East end lake Sakakawea walleye fishing

Skyler1101

Hey everyone , I’m curious I’ve always fished the west side of Sakakawea up in the arm can anyone give me any insight when in your opinion the best fishing is from say beaver bay and east time of year is what I’m looking for like when it gets really hot very consistent catches or is it always fair to consistent? I’m trying to save the miles and fish the east end more and just curious if there is a month or better time of year where it really heats up ... thanks everyone

Andymorg

I am from Montana and I just got off of the lake yesterday and fishing was so-so. I go to school in Bismarck so i frequent fishing up there, also because my uncle is a guide out of beulah. I know usually in June-early July the jig fishing can be great in the shallows and then late July the fishing usually starts to slow down. This year was a little different though. The fall fishing can be great with jigging raps. Sakakawea is one hell of a walleye lake and you'll usually be able to catch fish any time you go, whether it be the east end or the west end. This is only from my experience and I am no expert.

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
From my experience the east end is a here today gone tomorrow type of deal. Not too often can you catch fish 2 days in a row from the same spot. My best luck has always been to move alot & fish as many spots as you can until you stumble across an active school of fish. Then the next day start fresh again. That seems to hold true early in the year when its jig pitching season & even know when its more of a bottom bouncer or jigging rap bite.

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only thing better about the East end is there's waaay less people. And if your net moves, you usually won't have a dozen boats buzzing around you.

There's no "hot" time of year out there, it's inconsistent. But many walleyes are caught on that end of the lake.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had a great summer catching walleyes on Sakakawea and haven’t been as far west as Hazen bay yet.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The east end -- has always been a time and trial until you find em. But i remember the days when the east end loaded up so bad you could catch them anywhere.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That has more to do with water levels than anything. When the lake is down the smelt concentrate more in the lower 1/3 of the lake. With it this high they are spread out pretty good and so are the walleyes.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
That has to do with you having the Golden Horseshoe

Disagree. He is probably a better fisherman than most. Spent a lot of time on the water learning how to catch eyes all year. Does not move in on other fisherman and finds his own fish to fish!!!

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Disagree. He is probably a better fisherman than most. Spent a lot of time on the water learning how to catch eyes all year. Does not move in on other fisherman and finds his own fish to fish!!!
Considering he is a great friend of mine and I consider him to be a greater fisherman than most, and would be honored to take him in my boat any time he asked, I would humbly accept on bended knee his request to go fishing

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahh yes, the east end. It can be great :;:rockitor a fickle bitch ;:;barffrom one day to the next. I have fished it many, many years. Typically, for me any how, it gets good anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks after the west end/middle of the lake gets going. Last year I had great success from the middle of June to the end of July and never went more than a mile away from either ramp at Fort Stevenson. So far this year, not so much. I camped at Fort Stevenson from from July 31st to August 11th and struggled to find fish the first 7 days when it was hot and no wind. Kept 3 fish after 20 hours of fishing in 13 to 48 feet of water from Douglas Bay to Hwy 83 up until Thursday of last week. Finally found them on Thursday morning on a sunken island east of the park, pulling a slow death with 2 gold or silver beads on a BB with a live/plastic crawler in 29 to 31 feet of water at 1 to 1.2 mph. Took an hour and a half to get our 10.
F8F88CCE-C44D-48B7-8823-9F142416073C.jpg
Went back to the same sunken island Saturday morning, got there before the sun was up and had these after in 2.5 hours of fishing
CA46EB71-9C65-49FF-A5DA-5128AD7213C5.jpg
Caught with a pink and sliver, smile blade, and slow death with a Gulp crawler on a BB in 34 feet of water. If you were going faster than.9 mph you weren’t catching fish. Got chased off due to the weather before we got our 15. :(

Monks

Hey Guys , so I’m from Duluth MN and moved out here in March , just looking to meet some new people that love to fish as much as i do , i got my 2185 Recon out here and looking to go fill it with some eyes , i know its late in the season but if there’s any leagues or groups I’d love to join maybe next season ?? Not out for gps locations as i consider myself a pretty decent fisherman like i said just to meet some new fishing buddies .

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Guys , so I’m from Duluth MN and moved out here in March , just looking to meet some new people that love to fish as much as i do , i got my 2185 Recon out here and looking to go fill it with some eyes , i know its late in the season but if there’s any leagues or groups I’d love to join maybe next season ?? Not out for gps locations as i consider myself a pretty decent fisherman like i said just to meet some new fishing buddies .

Depending on the area you are in there is a Walleye Wizards league in the spring on the river, other than that nothing really for leagues or groups. Plenty of tournaments around the area. Your profile isn't set up to accept private messages yet.

Sotaman

Established Member

I am in Minot and I moved back to ND from Duluth as well. Shoot me a PM and I will answer any questions you have

Monks

So yeah call me in idiot but i can’t figure out how to PM or turn on PM capabilities but weather permitting I’m planning on hitting up the big lake this weekend for sure if your interested ..

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So yeah call me in idiot but i can’t figure out how to PM or turn on PM capabilities but weather permitting I’m planning on hitting up the big lake this weekend for sure if your interested ..

No luck for you on Leach or Winnie? Fishing is great on Sakakawea but is it worth the drive all the way to ND? If I was in MN and wanted great walleye fishing I would be a Lake of the Woods every weekend

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
No luck for you on Leach or Winnie? Fishing is great on Sakakawea but is it worth the drive all the way to ND? If I was in MN and wanted great walleye fishing I would be a Lake of the Woods every weekend

He said he moved here

Sotaman

Established Member

I will be at Sportsman Centennial all weekend.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74