Best conservation organizations to be a part of?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
So instead of hijacking the MWA thread, I thought I 'd start a new one. Simply put, what conservation organizations out there do you feel are worth supporting and why? Or maybe what organizations do you not support and why? I feel there are so many out there it is hard to really figure out where to put our time, money, and effort.

I used to be involved with Ducks Unlimited. I quit being a part of it after dealing with regional and state guys who had nothing but $$$$ on their minds. I understand it is fundraising, but we were so far from the true reason of being at a banquet that I just couldn't take being involved anymore. I also got involved with Delta and had a much better experience but couldn't maintain the chapter in an area of low waterfowl interest. Pheasants Forever seems to work hard on the habitat front. I have little knowledge of how/where the money goes elsewhere, but they at least have folks out there who are willing to help landowners enhance habitat. BHA seems to be getting big. I know little about them though.

Maintaining public land access is huge, though in our areas private land and habitat is significantly more important IMO. I like organizations that are pushing for habitat improvements locally. And those that are fostering positive relationships with private landowners that MAY benefit the general hunting public. Easier said than done though.

Curious to hear your thoughts.....

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me, the best conservation organization is Parents who teach their children respect, honor, and ethics. Good people as well as good conservationists come from those 3 ingredients. When it comes to groups, any group that associates with a national organization is NOT something I'm interested in. Backcountry Hunters and Anglers fell into the same trap as DU, RMEF, Delta, and all the rest. When you are REQUIRED to send "a portion of your funds" to "National" for whatever reason, ethics seem to quickly go out the window, followed closely by honor, and then you lose respect. Consequently, I stop listening and start looking for the door/bar whenever I hear "National" mentioned alongside "Conservation".

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they all have their pros and cons. I think Ducks Unlimited is almost "too big to fail" if that makes sense. They have so many good ol' boys with deep pockets, combined with grants and funding from all corners of the country, they're basically self-sustaining. At least that's the feeling you get when waterfowl hunting participation continues to drop, and they appear for all intents and purposes to be just fine. But let's be clear: DU is not some grassroots organization. They're a monolith on the landscape with lobbyists and ample support. They do a LOT of habitat work, much of which may not be readily obvious. I think it's easy to paint them as the bad guy, but I also firmly believe they do good work and we'd be worse off without their substantial influence.

Delta Waterfowl is the redheaded stepchild -- and I say that in a good way. I think they are great at painting themselves as a strict conversation and HUNTING organization, whereas DU comes off as supporting hunting but very clearly aligns with conversation above all else. Delta, although smaller, does do a bit more grassroots stump thumping and will shout as a voice for hunters when local, national or even international situations arise that may harm our ability to hunt ducks and geese. I also think they're very good at rousing the troops, and a fact that a lot of their dollars go back to the local chapters that raise them is huge. I know the guys in Fargo put on a mega youth hunt every year, and still have money left over to sponsor youth trap shooting teams and offer scholarships. You can see the dollars at work, which for a guy giving his hard earned money over to maybe win a gun or decoys, at least dulls the pain when you wind up with a can koozie and camo hat.

But for my money, I think Pheasants Forever is the best bang for the buck. They're the best of DU and DW combined, and they seem a bit more middle-of-the-road when it comes to seeking input from others. They are great at communicating with the correct target market when discussing the same projects. For instance, cover that is great for pheasant hunters may also benefit pollinators, or help as wintering areas for certain nongame animals. They can get support of nonhunters for areas that will also benefit their dedicated hunting consortium. Plus, they too allow dollars raised locally to largely stay local, and I feel are the only group that TRULY advocates for hunting ACCESS along with habitat. My thoughts have always been that the smoking gun on our dropping bird hunting numbers ultimately boils down to opportunity -- not simply the numbers of pheasants or ducks, but how readily available they are to hunt. While upland game species seem to be much more hit or miss than ducks, the benefits of creating habitat and access for one ultimately may benefit the others.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Whatever you’re passionate about, from pheasants to mountain goats, there is likely a organization out there promoting its welfare and singing its virtues. Find one and get involved.

I wish you guys were as critical of your political parties and candidates as you are of the conservation groups.

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ditto for PF and also buy a duck stamp. That money goes to purchase Waterfowl Production Areas that are open to the public and increase most wildlife.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
not in our state it doesn't... with our silly no net gain in public land policy...

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gov. Burgum approved a new WPA purchase last month. Gotta admit though the record under Big D wasn't so good.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I work with alot of these groups and alot depends on your mindset on how money should be spent. That being said Delta and Pheasants ar on the top of my list. Turkey and mule deer would be up next, then ther rest as they all seem to be about the big money. The four groups I mentioned are very youth driven and if your involved with them you can see where the money or at least some of it is spent. They are all good for outdoorsman in some fashion.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Richland county had their own pheasant forever and all the money they raised stayed right in the county.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
id rather support a better or more plots type program. I just spent a week in montana sharptail huntingand there block mgt land was pretty impressive.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mule Deer Foundation. Look at what they do for the youth with Muley Days. Also check out what they’ve done to increase/improve PLOTS lands in ND

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75