Blackstone

Sotaman

Established Member
Who has one? What do you like to make on it? And how do you care for it after use to keep it seasoned?

I have done breakfast on mine a few times and cheesesteaks. I got the one from Walmart with the two burners lid and stand for 147

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
my lake neighbor just got one a few weeks ago and can't shut up about it...I think it's the same size as the one you have

they seems pretty good for the price

EN001

Beef and broccoli, shrimp stir fry, smash burgers. Only time I "clean" mine is if it gets really sticky, then I just get it good and hot then wipe it down with a soaked rag, apply another light coat of oil and that's it. Oh and chicken wings are really good off of it too.

Sotaman

Established Member
Beef and broccoli, shrimp stir fry, smash burgers. Only time I "clean" mine is if it gets really sticky, then I just get it good and hot then wipe it down with a soaked rag, apply another light coat of oil and that's it. Oh and chicken wings are really good off of it too.

Please share the beef and broccoli and Id like to give that a go.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id also like to hear from the peanut gallery regarding these blackstone units. Burners holding up or rusting out like other less expensive gas grills?

EN001

[h=3]INGREDIENTS[/h]
  • 1 1/4 lbs flank steak thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vegetable oil divided use
  • 2 cups broccoli florets
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup oyster sauce
  • 1/4 cup beef broth or water
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • salt and pepper to taste

[h=3]INSTRUCTIONS[/h]
  • Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the broccoli and cook for approximately 4 minutes or until tender.
  • Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds more.
  • Remove the broccoli from the pan; place on a plate and cover.
  • Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel and turn the heat to high. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil.
  • Season the steak pieces with salt and pepper and add them to the pan in a single layer - you may need to do this step in batches. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through.
  • Add the broccoli mixture back to the pan and cook for 2 more minutes or until warmed through.
  • In a bowl whisk together the oyster sauce, beef broth, sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce. In a small bowl mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water.
  • Pour the oyster sauce mixture over the beef and vegetables; cook for 30 seconds. Add the cornstarch and bring to a boil; cook for 1 more minute or until sauce has just started to thicken.
  • Serve immediately, with rice if desired.

This is the recipe I use, I usually double the amount of flank steak and broccoli, but also triple or quadruple the amount of sauce.
    Obviously you will be using the griddle not the frying pan so I usually cook meat and vegetables at the same time, meat on one side veggies on the other. Last time I made this I also put in a bag of fresh sugar snap peas, they added some great texture.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the portable 17" single burner and really like it for the camper and around home. Smash burgers are yummy and the breakfast vittles are always good. I was actually amazed how much I can fit on the smaller surface. Cleaning is pretty similar to my cast iron pans, small amounts of water with heat and a little wipe of oil.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 17”. Used it once this summer. Have it on my covered deck. Need to get a cover for it. It worked great the one time I cooked breakfast

Perch_herder

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who has one? What do you like to make on it? And how do you care for it after use to keep it seasoned?

I have done breakfast on mine a few times and cheesesteaks. I got the one from Walmart with the two burners lid and stand for 147

I bought a 22" for the lake. Fits nicely in my passthrough. Steaks are amazing on it. Sears the outside immediately. Throw down a little butter and garlic and drizzle on the top.

Stir Fry was a favorite at the lake to. Check out YouTube. Made Cubans one meal that the entire Fam Damily loved.

Breakfast ANYTHING is a win. In seconds you can have the ingredients for a breakfast burrito ready.

I have a Traeger and love that but i am finding myself cooking on the BlackStone more frequently.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The macho’est of men cook over an open fire;)

That, and this Blackstone thing seems like a big heavy giant griddle, that can be used on any cooking surface. Also, if we're going to fry stuff on a flat surface, what's wrong with the cast iron pan I already bring camping?

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use my Blackstone more than my Traeger now. The Traeger has been relegated to pretty much used for smoking. Smash burgers, breakfast, stir fry, chicken fried rice, steaks, and lo mein have all been hits at my house. My favorite so far has been street tacos. Those turned out amazing.

To clean, I just scrape it off while still hot and then wipe it down with water and rags while still warm. After it is clean i put a very thin layer of oil across the whole thing. No issues so far and it is nicely seasoned.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
That, and this Blackstone thing seems like a big heavy giant griddle, that can be used on any cooking surface. Also, if we're going to fry stuff on a flat surface, what's wrong with the cast iron pan I already bring camping?
This is my thoughts exactly. What big heavy, bulky, waste of space. I can do the same thing on my $40 electric Walmart griddle.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Virtually no difference except the flat surface with no sides like a pan has makes it easier to deal with delicate foods like flipping an egg. Other than that, Blackstone's work just like Cast Iron. They retain an even heat which makes it easier to get the results you're after.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75