User Tag List

  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • WTF!?
  • zzz
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 21 to 36 of 36
    1. Back To Top    #21
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Allen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Lincoln, kinda...
      Posts
      2,587
      NDA Points
      35,171
      NDA Level
      82
      Report Entries
      5
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,016
      Given: 1,174
      Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
      When is someone going to get smart and put these things in Devils? Seems like a perfect fit to me! Also didnt they abandon the stocking effort because of a disease scare? Id guess they could test this resident population and if there is no disease, use them to start a stocking program in the state?

      There is also concern with whether or not they would spawn with walleyes and sauger, creating yet another hybrid. This dilution of the the genetics in the wild is generally frowned upon by wildlife biologists and managers of fisheries.

      0 Not allowed!
      "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." Mark Twain, speaking on Congress.

    2. Back To Top    #22
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      dean nelson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      3,797
      NDA Points
      210,389
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      12
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,140
      Given: 2,110
      Quote Originally Posted by Sotaman View Post
      What are the give a ways that it is a zander and not a walleye?
      The white tip on the tail is smaller the fins are spotted but the big giveaway is the very pronounce lateral line down there side. Add in that bit of a goofy head they have and you can generally spot them pretty easily if you're looking for them.

      0 Not allowed!

    3. Back To Top    #23
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Up Y'oars's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      671
      NDA Points
      20,462
      NDA Level
      62
      Report Entries
      27
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 577
      Given: 872
      Bismarck Tribune article from 2018:
      The Game and Fish Department stocked Spiritwood with 180,000 European zander fry and 1,050 fingerlings in 1989 but scrapped the program the next year because of concerns from neighboring states Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana and the province of Manitoba, Herald archives show.


      Native to Europe, zander are considered an exotic species in the U.S. and can weigh more than 25 pounds. And while rare in Spiritwood Lake, occasional reports do occur. The state record zander measured 32 inches and weighed 11 pounds, 3 ounces and was caught July 17, 2013, according to the Game and Fish Department's Whopper Club database.


      Zander bear a close resemblance to walleyes, although the dorsal fin has different markings, and the lateral line is more pronounced. Heim said the zander he caught fought harder than a walleye.


      "You look at the way they're built, it's like a walleye, but if you look closer, the fins are just so much bigger than a walleye fins," Heim said. "I suppose they're able to draw more power."

      0 Not allowed!

    4. Back To Top    #24
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Allen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Lincoln, kinda...
      Posts
      2,587
      NDA Points
      35,171
      NDA Level
      82
      Report Entries
      5
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,016
      Given: 1,174
      Quote Originally Posted by tikkalover View Post
      I think they abonandened it because of numerous issues. One was, our wonderful neighbors to the north were whinning about it getting into their waterways.
      Neighbors to the south, Spiritwood drains into the James.

      0 Not allowed!
      "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." Mark Twain, speaking on Congress.

    5. Back To Top    #25
      Bronze Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      NW Minnesota
      Posts
      48
      NDA Points
      1,870
      NDA Level
      17
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 48
      Given: 4
      Classifieds
      1
      It's well documented that the Canadians were concerned about Zander eventually finding their way into the Red River Basin and making their way north. Not only Canada but neighboring states were also concerned about the introduction of Zander. It's not known what affect the introduction of Zander would have on existing fisheries.

      Odds of ever stocking more Zander are slim to none because the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced a final rule on September 30, 2016, to add 11 nonnative freshwater species to the list of injurious wildlife under the Lacey Act: 10 fish (crucian carp, Eurasian minnow, Prussian carp, roach, stone moroko, Nile perch, Amur sleeper, European perch, zander, wels catfish) and 1 crayfish (common yabby). The rule went into effect on October 31, 2016.These 11 species are not in U.S. trade or are negligible in trade, so the listing results in only a minor, if any, effect on the U.S. economy. If introduced into the wild in the United States, the 11 species have the potential to become highly invasive and cause harm to freshwater habitats, native species, and the local economies these natural resources support. Therefore, the Service took this proactive step to keep these species out of the country. As a result of the injurious listing, importation and shipment between the continental United States, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any possession of the United States is prohibited, except as authorized by permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for scientific, medical, educational, or zoological purposes.

      0 Not allowed!

    6. Back To Top    #26
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      WTF!?
       
      Trip McNeely's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Burleigh county
      Posts
      577
      NDA Points
      7,402
      NDA Level
      36
      Report Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 625
      Given: 562
      Quote Originally Posted by tikkalover View Post
      I think they abonandened it because of numerous issues. One was, our wonderful neighbors to the north were whinning about it getting into their waterways.
      Tired of the neighbors to the north/east sceme. Mn telling us they are worried about our ANS.... hahaha eff off! When are they going to start hearing our concerns..... tell ya what.... keep your zebras on your side of the river and we will keep our zander on ours. As far as canada Trudaeu can eff off too.

      1 Not allowed!

    7. Back To Top    #27
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      shorthairsrus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      2,720
      NDA Points
      115,122
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      14
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,609
      Given: 538
      Bass boat -- not much different -- you can troll, you can jig, .......... you can spend a hell of lot less cash and HP and blow by a tricked out walleye boat just like they are standing still, and they burn less gas. Every year our bass tournament would have 7 8lbs walleyes caught on a variety of lures --- yes a ZARA SPOOK!!!!!!too!!!!!

      I know they said that some BS disease was in europe and that it would come over with these. Come on -- -Henegar was brilliant for stocking these. Same with the smelt --- where would be now on SAK without smelt?

      0 Not allowed!

    8. Back To Top    #28
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      BRK's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      Halfway between Bismarck and Fargo
      Posts
      360
      NDA Points
      6,639
      NDA Level
      34
      Report Entries
      9
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 332
      Given: 110
      Well we have a 30 year experiment going on Spiritwood and it hasn't seemed to effect the smallies or walleye in that lake to my knowledge.

      3 Not allowed!

    9. Back To Top    #29
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      tikkalover's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Minot
      Posts
      2,726
      NDA Points
      88,195
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      22
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,462
      Given: 7,380
      I agree, F Canada! F'in hockey pucks. Their why we haven't pumped a drop of water into the NWAW's pipeline since it was put into the ground since I believe it was 2002. I wonder if we have ever put up a stink about the shit they flush/put in their water that flows into ND.

      1 Not allowed!

    10. Back To Top    #30
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      shorthairsrus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      2,720
      NDA Points
      115,122
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      14
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,609
      Given: 538
      Zander tourneys. May need a larger:Name:  giantheavydutydogcrate54inchArquette.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  97.8 KB

      5 Not allowed!

    11. Back To Top    #31
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      dean nelson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      3,797
      NDA Points
      210,389
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      12
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,140
      Given: 2,110
      Quote Originally Posted by reddevilwoodsman View Post
      It's well documented that the Canadians were concerned about Zander eventually finding their way into the Red River Basin and making their way north. Not only Canada but neighboring states were also concerned about the introduction of Zander. It's not known what affect the introduction of Zander would have on existing fisheries.

      Odds of ever stocking more Zander are slim to none because the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced a final rule on September 30, 2016, to add 11 nonnative freshwater species to the list of injurious wildlife under the Lacey Act: 10 fish (crucian carp, Eurasian minnow, Prussian carp, roach, stone moroko, Nile perch, Amur sleeper, European perch, zander, wels catfish) and 1 crayfish (common yabby). The rule went into effect on October 31, 2016.These 11 species are not in U.S. trade or are negligible in trade, so the listing results in only a minor, if any, effect on the U.S. economy. If introduced into the wild in the United States, the 11 species have the potential to become highly invasive and cause harm to freshwater habitats, native species, and the local economies these natural resources support. Therefore, the Service took this proactive step to keep these species out of the country. As a result of the injurious listing, importation and shipment between the continental United States, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any possession of the United States is prohibited, except as authorized by permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for scientific, medical, educational, or zoological purposes.
      Man they banned European perch too bastards are no fun I for one would love to have some lakes stocked with these things. Who wouldn't want 4 and 5 pound perch!
      Name:  perch european uk ireland sweden holland denmark  world record biggest fish ever caught big huge.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  52.2 KB
      Name:  perch germany world record biggest fish ever caught big huge fishes records largest monster fish.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  63.6 KB

      2 Not allowed!

    12. Back To Top    #32
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      JayKay's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Southeast Bismarck
      Posts
      2,188
      NDA Points
      125,040
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      7
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,991
      Given: 5,840
      Quote Originally Posted by guywhofishes View Post
      they look snookier to me
      I knew it! I knew someone on here would see the snook in them. I couldn't be the only one.

      Good on ya Randy!

      1 Not allowed!

    13. Back To Top    #33
      Gold Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Posts
      163
      NDA Points
      12,645
      NDA Level
      48
      Report Entries
      4
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 59
      Given: 0
      I knew some Zanders from Mandan.

      2 Not allowed!

    14. Back To Top    #34
      Gold Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      105
      NDA Points
      6,595
      NDA Level
      34
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 163
      Given: 77
      Quote Originally Posted by Sum1 View Post

      - - - Updated - - -

      Definitely a bass boat. Wonder how he caught it?.
      Probably without sleeves, Skynyrd blaring from the speakers and the wife/sister manning the net.

      0 Not allowed!

    15. Back To Top    #35
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      dean nelson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      3,797
      NDA Points
      210,389
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      12
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,140
      Given: 2,110
      Quote Originally Posted by JayKay View Post
      I knew it! I knew someone on here would see the snook in them. I couldn't be the only one.

      Good on ya Randy!
      With that dark lateral line and that classic snook face it definitely gives it the right look.

      0 Not allowed!

    16. Back To Top    #36
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      johnr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Dickinson
      Posts
      7,109
      NDA Points
      101,832
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 8,524
      Given: 7,091
      Quote Originally Posted by frozen4sioux View Post
      Probably without sleeves, Skynyrd blaring from the speakers and the wife/sister manning the net.
      Skynard, ����

      0 Not allowed!

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  


    About Nodak Angler

      NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

    Business & Contact

    Follow us on

    Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube