motor instead of having to reach down and push the neutral button to increase the throttle in neutral. With the EFI, I think the old 9.9 throttle/gear shift would actually be better since it runs so nice and isn't cold blooded. I will also say that if you try to pull start it, they must really have the pull started geared down or some type of compression release because they pull over like butter. the 9.9 pulled over way harder. I always try this just to check as it's kind of a last resort if all the battery's end up dead because of a short or something.

With that said, shorthairsrus, the reason for the 15 EFI over the 9.9 is Merc has not added EFI to the 9.9, she's still a carbed unit. The 15 is only like 18 lbs heavier, has a much bigger alternator that can keep up with charging at idle while remote steering with a power steering of the Verado, and has EFI. The additional thrust doesn't hurt either even though I hope to never really need it. For me, it was all about having EFI. I will say however the kicker is louder than the 350 Vrod sitting next to it, even my wife commented on it, lol.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Merc. 9.9 is not EFI yet. If you run a big Merc and want matching motors and an EFI kicker.... Weight difference is negligible, price difference is also negligible, and the EFI makes for a much smoother running motor.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
most likely running them out of the paint shed inventory--- as the new tohatsu's are efi. Are they running deals on the old carbed ?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76