MWA Dispanding after 52 years

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d still enjoy duck hunting in eastern ND if we still had decent numbers in sept-oct, but the pattern/timing is awful within 70 miles of Fargo

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You mean like du private hunt clubs. Your dollars went to another heater in the blind. Do just enough to keep people convinced the money is being used for good and not being blown by admin on “business expenses “. The non profits need the swamp drained just as bad as dc. To many tax loop holes. This goes for all of them not just outdoors related.

side note we have potholes this year my father in law has never seen in his 61 years of living here. The amount of local ducks is astounding

All non profits are not perfect. All of them are required to have report that show where the money is spent. I don’t know of any org using their money for duck blind heaters. If we are going to demonize all of the non profits who will be left to lobby for hunters and conservation on the national level? If you don’t want to support DU we need to support the other groups like Delta or Pheasants Forever. Look at the fight out west with the public lands. We need the groups like RMEF and BCA to fight for our continued access to public lands and to fight those trying to sell them off.

- - - Updated - - -

I would argue waterfowl numbers have NOTHING to do with the decline in hunting. There are plenty of birds. However, a smaller migration window compared to years of old, along with significantly more difficult access, cause hunters to lose interest. In my area alone, you have to be very hardcore and proactive to have any reasonable access for field hunting. There is an outfitter and about 3 groups who have most good fields tied down well before the season. Makes putting together a hunt much more challenging. The hardcore guys are killing it for the 3x a year average Joe in a lot of cases.

Habitat is key I agree. That and land access. Add it in to what else has been said and the path sucks.

On the conservation org debate, I started a new thread. Curious to see who is supporting what and why....
I support all of them from DU to Delta, Pheasants Forever, bow hunter associations, Wild Turkey Federation, RMEF, Muley Fanatics, etc.

One big thing we all need to do and push these orgs to do is to encourage youth to get involved in the support. From teaching shooting BB guns to youth hunts we need to find ways to get kids involved in the sport. Without the next generations support we will lose this pastime and with that our gun rights will erode even more.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
I stopped giving money to “conservation groups” after seeing what DU did with my money. Now being burned by the NRA, I’m more than a little gun shy about non-profit orgs, and that’s sad because my dad ran one for decades.

I find this interesting, I went to a waterfowl conservation group banquet not to long ago and the common theme announced over the microphone was "do it for the ducks!" After thinking about it more what do conversation groups actually do to make hunting better or "improving" bird numbers? I mean simple science and experience tells us wet years = more ducks and dry years, less - taking credit for banner duck production on a wet year isnt exactly something to hang your hat on..

Perhaps it would be good for conservation groups to publish an annual document explaining its efforts and forecasting where our future dollars are being invested?

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Perhaps it would be good for conservation groups to publish an annual document explaining its efforts and forecasting where our future dollars are being invested?

I know Delta sends out an annual report with just that information, as well as plans for the following year. I have to assume the others do something similar? Transparency is key to stoke confidence among the members, I'd think.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Certain bloggers defend non-profits orgs as if their livelihoods depend on it. Who do you work for?

I am a farmer/rancher and we have the same problem as the shooting sports. An aging population with the average age over 55 years old and not enough recruitment of young guys.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d still enjoy duck hunting in eastern ND if we still had decent numbers in sept-oct, but the pattern/timing is awful within 70 miles of Fargo

Basically nonexistent here in the east. Nothing but pigeons and coots. Better off going out to Gackle. Or up by Devils Lake.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find this interesting, I went to a waterfowl conservation group banquet not to long ago and the common theme announced over the microphone was "do it for the ducks!" After thinking about it more what do conversation groups actually do to make hunting better or "improving" bird numbers? I mean simple science and experience tells us wet years = more ducks and dry years, less - taking credit for banner duck production on a wet year isnt exactly something to hang your hat on..

Well, I think they do fund research that can help make more effective use of the dollars they or other game managers have. Example: mapping areas to find where the most-used habitat is so you could perhaps vouch for programs that protect certain habitat types instead of having to conserve large tracts. Some of them fund biologists to help willing landowners conserve habitat. Working to vouch for conservation in ag policy.

I certainly don't think these organizations walk on water and I've let a couple of my memberships lapse over the years but feel there's worse ways to spend 30 bucks. And pretty sure most publish a yearly report on where their money goes.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

If you are curious what the money is spent on you should be able to request a report that details the spend. Most of those reports should be easily accessible online. Lots of water helps and grass habitat is not as necessary, but when the dry years come the grass will help nesting success. Fortunately we have not have had to endure dry cycles.

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a farmer/rancher and we have the same problem as the shooting sports. An aging population with the average age over 55 years old and not enough recruitment of young guys.

We have 175 kids signed up for fall high school trap shooting in Bismarck - that's nearly as big as spring, I expect 250+ next April (the "big" league) and having to open another day for shooting our rounds. We've also added 70 new trap shooters, and 55 of them are Freshmen or younger, and 40% of them are girls. If your group is looking for a market for mentor hunts, fishing days, shooting sports events, or other ways of getting kids involved in the outdoors, sponsor your local ND Clay Target high school team and get to work turning these shooters into hunters and conservationists! Just don't be too upset if they shoot better than you! :)

Some groups I've had to pull teeth and quit in frustration, others have dumped money on the program with a simple email request. Delta Waterfowl has the right idea - sponsor the program, set up a mentor hunt and recruit from all these new shooters popping up all over the state.

Don't be all doom and gloom just yet. Habitat. Access. Users. It's coming together! Find your group, get involved and fight the good fight focused on these three things. Whether it's a chapter of a national org or your local rod and gun club. Whether it's your money, or your time, give back to something that matters to you and makes an impact on the landscape or adds hunters and anglers to it.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was sad news the other day when the prez and founder John molkenberg sent me an email about disbanding his organization effective sept 30th,and yes JOHN is an old guy retired from being a local letter carrier and world class duck n goose caller,hunted with him a few times back in the 80's ole John would showup in our duck camp in western minnesota,always had great conversations with him,he introduced our group to the 1st "flute goose call (olts A50) hand tuned for lessor canada's (EPP poputaltion migragting thru from manitoba) our calls sounded like a sick cat scretch compared to his flute call.

fast forward when he started this minnesota chapter it just didn't click and hard to compete against D.U. banquets I attended were small not well funded even tho we donated,that and land access along with stupid selfish weekend warriors blanketing public hunting lands/sloughs....today most of minnesota land owners won'tlet ya in because they are afraid of libility issues,everyone is sue happy,one example for me was a private spot I hunted for years farmer said "no more" hunting seems year before he let a guy with his son hunt the land,kid stepped in a fox hole broke his leg,guy sued the farmer and won a asettlement so today lack of hunters mainly due to private land access,most of our farm land is being paved over houses popping up from the metro cities in minnesota all the way to duluth minnesota(urban sprawl)

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just heard the Ellingson (huge drain tile Corp) spokesman on kfyr and he was saying why he is disappointed we were not able to get rid of our drainage laws in the last session. He said outright he would like to see ND being able to drain everything like other states such as MN and IA. He said we need to decide whether we want to be an agricultural state or wildlife state. Companies like these are why we need to support conservation orgs that are fighting to protect critical habitat to wildlife. If they have their way everything will be tiled and no potholes will remain because they will all drain to rivers and streams. Downstream landowners will continue to be impacted and will face the brunt of the burden of everyone else’s water.

People have been blaming climate change for the historical flooding we saw this year but I think the big culprit that is making flooding worse is all of the drain tiled fields that channel water like an expressway to the rivers. This is why we need to vote out corrupt politicians like Senator Wanzek.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just heard the Ellingson (huge drain tile Corp) spokesman on kfyr and he was saying why he is disappointed we were not able to get rid of our drainage laws in the last session. He said outright he would like to see ND being able to drain everything like other states such as MN and IA. He said we need to decide whether we want to be an agricultural state or wildlife state. Companies like these are why we need to support conservation orgs that are fighting to protect critical habitat to wildlife. If they have their way everything will be tiled and no potholes will remain because they will all drain to rivers and streams. Downstream landowners will continue to be impacted and will face the brunt of the burden of everyone else’s water.

People have been blaming climate change for the historical flooding we saw this year but I think the big culprit that is making flooding worse is all of the drain tiled fields that channel water like an expressway to the rivers. This is why we need to vote out corrupt politicians like Senator Wanzek.
Nailed it!

Makes me sick hearing that, but at least they are honest.

Do whatever you would like to your land, just dont have your hand out when the house of cards comes crashing down. They can drain w/e they want, just get out of the farm bill but that wont happen. Gotta farm the govt. Conversation leads right back to ethanol. One big bubble ready to burst.

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member

The Des Moines Water Works actually attempted to sue three northern districts because of how bad the downstream water quality was. A judge threw it out and said it was up to the legislature to decide. In a grossly agricultural state like Iowa, who do you think lines their pockets?? Clearly drinking water isn't that important when it comes to the ag lobbyists.

The fact he actually compared "good" drainage laws with MN and Iowa is hilarious.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Draining wetlands is a big F.U. to the rest of society. Starting with your next door neighbor. "Its okay Jim Bob, just put it on the next guy! You can pull your pants up now, I'm done."

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad state of affairs,agreed.... our minnesota river is toxic with what farmland is left runoff from fertilizers and other toxizens,folks don't give a shit,now we're seeing urban sprawl taking our land hunting future is bleak for us blue collar boyz n girls....all but gave up fishing in minnesota,to many laws and regs these days,no more hooking the boat up and go,force fed saftey gear,steam clean/bleech out boats,can't transport fish in live well or bait well with lake water,and so on....Oh canada is worse, last I herd one empty beer can is $50 per,slots 2 fish take home under 17"s,f---k it ain't worth the brain damage,this is ontario my observation only but had enough of all the BS. HUNTING included..... even south dakota gettin tough,days of road hunters are gone,was big business years back,I remember old timers crusing dirt roads shotguns hanging out the vehicle window.... today law states to shoot a pheasant along side road(maybe big game too?) vehicle stopped,engine turned off,need to be at 15' from said vehicle...enough but I understand a few slob hunters ruined it for everyone.laws been passed,game over,further license fees for NR are way out of line.across our nation big game included.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad state of affairs,agreed.... our minnesota river is toxic with what farmland is left runoff from fertilizers and other toxizens,folks don't give a shit,now we're seeing urban sprawl taking our land hunting future is bleak for us blue collar boyz n girls....all but gave up fishing in minnesota,to many laws and regs these days,no more hooking the boat up and go,force fed saftey gear,steam clean/bleech out boats,can't transport fish in live well or bait well with lake water,and so on....Oh canada is worse, last I herd one empty beer can is $50 per,slots 2 fish take home under 17"s,f---k it ain't worth the brain damage,this is ontario my observation only but had enough of all the BS. HUNTING included..... even south dakota gettin tough,days of road hunters are gone,was big business years back,I remember old timers crusing dirt roads shotguns hanging out the vehicle window.... today law states to shoot a pheasant along side road(maybe big game too?) vehicle stopped,engine turned off,need to be at 15' from said vehicle...enough but I understand a few slob hunters ruined it for everyone.laws been passed,game over,further license fees for NR are way out of line.across our nation big game included.

those have always been the rules here for road hunting and if you aint seeing road hunters during pheasant season your not looking hard. Its a circus right around sun down every gravel road is getting drove up and down doors hanging open and motors running ground pounding the chinese chicken

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75