New record Zander

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
When is someone going to get smart and put these things in Devils? Seems like a perfect fit to me! Also didnt they abandon the stocking effort because of a disease scare? Id guess they could test this resident population and if there is no disease, use them to start a stocking program in the state?

There is also concern with whether or not they would spawn with walleyes and sauger, creating yet another hybrid. This dilution of the the genetics in the wild is generally frowned upon by wildlife biologists and managers of fisheries.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are the give a ways that it is a zander and not a walleye?
The white tip on the tail is smaller the fins are spotted but the big giveaway is the very pronounce lateral line down there side. Add in that bit of a goofy head they have and you can generally spot them pretty easily if you're looking for them.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bismarck Tribune article from 2018:
[FONT=&quot]The Game and Fish Department stocked Spiritwood with 180,000 European zander fry and 1,050 fingerlings in 1989 but scrapped the program the next year because of concerns from neighboring states Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana and the province of Manitoba, Herald archives show.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Native to Europe, zander are considered an exotic species in the U.S. and can weigh more than 25 pounds. And while rare in Spiritwood Lake, occasional reports do occur. The state record zander measured 32 inches and weighed 11 pounds, 3 ounces and was caught July 17, 2013, according to the Game and Fish Department's Whopper Club database.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Zander bear a close resemblance to walleyes, although the dorsal fin has different markings, and the lateral line is more pronounced. Heim said the zander he caught fought harder than a walleye.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"You look at the way they're built, it's like a walleye, but if you look closer, the fins are just so much bigger than a walleye fins," Heim said. "I suppose they're able to draw more power."[/FONT]

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
It's well documented that the Canadians were concerned about Zander eventually finding their way into the Red River Basin and making their way north. Not only Canada but neighboring states were also concerned about the introduction of Zander. It's not known what affect the introduction of Zander would have on existing fisheries.

Odds of ever stocking more Zander are slim to none because the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced a final rule on September 30, 2016, to add 11 nonnative freshwater species to the list of injurious wildlife under the Lacey Act: 10 fish (crucian carp, Eurasian minnow, Prussian carp, roach, stone moroko, Nile perch, Amur sleeper, European perch, zander, wels catfish) and 1 crayfish (common yabby). The rule went into effect on October 31, 2016.These 11 species are not in U.S. trade or are negligible in trade, so the listing results in only a minor, if any, effect on the U.S. economy. If introduced into the wild in the United States, the 11 species have the potential to become highly invasive and cause harm to freshwater habitats, native species, and the local economies these natural resources support. Therefore, the Service took this proactive step to keep these species out of the country. As a result of the injurious listing, importation and shipment between the continental United States, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any possession of the United States is prohibited, except as authorized by permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for scientific, medical, educational, or zoological purposes.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they abonandened it because of numerous issues. One was, our wonderful neighbors to the north were whinning about it getting into their waterways. ;:;banghead
Tired of the neighbors to the north/east sceme. Mn telling us they are worried about our ANS.... hahaha eff off! When are they going to start hearing our concerns..... tell ya what.... keep your zebras on your side of the river and we will keep our zander on ours. As far as canada Trudaeu can eff off too.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bass boat -- not much different -- you can troll, you can jig, .......... you can spend a hell of lot less cash and HP and blow by a tricked out walleye boat just like they are standing still, and they burn less gas. Every year our bass tournament would have 7 8lbs walleyes caught on a variety of lures --- yes a ZARA SPOOK!!!!!!too!!!!!

I know they said that some BS disease was in europe and that it would come over with these. Come on -- -Henegar was brilliant for stocking these. Same with the smelt --- where would be now on SAK without smelt?

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well we have a 30 year experiment going on Spiritwood and it hasn't seemed to effect the smallies or walleye in that lake to my knowledge.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, F Canada! F'in hockey pucks. ;:;rofl Their why we haven't pumped a drop of water into the NWAW's pipeline since it was put into the ground since I believe it was 2002. I wonder if we have ever put up a stink about the shit they flush/put in their water that flows into ND.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zander tourneys. May need a larger: giantheavydutydogcrate54inchArquette.jpg

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's well documented that the Canadians were concerned about Zander eventually finding their way into the Red River Basin and making their way north. Not only Canada but neighboring states were also concerned about the introduction of Zander. It's not known what affect the introduction of Zander would have on existing fisheries.

Odds of ever stocking more Zander are slim to none because the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced a final rule on September 30, 2016, to add 11 nonnative freshwater species to the list of injurious wildlife under the Lacey Act: 10 fish (crucian carp, Eurasian minnow, Prussian carp, roach, stone moroko, Nile perch, Amur sleeper, European perch, zander, wels catfish) and 1 crayfish (common yabby). The rule went into effect on October 31, 2016.These 11 species are not in U.S. trade or are negligible in trade, so the listing results in only a minor, if any, effect on the U.S. economy. If introduced into the wild in the United States, the 11 species have the potential to become highly invasive and cause harm to freshwater habitats, native species, and the local economies these natural resources support. Therefore, the Service took this proactive step to keep these species out of the country. As a result of the injurious listing, importation and shipment between the continental United States, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any possession of the United States is prohibited, except as authorized by permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for scientific, medical, educational, or zoological purposes.
Man they banned European perch too bastards are no fun I for one would love to have some lakes stocked with these things. Who wouldn't want 4 and 5 pound perch!
perch european uk ireland sweden holland denmark  world record biggest fish ever caught big huge.jpg
perch germany world record biggest fish ever caught big huge fishes records largest monster fish.jpg

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I knew it! I knew someone on here would see the snook in them. I couldn't be the only one.

Good on ya Randy!
With that dark lateral line and that classic snook face it definitely gives it the right look.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75