Gun Safe

Fitz

Established Member
I am looking to purchase a gun safe and curious of opinions on brands and size. My budget is under $900. I would like something with shelves for ammo and hand guns. I only have a handful of rifles/shotguns.

What do you recommend? Any ones to stay away from? Locking styles?

Thanks

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a Stack-on from Menards a year ago. Suits me just fine, holds a lot. Adjustable shelves, etc. I believe it would fit your budget. Holds 5 handguns on the inside of the door, lots of pockets, etc.

Admittedly, I'm not a very avid shooter or collector, so there are those here with more specific information. The one I have though, is great so far.

I would recommend enlisting the help of a strong guy, like Dirtymike. Mine went down two flights of 6 or 7 stairs each, and I absolutely would not have managed by myself. It will stay, when the house sells.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are your goals for the safe?
Keep the kids out of the guns?
Fire protection?
Anti-theft?
Most "gun safes" are good for #1, so-so for #2, and fairly poor on #3.
-- Anyone with some prybars or a grinder can get into most of them in hour or less. The best safe is the one that cannot easily be found.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like a garage either get a big one the first time or plan on buying another one down the road. Two smaller ones are easier to move than one big one though!
Usually expensive ones have a better fire rating than the cheaper models.
Really plan on where you are going to put it before buying it and finding out you can't get it put where you wanted it to go.
Get a GOLDENROD HEATER/DEHUMIDFIER for it right away. Especially if putting it in the garage. They work very well. I have never had rust on guns from being in the gun safe and we have had our gun safe for 25 years and we moved it 4 times. It is well made and super heavy with a good fire rating. Can't remember the name right now but back then it was over $2,500.
Also plan ahead to get it delivered and placed where you want it. Well worth the money to hire someone that does this for a living rather than injuring yourself and your friends in trying to place it.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get the electronic lock for it as many of my friends have them and most have had trouble with the lock either battery going dead or lock screwing up.
We went with the number dial and never had any problems with it. Takes longer to get in it than the push button but no problems.
Just my two cents.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
X2 on the golden rod dehumidifier for all safes even if inside. I also recommend getting a VCI pad made by either bull frog or zerust. VCI will protect all the metal surfaces from corrosion no matter what the conditions. A few dollars a year can go a long ways.

I have a Cannon from tractor supply. It’s not the fanciest but does the job. Keeps the guns secure from the kids and from the honest criminals and fire rating is ok. It would be nice to have better fire ratings and better theft protection but that’s why they have home insurance.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Home insurance usually only covers a small amount if firearms are stolen. You have to put extra coverage on them to get their true value and will need proof that you had them.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am looking to purchase a gun safe and curious of opinions on brands and size. My budget is under $900. I would like something with shelves for ammo and hand guns. I only have a handful of rifles/shotguns. (now) ;:;rofl

What do you recommend? Any ones to stay away from? Locking styles?

Thanks

I have a few safes and my favorite is my Browning Medallion.

Home insurance usually only covers a small amount if firearms are stolen. You have to put extra coverage on them to get their true value and will need proof that you had them.

I have an insurance rider that covers my guns, crossbows, expensive fishing stuff and optics.

Fitz

Established Member
What are your goals for the safe?
Keep the kids out of the guns?
Fire protection?
Anti-theft?
Most "gun safes" are good for #1, so-so for #2, and fairly poor on #3.
-- Anyone with some prybars or a grinder can get into most of them in hour or less. The best safe is the one that cannot easily be found.

My goal is mostly kid protection with as much fire protection as possible. I understand if someone breaks in and I'm not home, most are going to be a lost cause.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you get, bolt it to the floor. They're usually door-heavy and can be tipsy when open. That will also help against pry attacks.
I've had a Liberty Fat Boy jr for about 8 years. I really like it, but I now wish it was bigger.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Whatever you get, bolt it to the floor. They're usually door-heavy and can be tipsy when open. That will also help against pry attacks.
I've had a Liberty Fat Boy jr for about 8 years. I really like it, but I now wish it was bigger.

I bolted mine to the floor and the wall.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So i buy my safe due to thief in the area i live a few years ago.
Rust so i buy a demhumifers along with the golden rod.
It was helping but i i guess i got careless as so far i have spent about five hours getting rust off the guns last night and today.
Now my guns are old and i am sure due to that they rust more likely. but even a new gun in there has rust on it.

Half of the guns are chain and cable to the wall in a open wall cabinet. they stay fine and i am considering putting all the weapons back up on the wall. As of now I would of been better off without the safe but no fire or buttheads taking at this point.
A friend some time ago had three large gun safe. when I went into his shop all the doors were open. Asked why and he said rust and he did say he had cameras watching for him. so the safe were a waste of funds, and for me that is not an option.

I will mention getting a dial to open with and not by pushing numbers on a pad. db

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So i buy my safe due to thief in the area i live a few years ago.
Rust so i buy a demhumifers along with the golden rod.
It was helping but i i guess i got careless as so far i have spent about five hours getting rust off the guns last night and today.
Now my guns are old and i am sure due to that they rust more likely. but even a new gun in there has rust on it.

Half of the guns are chain and cable to the wall in a open wall cabinet. they stay fine and i am considering putting all the weapons back up on the wall. As of now I would of been better off without the safe but no fire or buttheads taking at this point.
A friend some time ago had three large gun safe. when I went into his shop all the doors were open. Asked why and he said rust and he did say he had cameras watching for him. so the safe were a waste of funds, and for me that is not an option.

I will mention getting a dial to open with and not by pushing numbers on a pad. db
Dehumidifiers work in most cases. That’s why I use VCI just as an extra precaution.

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have a Canon safe that is very similar to the one in your link for close to 10 years. I haven't had a fire or been robbed yet, but I like the safe. The battery is accessed from the outside of the safe, so it should never lock you out because it died. I'm sure there are more secure safes out there on the market but I don't think your common thief is going to spend more than a few minutes trying to break in before they get jumpy and move on.

I use mine for storing guns, valuables, and documents. It doesn't take long to fill it up and to be honest I wish I had a bigger safe but I don't think I could physically fit anything much bigger through my house and doorways.

I saw a safe at Scheels last year where all the shelves were removable, adjustable, movable and you could configure it however you liked to fit your needs. I really liked the design and thought with that style of safe I could fit all my stuff and more in that safe (same size as my current one) with a more organized layout. I don't remember what brand it was or how much it cost, but I'd recommend you go take a look if you want to maximize the space and store more than guns.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Safes are like the guns inside, most will do the job it's intended for but if you want to be a snob and have bragging rights you spend some extra money

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On the cannon you can access the battery from the outside. I think if the key pad fails there is still a way a locksmith can get you in. The cannon is a cheaper interior finish but does the job.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Price out on getting it delivered and placed.
Was going to leave it in our house in Bismarck when we sold it but checked with the moving company that moved us and for $300 they would load it, haul it to AZ, place it where i wanted it. Heck it cost me more than that to move it from our farm in ND to Bismarck. Like i said ours is big and really heavy so 2 people aren't going to budge it.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
migrator:
I sometimes think my dehumidifer spends more time plug into the wall versus in the safe.
Help me what is VCI? DB

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
thanks, will try.
will be putting blue on one rifle today, I do not do the best with just rubbing in on but took all the bluing off so need to put some kind of protection on my 219 zipper. at least no pits on any, just surface rust that comes off. Was told to get the steel wool from scheels as it takes the rust off but no bluing with oil. normal light looks fine but with a high intensity light rust will show up. a number of old rifles have no or little bluing on them. have a solution of something that takes all the rust off (but will take bluing off also if I work with it) so will need to watch and keep oil. Still considering putting all rifles back up on the wall.
Seems like rust is like cancer and no matter how clean it looks it still comes back and in the same spots. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75