Montana mule deer

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are some good high energy snack to throw in a pack for the day.

There will be 5 of us hunting so we will split up some of the gear to keep packs light as possible. Probably won't be getting more than 2 or 3 miles from the pickup but depending the area we may park one pickup and work towards the 2nd. Will also have tow straps and what not in the pickup
If you’re trying to stay light in the pack, go with calorie dense snacks like jerky, nuts, and dried fruit

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pre made peanut butter and bacon sandwich’s are delicious and super high calorie.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Riding in the pickup with you after you’ve had a few clif bars is gas mask territory (grin)

Clif bars don't change much once you've eaten them. In other words, they pretty much look the same coming out as they did going in.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pre made peanut butter and bacon sandwich’s are delicious and super high calorie.

Yep, delicious! Although I put honey on mine as well. Lightly toast the bread and put the honey in the middle and it doesn't get soggy.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wags nailed it with the peanut butter bacon sandwiches.

also make sure to bring toilet paper, lots of layers including something water proof and extra socks, a good firestarter we used elk hunting was an chew tin filled with diesel soaked wood shavings.

I also have a general mule deer tag. No idea where we will be hunting yet, a few friends are planning on scouting this weekend straight west of the ND/SD border. I was lucky enough to draw a ND moose tag so that trumps scouting mule deer.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are some good high energy snack to throw in a pack for the day.

There will be 5 of us hunting so we will split up some of the gear to keep packs light as possible. Probably won't be getting more than 2 or 3 miles from the pickup but depending the area we may park one pickup and work towards the 2nd. Will also have tow straps and what not in the pickup

The gear that you've identified for day hunting belongs in every pack. Everyone should have their own food, headlamp, layers, and emergency supplies. I don't see the need to split up gear during day hunts. Don't forget a few extra batteries as well.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
The gear that you've identified for day hunting belongs in every pack. Everyone should have their own food, headlamp, layers, and emergency supplies. I don't see the need to split up gear during day hunts. Don't forget a few extra batteries as well.
By splitting gear I was talking spotting scopes tripods and other things that we don't need to have more that 2 of.

I have 1 headlamp and 1 flashing on my packing list as well as 2 sets of batteries for each and a few chemical glow sticks if worst comes to worst

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wags nailed it with the peanut butter bacon sandwiches.

also make sure to bring toilet paper, lots of layers including something water proof and extra socks, a good firestarter we used elk hunting was an chew tin filled with diesel soaked wood shavings.

I also have a general mule deer tag. No idea where we will be hunting yet, a few friends are planning on scouting this weekend straight west of the ND/SD border. I was lucky enough to draw a ND moose tag so that trumps scouting mule deer.

That is a good fire starter too. We used to have a plastic container filled with lint from the clothes dryer and then gel fire starter mixed with the lint. You can put it into any type of plastic container. That stuff worked slick and burned for quite awhile and really burned hot. Can't remember the gel fire starter that we used.
Brings back many good memories reading all of your advice! Have a great hunting season boys!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
By splitting gear I was talking spotting scopes tripods and other things that we don't need to have more that 2 of.

I have 1 headlamp and 1 flashing on my packing list as well as 2 sets of batteries for each and a few chemical glow sticks if worst comes to worst

i would have each person have a full glassing set up as that is the most important to finding them. Bino on tripod is life changing

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

In AK we split the spotter/tripod/camera (DSLR camera w/telephoto lens is over 5#). 3 person hunting party, each person carried one item. I haven't carried that DSLR camera in my pack since.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another good option for fire starters is trioxane bars or cotton balls with Vaseline.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69