Minn Kota Terrova issues

Huntfish24

I am having trouble with my cruise control on my trolling motor will not hold a steady speed. If I set it at a certain mph it will speed up or slow down. Just curious if anyone else is having this issue or if its something I am doing wrong? Tried Minn kota but they are not any help!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keeping it in legacy mode might help, sure helps the autopilot!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am having trouble with my cruise control on my trolling motor will not hold a steady speed. If I set it at a certain mph it will speed up or slow down. Just curious if anyone else is having this issue or if its something I am doing wrong? Tried Minn kota but they are not any help!

The motor speeds up/slows down based upon GPS speed recorded in the module on the side of the motor. The speed setting measures 360 degree speed, not heading speed so if the wind is blowing you laterally, that counts as "speed". Let's say you set your course @ 180 (straight South) and have a 10MPH W wind and set your cruise @ 1MPH. You would not end up exactly 1Mi S of your point of origin 60Min later. You'd be less than 1Mi S and some certain distance East but you will have been traveling @ 1MPH.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine runs up and own in the wind. With cruise set at say 0.5 mph and bucking a wind, it will run up to say 0.7 and then back down to 0.3. Remember your speed is being measured off of your puck, so the wind is obviously going to impact the speed of your boat...the troller is just trying to keep it constant.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine goes up and down. I don't like it. Problem is the reaction time is to slow. I run it on constant and adjust if necessary.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've owned two MinnKota iPilot trolling motors. The first was a non-Bluetooth Terrova. The 2nd (and current) is a Bluetooth Ulterra. Both were 24v. While the spot lock has improved with the Bluetooth model, the cruise control functions about the same. Works great if there is no wind but not so great with wind or direction changes (go from with the wind to into the wind). Reaction time is slow. It either falls behind then suddenly wakes up and overpowers or if you are going too fast and takes a while to slow down. I don't expect to be exact all the time but it does seem like it could do a better job with reaction time. At least with the Bluetooth models the software can be updated. Maybe they will get it figured out someday.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as you're moving at a speed close to what you want the fish won't care. You guys are getting a little too picky IMO.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i had this problem with my first terrova, and still do with the new one... i called them a few years ago and discussed it with a tech, and he told me that having it set at 1.3 and having it go from .7 to 1.9 was within their spec - i laughed... a precision speed tool it is not, and i never use the cc option at all because of it... i will say that the new gen anchor is now amazing - way better than the past models... i start and finish my open water season vertical jigging, and the anchor mode alone is worth the price imo...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75