Insulate garage ceiling

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There was a time that inspectors wanted every thing plasticed up wall and ceilings so if you fart it still there next week. You have to have an air exchanger on your furnace or your going to have a moisture problem.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
lot of good info here thanks guys! ---and guy non itchy I will remember that.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Working in weatherization,I would'nt install anything but blown in attics,specifically cellulose.If you were to crawl into an attic with a thermal camera and pressurize a house,insulated with batts you will find leakage at every seam,and alot no matter how good they are laid in.
Cellulose is ,cheaper,has better air sealing properties,does not itch,and no voids in your thermal boundary when installed properly.
Personally the only time I would even think of blowing fiberglass would be areas where wieght or possible moisture issues may arise.
As far as ventilation goes,that gets trickier,venting for southern climates is very different than our northern climate,where frost and freezing temps become an issue,an attic loaded with chutes or whirly birds and poorly installed insulation is a recipe for disaster(that will probably piss off every roofer that reads it)but it all goes back to pulling warm moist air up through a cold attic=frost build up,ice dams,spring floods.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vent your eaves and blow in some insulation. Dont overcomplicate it. Weight isnt an issue with blow in unless you put an obnoxious amount up there.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used the menards shake and rake and have been pleased with it. Super simple and didnt need any one else to help me.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Side ? Why use sheet rock and not metal ?

Fire rateing some people think it looks nicer. One is not better than the the other personnel preference. I used 7/16 Osb because it was cheaper and I could do it by my self easy

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66