ecobust question

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can buy a supercharged Shelby F-150 with 755hp at Bill Barth. Its only 106k....let us know how the gas mileage is ;)

I was wondering why not just put a conservative amount of boost to a tried and true V8 to give a guy about 500hp and a about 600ftb of torque? Seems too logical I guess. Let’s pour time and gobs of money into developing new hamster wheel 4’s and 6’s.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering why not just put a conservative amount of boost to a tried and true V8 to give a guy about 500hp and a about 600ftb of torque? Seems too logical I guess. Let’s pour time and gobs of money into developing new hamster wheel 4’s and 6’s.

physics starts to limit what is possible/practical

I took this course in grad school - my head still hurts - but the takeaway for me was that some things scale - some don't

enjoy!

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...ermodynamics/v/carnot-cycle-and-carnot-engine

- - - Updated - - -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_cycle

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can’t simply add turbos to engines not designed to run that much pressure In the combustion chamber expect any longevity. Especially long enough to get through warranty periods. You see this all the time with people and diesels. Adding aftermarket turbos and twin turbos and not being able to keep the rest of the motor together let alone the drive train. And additional boost means additional heat which is the loss of death for many an engine part.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member

The answer is $$$. As in the car companies make more money this way.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can’t simply add turbos to engines not designed to run that much pressure In the combustion chamber expect any longevity. Especially long enough to get through warranty periods. You see this all the time with people and diesels. Adding aftermarket turbos and twin turbos and not being able to keep the rest of the motor together let alone the drive train. And additional boost means additional heat which is the loss of death for many an engine part.

I'm not talking aftermarket. A factory V8 designed to spec is what I was referring to. Proper cooling, compression ratio, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a version of this hog will make it to the pickups?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blackwing+v8

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they built a V8 ecoboost they wouldn't sell many diesels.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do Ecoboost owners actually run premium? Would that higher fuel cost cancel out the better fuel economy?

I NEED ANSWERS!

Im actually in the process of determining whether it's worth it or not. My initial take away is that it's not cost effective to run 91. I'm going to run it for 1000 miles and figure it out for sure. I definitely get better mileage but it's seems like only 1.5 mpg better.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not talking aftermarket. A factory V8 designed to spec is what I was referring to. Proper cooling, compression ratio, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a version of this hog will make it to the pickups?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blackwing+v8
I thought you meant why aren’t they adding a turbo to their current 5.0 motor

- - - Updated - - -

Im actually in the process of determining whether it's worth it or not. My initial take away is that it's not cost effective to run 91. I'm going to run it for 1000 miles and figure it out for sure. I definitely get better mileage but it's seems like only 1.5 mpg better.
May be cheaper to just add an octane booster to 87

- - - Updated - - -

The reason they want 91 on the eco boost is because of the increased compression. Low octane fuel can cause detonation and that will result in a bad situation for the owner lol.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77