Maximum Effective Distance

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was wondering what the maximum killing range for a 55 pound compound bow would be. I'm shooting a 400 grain arrow with a 125 grain Rage Hypodermic broadhead. My bow speed is about 235 fps. Draw length 31 inches.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the little I know you should not be shooting a mechanical broad head as they soak up a shit ton of energy. Fixed blade would probably be better for that set up.

- - - Updated - - -

Also how good can you shoot when the pressure is on

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be very careful with the set up you have. You are shooting a lighter arrow, not super light, but anything under 400 grains, in my opinion gets to be very light. You are also shooting at a slower speed with a broadhead that with soak up your kinetic energy when it deploys and you won't have enough weight in the arrow to create the momentum you need for maximum penetration.

To answer your question, I would say your max distance, (perfect conditions, broadside shot, no wind, comfortable stance, good shooting form, calm and stationary target) would be 30 yards. inside 20 would be ideal.

If it is within your budget I would strongly consider going to a fixed blade to start and if you can swing it a bit heavier arrow. Lots of quality fixed blades out there from 2 to 3 blades. Most of those should give you a pass through on a broadside shot with your set up inside of 30 yards.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which Rage Hypodermic? Whats the cutting diameter? There's a few different ones.
Also, is 400 grains the bare arrow, or with the 125 grain head on it?
And what are we killing? Elk or Moose would be a different story than deer.

Even with that info, "max range" is largely speculation. However, in general, and especially with mechanicals, the larger the cutting diameter, the lower the penetration. If you make a good shot through the lungs, that setup is likely quite lethal to 50 yards or more, but if you hit a rib or bigger bone at that range, it won't be good. I would probably not shoot past 35 yards and also consider switching to a fixed blade.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
H28bogey is spot on.
if you have anything other than a broadside shot your penetration will be severly lacking, will prolly be lacking with broadside.
go with a good fixed blade and hit it where it needs to be hit nothing will live.

- - - Updated - - -

im new to archery wife shoots a hoyy powermax set at 51lbs im learning from a person i would consider a die hard skilled archer and he literally told me not to set her up with mechanicals heads for that reasone h28 mentioned. she shoots the G5 striker v2 which are spot on with her fields points

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fixed blade and two blade. Since penetration is going to be a concern, use a broad head that does the most to ensure pass through and punctured lungs. 125 grain will give you a little more KE at distance than a 100gr would as well. I don’t know about the distance question, maybe 50 yards?

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Which Rage Hypodermic? Whats the cutting diameter? There's a few different ones.
Also, is 400 grains the bare arrow, or with the 125 grain head on it?
And what are we killing? Elk or Moose would be a different story than deer.

Even with that info, "max range" is largely speculation. However, in general, and especially with mechanicals, the larger the cutting diameter, the lower the penetration. If you make a good shot through the lungs, that setup is likely quite lethal to 50 yards or more, but if you hit a rib or bigger bone at that range, it won't be good. I would probably not shoot past 35 yards and also consider switching to a fixed blade.

I guess the arrows are 350 grains by themselves. I'm hunting antelope. I also have some Muzzy MX3 and some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EK4NC5Q/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Here is a pretty good podcast on building arrows. The guest is known as the ‘Ranch Fairy’ and builds and sings the praises of heavy arrows. Anything under 500 total grains he considers a child’s arrow. Real interesting thing to consider. I haven’t gone off the deep end of heavy arrows but I did up mine to about 450 grains total and will likely try some heavy single bevels next year.

Building Heavy Arrows

- - - Updated - - -

Drayweb, are you saying your overall arrow weight is 400 grains or are you shooting a 400 spine arrow? If it’s the latter, then I would consider that an inadequate set up for big game.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've found that the maximum effective range for archery gear, as well as rifles, is directly related to the size of the buck being targeted. Unfortunately, it seems the larger the buck, the further away the effective range for the gear being used seems to get. Be realistic with the limitations of your gear and you should be fine. I agree with H28bogey. 20 yards is optimum, 30 yards would be my max with perfect conditions using what you have. Good Luck!!

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might want to look into a faster newer style bow as well. With a 31 inch draw and shooting 55 lbs you should be zipping them faster than 235. If you want to stay with a mechanical maybe go to a 1.5" rear deploying head like a sevr. With a faster bow with your 31/55 and shooting a quality fixed head head or sevr you shouldn't have a problem shooting a deer at any normal distance anyone else is shooting at.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Here is a pretty good podcast on building arrows. The guest is known as the ‘Ranch Fairy’ and builds and sings the praises of heavy arrows. Anything under 500 total grains he considers a child’s arrow. Real interesting thing to consider. I haven’t gone off the deep end of heavy arrows but I did up mine to about 450 grains total and will likely try some heavy single bevels next year.

Building Heavy Arrows

- - - Updated - - -

Drayweb, are you saying your overall arrow weight is 400 grains or are you shooting a 400 spine arrow? If it’s the latter, then I would consider that an inadequate set up for big game.

It's a 300 spine arrow. Hoyt Powermax bow.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 340 with 70 pounds these are fmj with 100 grain Strickland helix heads. I could be all messed up with the spine just got what archery shop said I should

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the little I know you should not be shooting a mechanical broad head as they soak up a shit ton of energy. Fixed blade would probably be better for that set up.

- - - Updated - - -

Also how good can you shoot when the pressure is on

I wish a guy could harness the adrenaline and buck fever I have when I’m about to pull back on a big animal. It would be the best drug ever. I’ve shot quite a few nice animals and every single time I don’t even know what just happened after the shot. Lol

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Things sure have changed in my lifetime. The manufactures and outdoor writers do a good sales job. First heavy arrows are the rage, then light, then heavy, then light again, and now back to heavy. I started out in 1958 with a 28lb fiberglass recurve. Light, but it met the requirement of shooting my arrow with broadhead 135 yards. I then went to a 60lb compound, then a 70lb, then an 82 lb York. Then back to 70, then back to 60.
In the 1950s a 45lb Bear recurve was the bow to have. I killed my first deer at 12 years old in 1960. I was shooting that 28lb fiberglass recurve that I bought new for $4. My arrows were 19 cents and Bodkin broadheads were a dime. You couldn't get a good edge on those Bodkins so I followed the advise of one of those outdoor writers, I used a glue called Pliobond and glued Gillet razor blades to the Bodkin. My whole arrow didn't pass through that doe, but the broadhead did.
Google arrow ballistics. They don't loose speed fast. Even my old Bear 45lb with 500gr arrows would perhaps kill nearly as well at 50 yards as 20 yards. One would have been foolish to shoot beyond 30, but my point is most modern 50lb compounds are lethal beyond the yardage we should be shooting.
The requirement in Africa for Cape Buffalo is interesting. They don't care about bow weights or arrow weights etc. Your setup is required to have 60 lb of kenetic energy. That's velocity squared, times mass, divided by hmm I think it's 450240.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66