Tobin Lake - Fall Fishing

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just thought I'd check with the experts of this fine forum about your knowledge of fall fishing up on Tobin Lake, Sk. Debating on making a trip up in October but don't know a thing about the place other than where it's at. school me please!

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My experience is if you want to catch the hogs, you pull crankbaits during the fall at night with snowballs hitting you in the ass. Otherwise, you have to settle for a bunch of 14 or 15 inch fish.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea cranks at night long lining in pretty shallow water in the river.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
We would always go up during the week of full moon. Because you're fishing at night you maneuver best with a large spotlight and shine it downstream to one of the corners in the bend (55gal can lights up from reflective tape) until you make the turn. Then, the spotlight shines downstream again until another 55gal barrel lights up and the boat heads to that point in the bend. From what I remember there are about four or five bends that you have to remember in order to get to a more straight section of the river. Save that trail and keep it for the next night!!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
its been 20 plus years since I fished out of Nipawin on the Saskatchewan River. We would typically go up the 2nd week of Oct the week before their big walleye tournament. Back then the preferred method for the big hawgs was slow drifting with Lindy rigs with 10' snells and jumbo leaches. We did try crank baits but most of the fish we caught with crank baits were in the slot limit.

Founding Member
Founding Member
We'll be there again, maybe see you on the water.
Been there many times, if all your doing is pulling cranks
your missing the boat. Just hope the weather doesn't turn shitty..that makes for a miserable trip on the water and road.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
During the day if you get a decent one go on the main lake and fish for pike. There are some tremendous pike in there. Dead bait like smelt or ciscoes on a quick strike rig or a jig head with bug stout hooks are the ticket. 10-15’ of water near the junction of the 2 channel arms. We caught 20-25 over 40” in a day. Biggest was 49”.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the responses, I'm contemplating at going up to Nipawin 2nd week in October. Sounds like there's some good walleye and pike opportunity which helps break things up if fishing is a little slow. Doesn't bother me to chase big pike in the fall as I do that around here also. Of course the real lure are some 10lb eyes but I'm not so much a walleye snob that I'm afraid to toss some baits for 45" pike! Has anybody tried pitching jigging raps up there? as well as they can work here in the fall I would think the same up there not?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went up there the third week of October 2014 and September 2015. Take a variety of different clothing along as in 2014 we fished in light jackets in the afternoons and in 2015 we had rain and snow. Boat ramp might be icy or snowy. Fished anywhere from sun up until 12 midnight. Caught fish up to just over 13 pounds. Still kicking myself for not bringing this back to get mounted in 2015. ;:;banghead

CF41688A-DD8E-4998-9FAB-561E31C76E64.jpg Would of been a cheap mount at 19”s and it looked like it was painted with a spray can.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We always went up around the pheasant opener. Tried to play the full moon ( sure helps for night navigation) because that river is a dark ass channel if no moon. Eagles nest , White Rock, and Grassy were the main cranking spots. Take your warmest clothes, rain gear, pack boots and then some. Hand warmers and portable propane heater were needed. If bunk trailer, after unloading spray bunks down with Pam to keep from freezing to trailer. Kitty litter for icy ramp. They may pull docks if very cold, so be prepared.
Have actually had to shovel snow out of boat before. Last trip a few years ago had to cut short because of ugly blizzard. Otherwise, hogs to be had up there...
If plan on livebaiting, start looking for it as soon as you get across border ( license also). Usually only dried minnows left up there.
Barbless hooks were not an issue.

Last edited:

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife caught one about 19" on Sakakawea in Beulah Bay that looked just like this back in 2010.

Went up there the third week of October 2014 and September 2015. Take a variety of different clothing along as in 2014 we fished in light jackets in the afternoons and in 2015 we had rain and snow. Boat ramp might be icy or snowy. Fished anywhere from sun up until 12 midnight. Caught fish up to just over 13 pounds. Still kicking myself for not bringing this back to get mounted in 2015. ;:;banghead

2020 by county.jpg Would of been a cheap mount at 19”s and it looked like it was painted with a spray can.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75