DIY spray foam- fish house

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m planning on spray foaming my fish house. I’ve read some stuff about the horror stories of DIY spray foam. Smell down the road and clogged applicators during application. Anyone with any experience or advice? Thanks

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have to agree with raider,just as cheap to have it done.I use alot of 2pf foam for air sealing in weatherization.The closed cell foam we use runs about 1.00$ a board ft.You can find kits that are half that price,but they will be open cell foam and will have an R value of about 3 per in,closed cell will give you an R of a little over 6 per inch.
I prefer the handi foam paks over the Touch and Seal,little easier on the lungs when your respirator slips,and if your going to do it,do it before temps get cooler,or you will need to flash spray to heat surface and get it to adhere.If it gets too cold,save your money,it will pull away.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fish house is in a temp controlled environment. I’d like to think I’m capable of the project since I’ve built the thing from the ground up thus far, but I’m just trying to avoid major problems when I’ve got the project to this point. Thanks for your responses thus far.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive used them. Did closed cell. Pretty straight forward. That was back when we had no competition locally and it cost about 1.75 a foot to have someone else do it. I think my kits were about .80 a foot shipped to my door. Now that the locals are about 1.00 / foot, i would just pay to have them do it. And i would recommend the same to you if its not stupid expensive. Its worth the extra few dollars to not have to deal with the mess and have it done perfect. If you do it yourself, make sure your tanks are warm.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
After spraying my own home with kits I'm with Raider, have someone do it. You can find guys now that will do it for $1 a square foot per inch of thickness. I used www. sprayfoamdirect.com

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a date with the insulation guy. Little higher than DIY for price. I think it is worth the extra money and peace of mind knowing someone is guaranteeing their work.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a date with the insulation guy. Little higher than DIY for price. I think it is worth the extra money and peace of mind knowing someone is guaranteeing their work.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen

here's the thing with pricing of spray foam... your yield is not guaranteed... you buy it by the liquid pound and if the conditions aren't right, you will get less yield... if it is humid or cold, you could get a fraction of the yield that you should... you are relying on a chemical reaction for your yield, and if you have less than ideal conditions, you will end up with less than you think...

we sprayed a huge commercial job and it was cold... we had to put a flash coat on concrete to warm it up a bit for the next layer of foam to rise like it should... that flash coat to get us started yielded us 1/4" of foam when it should have given us 2"... you can absolutely lose your ass in a hurry if you don't know what you're doing...

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
here's the thing with pricing of spray foam... your yield is not guaranteed... you buy it by the liquid pound and if the conditions aren't right, you will get less yield... if it is humid or cold, you could get a fraction of the yield that you should... you are relying on a chemical reaction for your yield, and if you have less than ideal conditions, you will end up with less than you think...

we sprayed a huge commercial job and it was cold... we had to put a flash coat on concrete to warm it up a bit for the next layer of foam to rise like it should... that flash coat to get us started yielded us 1/4" of foam when it should have given us 2"... you can absolutely lose your ass in a hurry if you don't know what you're doing...

The ice house is in 75 degree temp controlled shop. If these conditions don’t fall in the scope of “good conditions”, I don’t know what would be ideal.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ice house is in 75 degree temp controlled shop. If these conditions don’t fall in the scope of “good conditions”, I don’t know what would be ideal.

good conditions:
75*
<14% moisture content of wood
dew point under 55*
barometer over 29.8
any steel dry

ideal conditions:
85*
<8% moisture content of wood
dew point under 45*
barometer over 30.3
any steel rust free and dry
(this is what your expected yield is based on by the manufacturer)

just trying to help, and just my experience - good luck...

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
good conditions:
75*
<14% moisture content of wood
dew point under 55*
barometer over 29.8
any steel dry

ideal conditions:
85*
<8% moisture content of wood
dew point under 45*
barometer over 30.3
any steel rust free and dry
(this is what your expected yield is based on by the manufacturer)

just trying to help, and just my experience - good luck...

I prefer to kill whitetails in 35 degree weather with light winds (ideal conditions) Doesn’t always work that way. They said 2” in the contract, so it’s their problem to solve if they miscalculated. Hopefully they padded themselves when they bid it out.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
what if it ends up 4"?

speaking from experience - too much can be a chore to remove

- - - Updated - - -

hint: multi-tool works wonders

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
my wife’s nephew (Jared Purdy) runs Interstate Spray Foam Insulation

he’s originally from Jamestown - in West Fargo now

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: house was foamed today. Turned out excellent. It took 2 professionals about 8 hours to do the job. I prepped some of the job and finished up cleaning things up in the end.

The guy who sprayed it said the same things raider said.

If I could do it over again, I’d pay a professional to do it.

My 2 cents: PAY A PRO

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63