Voles?

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Menard's should pay you a sales commission, Lycan. Tried to buy some this morning and the shelves were empty. Good job!

Yea I was in there yesterday as well buying traps.

Lycan, could you provide an online link if you can find one for the traps you're talking about? I've put some regular ones out and have caught a couple but would like to see which ones you're talking about.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any update on your voles trap line? Definitely starting to feeling like fall in the air, so them critters along with spiders are trying to head indoors and set up shop for the winter. They must have read the news story from Farmers Almanac where they are saying chillier than normal temp and above normal snow. I remember that same forecast a few years back and it was probably one of the nicest winters we had. I want to say it was 2011-12.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think that the plastic traps are Jawz traps at Menards. They show in stock. I have one and they are deadly.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
good thread,great info here,i too was having issues after I tore down my old corn crib/shed after 20+ years out back of my place,only used to store decoys n such some beeches setup camp over the years that and a stand of pine trees nearby with a blanket of dead pine needles for cover when they went out searching for food,raked up the entire area,set fire to said area some beeches got pissed came into my house a few weeks ago,good thing my retriever is a nat'l champ mouser,glue traps did the trick so far even caught my dog with one last night,poor guy came to me this morning sat on my feet holding his paw up like "help me" haha now that its getting cooler i'll set out bait stations soon as they'll start looking for shelter and food source as they meanander up from my old creek bed.

I remember one show years ago of duck dynasty ole Phil Robertson was setting snap traps around his kitchen said it was time when his wheaties looked like rasin bran ....,goofy bastard probably ate the shit any way....

Last edited:

campchef

Honored Member
If rodent activity is any indication of a tough winter we're in for a doozy. Must have had some hitch a ride from the farm to home in Bis. Trapped 10 last week in the garage. Never had them before. Also finally got around to trying BBJ's solution (home made napalm) to pocket gophers. Haven't had that much fun in a long time.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any update on your voles trap line?

I have about a dozen traps out and caught 6 within the first few days. Have had a few tripped traps in the last 5 days but haven't caught any more. I also burned my brush pile so maybe they scattered a bit after that. They completely ruined my beets though so I'll have to be much more vigilant about trapping them next year!

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a couple outdoor cats. They're vole killing machines. Can't believe how many they leave on the driveway for me to appreciate.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a couple outdoor cats. They're vole killing machines. Can't believe how many they leave on the driveway for me to appreciate.

My in laws have a few cats that I've thought about borrowing for a week or so. As long as they didn't wander away...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fresh young german shorthair always made sure my yard was rodent free. Now that she turned 13 1/2 and only runs 5 miles a day and ranges about 100-150 yards she thinks she is special and that she doesnt have to do that "lab" work

- - - Updated - - -

Them damn rangey shorthairs

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MA3YJ5Y/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Load it with this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GYASHRS/?tag=nodakangler10-20

I had hundreds in my 2 acre yard north of Bismarck this spring. All gone now.

My PVC tubes for voles arrived in the mail. Still waiting on the pellet food so I can get the tubes outside, full of eats, and begin whacking that rodent population down.

I'll hopefully see success based on the numbers if critters laying in the tree rows and grass!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Voles ruined couple shrubs by our back pond, sonsabitches chewed the bark around every branch, will be a total redo on 4 bushes.

I even set out a block of mouse bait, seems they didnt want to try any of that.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
John, if you want them gone and have little hassle doing so the links above is a WONDERFUL solution. I bought the stuff and put it out in Fall 2019 and haven't had a vole or mole ever since. I just make sure the steel rods inside are filled and ready each spring and walk away. A little spendy, but DAMN that stuff took care of the issue quick like!

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
We had a vole problem at our cabin in the Black Hills last summer. Searched the internet to find something that wouldn't hurt the grand kids that play in the yard...juicy fruit gum. And damned if it didn't work.
cut the gum up in 1/4" squares, drop it in their runs. Little suckers were laying dead all over the next few weeks.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No ruined shrubs, but lawn paths all over the place.
Sonsabitches are back.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a vole problem at our cabin in the Black Hills last summer. Searched the internet to find something that wouldn't hurt the grand kids that play in the yard...juicy fruit gum. And damned if it didn't work.
cut the gum up in 1/4" squares, drop it in their runs. Little suckers were laying dead all over the next few weeks.
waaaat?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fruit bushes got hammered again this winter. Peeled the bark of damn near every stem. The rabbits had a field day with the young apple trees with the deep snow. Trees look white as the snow that just melted. Rodents are fast becoming number one on the HIT parade here abouts. Grrrrrr!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75