Archery Mule Deer

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spot and stalk archery mule deer is the hardest thing you can do imo. Guys that kill big ones every year are awesome and rare.

My biggest problem is finding a big enough one. Ha

hard to kill what u can’t find in the first place. Then u hope they don’t bed in a jungle.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take the time figure out the best approach when you find one. The last thing you want is for you to spend 3 hours stalking a bedded buck only to realize that when you get to your "spot" you have no shot, or the last 100 yards leaves you exposed.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've not hunted mulies with stick and string, but have a good buddy that does it all the time. His advice has always been, knee pads, elbow pads, and thick leather gloves. The stalk is everything according to him and if you're in pain from thorns, cactus, scrapes, and other crawling related issues, you make mistakes. He takes all the gear off when he stalks that last 50 yards or so and even has leather slippers he can put on when he gets real close. Good Luck!!!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do really wish GNF would do a mandatory reporting especially for the badlands. It would be interesting the amount of hunter days per Mulie taken. I know i have now put in 12 days in the last 3 years without ever drawing back. Had a brute at 100yds, but closing the next 50 is where crap gets real. I really just started hitting it hard last year so still much to learn.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the number one mistake I see most hunters make. Make sure you are well below the skyline and walk SLOW.

Don't be afraid to sit well in to the morning and start sitting a few hours before sunset. You will see more deer sitting than walking. If you aren't seeing much, move locations the next morning or that evening. Don't move after not seeing anything for an hour and expect to strike gold.

The other major mistake I see/hear is when hunters "whisper". Drives me nuts! Sound carries incredibly well out there, so don't talk unless absolutely necessary.

right?

what screams “we’re up to no good” louder than the sound of humans whispering?

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So I have an opportunity to go on an opening weekend Mule Deer hunt out west this year and am pretty pumped about it. I've never hunted mule deer before with bow or rifle and have been reading any articles I can find to hopefully avoid looking like a fool out there. Does anybody have any last minute tips or advice that they would be willing to share?

Don't worry about this. The deer will take care of this

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do really wish GNF would do a mandatory reporting especially for the badlands. It would be interesting the amount of hunter days per Mulie taken. I know i have now put in 12 days in the last 3 years without ever drawing back. Had a brute at 100yds, but closing the next 50 is where crap gets real. I really just started hitting it hard last year so still much to learn.

I don't know the exact number, but since 2012 I am well over 50 days. Shot twice. Harvested an animal once. Now I don't hunt the badlands exclusively so if I were to invest all my time into "learning an area out there" my odds would probably increase some.

allsitka

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some good info on here. I will throw in my two cents. I grew up in southeast MT and rifle hunted mule deer in my teens and early twenties. In my early thirties I lived in Bowman, ND and started bow hunting. Early season mule deer can be very difficult. Summer herds with many eyes. It can also be a great time to kill a mature deer that's left the herd early. If it's hot, hunting will be tough. Find them early in the morning. Hopefully the weather cooperates and the deer are moving for you. Be in descent shape. Sometimes you need to cover some nasty ground. Like others said glassing is a big part of it. Don't be afraid to sit in one spot for awhile. Stalking is a big part of it. You don't have to take all your gear off when stalking. Personally I keep my boots on. Keep some gear with you so you can adapt to the situation. Wind is an even bigger part of it. If the wind is wrong it's not worth it. Take a buddy or two and yes watch out for cactus and rattlesnakes. Don't set expectations so high you are disappointed with the deer you see. Although there are some giant deer out west. Knock on doors, introduce yourself, and ask for permission if you need to. The worst that can happen is they say no. I have successfully spot and stalked two mule deer during 8 years of bowhunting. It's tough. If you make a stalk and it doesn't work stay positive. It's easy to "lose it" after 3 hours of waiting, crawling, and waiting only to have the deer bolt on you. Again, adapt to the situation. I love hunting those big eared buggers, they are an incredible challenge, but you can have success. Good luck.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have an opportunity to go on an opening weekend Mule Deer hunt out west this year and am pretty pumped about it. I've never hunted mule deer before with bow or rifle and have been reading any articles I can find to hopefully avoid looking like a fool out there. Does anybody have any last minute tips or advice that they would be willing to share?

Rangefinder. Ranges are much more difficult to judge in unfamiliar country, especially in places across draws/canyons/coulees w/no ground between you and your target.

Carry lots of water. It's nothing to find yourself several miles from the truck when you only meant to just "peek over the next rise."

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait a couple weeks, why go when it's a rat race out there..

cpete00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of good stuff here! Thank you for all the tips, I feel pretty unprepared but you have to start somewhere I guess. Gonna consider it a success if I just see something out there. Good hunting to everybody that is heading out for deer or antelope!

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fun way to hunt for sure! Good luck! Make sure you post an update when you get back

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rangefinder. Ranges are much more difficult to judge in unfamiliar country, especially in places across draws/canyons/coulees w/no ground between you and your target.

Carry lots of water. It's nothing to find yourself several miles from the truck when you only meant to just "peek over the next rise."

If I had a dollar for every time that happened...

I'd be at least a hundredaire.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just go out and hunt. Binos and your bow that is what bowhunting is all about. If you are worried about success stay home and hunt whitetails. Get off the road and walk over a hill and you will find deer it is that simple. The internet and social media has exploited more good hunting areas over the last 10-15 years. The millennials think that there is a 200 incher behind every tree as all they do is stare at there phone. Go back to the basics and just go hunting.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just go out and hunt. Binos and your bow that is what bowhunting is all about. If you are worried about success stay home and hunt whitetails. Get off the road and walk over a hill and you will find deer it is that simple. The internet and social media has exploited more good hunting areas over the last 10-15 years. The millennials think that there is a 200 incher behind every tree as all they do is stare at there phone. Go back to the basics and just go hunting.
3ad.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73