Fall bite on Sakakawea?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never had a chance to get to Sak this summer but am contemplating a trip in October. It seems the fishing this year was much more spotty than past years. Or should I say not "easy" like it was the previous couple. Any guesses on how the fall bite will be? From reading on past years it looks like deep fish keying on smelt is is the most common tactic. Any other input? Oahe is actually pretty full of bait right now too, at least on the lower end, and fishing is tougher too. I suppose you can about walk on the smelt in Sak right now!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anywhere from Tobacco Gardens to Beulah. Really no preference. Have spent the most time in Van Hook and the Beulah areas. Open to wherever in between though.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think this fall should be pretty decent. I’ve done great for many years in fall trolling cranks down to 28-32’ feet or so. Also jigs on main lake points often produces. Casting and ripping back shiver minnows on same points also produces great at times. Don’t be afraid to try several methods a day in the fall if something isn’t working

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
the fall jig bite is coming soon to western sak (anywhere you want to fish till freeze up)...

find the bait balls no matter the depth (shallower normally more active, out to 30') - anchor - vertical jig with minnows, with different colors and motions till you figure it out - clean limit of fish 2 hours later...

there will most likely be feeding eyes in or around the bait ball or moving through no matter what your electronics show... the smelt seem to travel the natural underwater highways just like other fish so they will move in and out of you sonar signal - this is good...

my favorite time of year...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79