replacing gross 1970s paneling

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pull a panel and see how well it lets loose. Pulling/drawtight/guardz and skimming is a good option, however can be a daunting and overwhelming task if the paneling pulls hard. Not sure how skilled you are but Ive seen plenty of situations like yours go south because of skill limitations....new rock will give you consistantly better quality, but if you are confident enough in your taping/texturing skills skimming is a viable option. Keep in mind drawtight or guardz may not completely lay down all blisters the first coat and you will more than likely be cutting around these spots after your first skim, all depends on how easily the panels pull and how much paper is ripped off the rock.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not at all worried about getting old panel off. One sheet came off fine but they used adhesive so that's still there (adhesive let go of panel). Yes - if too much a mess due to adhesives etc, then drywall over the top is probably easiest.

I've drywalled, mudded, taped, etc. prior and had good luck - near perfect results. Of course at 1/10th speed of skilled drywallers. If that. Ha ha.

I was mostly interested in hearing from people who had positive or negative experiences with the new "horizontal" wood products of various types. Sound like not a lot of people have tried it.... maybe they're leery like me.

Last edited:

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When my wife and I first moved to town in 80, we bought an older doublewide. Not wanting to take all the paneling off, we filled the groves with light spackling, sanded, and covered with wallpaper. I thought it turned out well.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Things That Make Any House Feel Old and Outdated

[h=2]1. Dark Wood Paneling.[/h] Dark wood paneling was so popular in the 1960s and '70s that it was once nearly almost impossible to avoid in any neighborhood. Today, while many homeowners have phased out the dark and dreary feature in favor of neutral or brightly painted drywall, paneling remains in plenty of homes that haven't been remodeled in decades. If you have real wood paneling, consider bleaching or painting over it to freshen it up. If, however, the walls are covered by sheets of wood-look panels, pull them off now

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Middle of remodeling right now. Pulled paneling, was curious what it looked like behind it. Then did some barnwood type stuff in dining room with tin and knotty pine in living room. Far from done but it all went up fast, easy with brad nailer. All a learning experience for me as well. Im no handyman.. Snapchat-1240565359.jpgn20190817_145009.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76