Help with these...

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have a small pond that is just loaded with these around it...I call the bastages stickers, but I’m sure there is a proper name for them. Looking for advice on how to get rid of them besides roundup? Thanks

Attachments

A36BA12F-62C2-4BD3-9989-1B4291486F5A.jpg

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks like good old fashioned cockle burrs - or that's what we used to call them... the ones i'm thinking of get dark brown and hard in the fall and were all over the devils area when i grew up...

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used to have a ton of them. The only way I was able to keep them under control was to round up and burning them. I have found if you round up only with the seeds like you have they will still germinate. Burning them till them damn things are ash stops them dead. The best I have found for keeping them under control is planting something. You can put pre emergent but this only prevents the ones from coming shortly after you put it down. And will need to reapply several times. They are a weak plant and dont well with competition. So plant some sort of grass and start to fertilize to make it lush and green.

Good luck. I call them the DEVIL PLANT.

- - - Updated - - -

I've also heard dicamba would kill them in right conditions

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sandbur (Cenchrus longispinus). Loves the disturbed sites in sandy soils. Best control is pre-emergent herbicides and a well established stand of grass and forbs to outcompete that absolute cocksucker of a plant

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those will go right through a sandal and drop a grown man like a sack of shit ..... so I’ve been told

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you use, make sure the product is for aquatic use. You can really F up a ponds algae populations as well as desirable plant species if you aren't careful. Those things SUCK so I hope you nuke'em to oblivion. Good Luck!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If they are real close to a pond I would burn. Turning those seeds to ash should stop them.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn, I thought those only grew in the sand dunes on the gulf coast. Yeah, many times I have fell to my knees or on my ass because of one of those little sunsa bitches. Roundup and a flame thrower is what I'd use.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup torch’em. Growing up we had a fury little dog that got into them. They were stuck all over that poor little bastard. We had to torch his ass too...

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can always just pull them out. There gone and no seed for next yr.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're around an aquifer you don't want to contaminate, try a spray bottle of vinegar, a dash of dawn dish soap, and dissolve in some salt. No idea if it works, but that's what the interweb suggests for non-toxic options.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice guys. Luckily, I have shorthairs, so other than in the paws every once in awhile they don't bother them much...the wife on the other hand has a mutt with long hair...dam thing runs around the pond like his fur is sandbur velcro, comes into the house and then proceeds to chew them out and drop them wherever he was laying...usually right where I walk first thing in the morning.

I have heard that you can choke them out by planting grass or other plants and fertilizing to get a good thick stand, but I don't have a way to keep it watered besides good ole mother nature and it is sandy soil so holding that moisture is difficult as well. Waaaayyyy to dam many to pull by hand, and I'm not comfortable burning them because I don't want to start the neighbors pasture on fire...I did try to have the local fire department come out and do a burn so they could use it as a prairie fire training for the department, but that never came to fruition...

I'm going to look into the chemical Dean linked.

And I'm for dam sure not going to become a goat owner...you guys would run me out of here if I had goats AND a sparkly boat...:D

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76