Plenty wet over here.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like more rain coming this week. Friday and Saturday. I hope not. But my country grass has never looked better.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why Fall is Best for Cool-Season Grasses

"Several distinct advantages make fall the best time to plant cool-season grass seed. In early autumn, the soil is still warm from months of summer sun. This combination of warm soil, moderate day temperatures and cool evenings encourages fast germination and establishment of newly sown cool-season grass seed.

Cool-season grass seed germinates best when soil temperatures are between 50 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit. This roughly corresponds to daytime air temperatures in the 60 F to 75 F range. An inexpensive soil thermometer, available at most garden stores, can help eliminate the guesswork.

The farther north you live, the earlier cool fall temperatures and ideal planting time come. For example, Minnesotans in the Upper Midwest seed cool-season lawns from mid-August to mid-September."

Looks like I planted at the ideal time according to most articles ive found online. I mixed my seed with oats at a 1:3 ratio and broadcast spread it. Mixed it in with a drag behind an ATV. Seems to be coming in fairly well, oats are about 3 inches tall now and grass is an inch or so. I read that rye is better to plant than oats for this purpose but I wasnt able to find small enough quantities for what I needed (feed grade) and didnt want to pay 3x as much for certified seed. Will be interesting to see how tall the oats get before frost gets them.

Last edited:

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious how much rain was recorded in the region in past 2 days. Received 2" south of Bis. Visited with someone from McVille / Binford area this AM and they received close to 6"

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1 mile west, 1 mile east, 2 miles north, the radar showed red to purple. It was as if we were in the donut hole. Not even enough to show in the rain guage. Lab did not like all the thunder and light show.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lived out here 10 miles NW of Mandan for 17 years and the most I've dumped out of the gauge from one rain was about 1.5". Had 3.5" in it this morning. Normally rain clouds split up and go north and south of us but not this time.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like a dummy I fertilized my front yard before the last 3 plus inches. Luckily its not a huge area. I will have to wait until the mini lakes dry up to mow. 5 plus inches in September.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talked with a buddy this morning that lives close to our farm by Skytown in Wells County. He said they got 6.5 inches last night. Roads and fields are under water.
Can only imagine how bad the roads will be tore up with hunting season starting too.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like a dummy I fertilized my front yard before the last 3 plus inches. Luckily its not a huge area. I will have to wait until the mini lakes dry up to mow. 5 plus inches in September.

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing 2 or 3 weeks ago before we stated getting all this water. I have to mow every 3 or 4 days. ;:;banghead

Just watched KMOT news, some places got up to 8 inches of rain the last 2 days. I've always said the world would die without water but a guy can also drown.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of flooded roads out there this morning. Highest total I've seen was Northwood with just a little less then 9.

Screenshot_20190921-165128.jpg

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
3.5" at Metigoshe on Friday and Saturday. Lake came up a good bit ... 5 or 6 ". Ground is saturated, so lots of runoff.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Now the desperate hunters will tear up the Prairie trails going after some shit ducks

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Won’t need to water is over the road set up right there. Deer hunters will rip way more shit up

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duck hunters will just scratch the surface. Overloaded grain trucks will finish the roads off, but who will get the blame?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mowed the yard and dropped the mower a notch to see if I can keep the mold from forming in the thick grass. On a side note, my daughters 4 year old lab is sick, started Saturday morning and in talking to the vet this afternoon, one of the things she asked is if he has ate any mushrooms out of the yard. Apparently she has had a couple dogs that have ate them. So anther good reason to cut it short.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
My parent's place up north of New Town is now over 11 inches of rain for Sept. sheesh.......

campchef

Honored Member
51/2 inches over lake Ontario. Came down for 13 hours. Roads were blocked off early. Sad to see so many round bales sitting in water.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79