Two Brothers Killed on ATVs

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm extremely paranoid about driving an ATV because I'm always alone, usually in rough country when I'm doing my inspections. Seldom go over 5-10 miles an hour especially in the bad places but even then I had a close call last summer. Had to climb a steep slope to get to the other end of the section and had to take a run at it to get to the top. Would have been fine but I had to straddle a washed out pickup track and half way up I hit a bump that threw me into the washout which threw me sideways. I knew I was screwed immediately and dived off the side of the ATV. Problem was I dived off the downhill side and the ATV came rolling down the hill towards me. I didn't have time to get up and out of its way so I just started rolling sideways down the hill with the ATV half a roll behind me. Got stuck in the washout just as the ATV got jammed in the rut right beside me. Very close call in an area with no cell phone coverage. I think of that episode every time I have to climb a steep hill. One reason I carry a spare set of underwear in the cubby hole. Wish there was an affordable device to communicate with someone where there is no cell service. I only need it for 2-3 months and don't want to pay a years subscription for a Sat phone or something like that. I suppose it would be better to be safe than sorry because I cover a 3 or 4 county area and some of the places I go are so remote it could be days or even weeks before someone stumbled across my work truck. I keep thinking about that woman in Hawaii who got lost hiking and wasn't found for over 2 weeks until she flagged down a helicopter. Just a bad ATV wreck and I could be in the same boat.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm extremely paranoid about driving an ATV because I'm always alone, usually in rough country when I'm doing my inspections. Seldom go over 5-10 miles an hour especially in the bad places but even then I had a close call last summer. Had to climb a steep slope to get to the other end of the section and had to take a run at it to get to the top. Would have been fine but I had to straddle a washed out pickup track and half way up I hit a bump that threw me into the washout which threw me sideways. I knew I was screwed immediately and dived off the side of the ATV. Problem was I dived off the downhill side and the ATV came rolling down the hill towards me. I didn't have time to get up and out of its way so I just started rolling sideways down the hill with the ATV half a roll behind me. Got stuck in the washout just as the ATV got jammed in the rut right beside me. Very close call in an area with no cell phone coverage. I think of that episode every time I have to climb a steep hill. One reason I carry a spare set of underwear in the cubby hole. Wish there was an affordable device to communicate with someone where there is no cell service. I only need it for 2-3 months and don't want to pay a years subscription for a Sat phone or something like that. I suppose it would be better to be safe than sorry because I cover a 3 or 4 county area and some of the places I go are so remote it could be days or even weeks before someone stumbled across my work truck. I keep thinking about that woman in Hawaii who got lost hiking and wasn't found for over 2 weeks until she flagged down a helicopter. Just a bad ATV wreck and I could be in the same boat.

You need a garmin In Reach.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

you can get a garmin in reach done know if the gps would be use full for your job but they also make a mini one. Can get plans that are monthly usage

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just out of highschool I went scouting for beaver trapping one day. Driving along the river real slow looking for sign and hit a wash out that was covered in grass. Flipped off of about a 10 foot bank and the wheeler landed on top of me. I didn't have a helmet on because I knew I was going to be driving slow and wanted to see better. I got lucky and the rack hit me on my shoulder and not my head, pinned me down for a split second but I managed to keep it rolling and got it off of me in about 4 feet of water. That's the closest I have knowingly been to dieing and I think about ti every time I get on a ATV of any kind

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard about this the other day and it is such a travesty. Thoughts and prayers to their families.
Be safe people accidents can happen so fast.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My wife's uncle's brother was killed on his ATV. He was a rancher and two of his bulls were fighting and he tried breaking them up and one of them flipped him over while he was riding it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67