ecobust question

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anybody have any trouble with the Turbo's on the Ecoboost?

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a '16 Explorer Sport with the 3.5L ecobeast. What an engine ill tell you that! I have been in both 2.7L and 3.5L F-150, both have their place in the world. As stated above, 2.7 for mileage. 3.5 if you remotely pull anything at all. I would also see if you can get away from the 10spd transmission. It is a gear hunting, laggy, drive you crazy kind of transmision. My 6spd is not at all like that, nor are the F-150 with the 6spd.
I pulled my Lund 186GL from West Fargo to Garrison 80mph on interstate 23mpg there (empty) and 14mpg on the way home. Motor felt like it was made to do it, my only complaint was the turbo gasses melted 2 nice grapefruit sized holes in my towtector ;:;rofl

Unless you are buying a used 1st gen, I don't think there is much to worry about on failures. Typical run of the mill luck to see if you get a good one or not, nothing different than buying any other make or model. Either way, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Last edited:

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 3.5 and have had some trouble with mine. I think I got a lemon though, as it seems as though everyone else is having good luck. My turbo went out here a while back, but mine is a 2011, first year the ecoboost came out. Thinking that with that year it was a trial run, and I unfortunately just got the bad end of the deal. I've had other mechanical issues as well, but nothing that I haven't fixed. I have not fixed the turbo though. It gets me A to B, and it pulls fine, but i miss the whistle from the turbo kicking in. I have heard that if you go newer than a 12, most of the problems I have had aren't problems.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bauer, I'm curious as to your experience with the 10 speed. I have a 19' with the 10 and it has been awesome.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 2018 3.5 Ecoboost in my Crew Cab F-150. When I pull my Ranger 621 Fisherman I get about 12-13 mpg when not using the cruise control. When I use the cruise control it sucks a little more gas @ 11-12 mpg. The truck is a little light when pulling boat and does vibrate a little at times. Someone told me to add air bags to my rear suspension and this will help while pulling boat (end the vibration). It does not have much problem pulling the boat while using the cruise control but stays in 8th gear almost all the time if your in hilly terrain.

any truth on installing the air bags? Thanks

I don't have an F150 but I've put air bags on my last two trucks, both Tundra's. After the first set I'll never have a truck without them again. It'll help smooth your ride out once you figure out what PSI you want to run with the loads you're pulling AND in the event you need to pull that stupid heavy load, they're gonna make sure you can do it. Got my Firestone bags on sale over Xmas last year for nearly 1/2 off.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Feedback in my area is good on the 3.5 lit eco boost empty,pulling is another issue,owner manuel stats to run premium fuel....also twin turbo issues around 70k miles(out of powertrain warrenty,most said stick with 5lit engine if you trailer.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Feedback in my area is good on the 3.5 lit eco boost empty,pulling is another issue,owner manuel stats to run premium fuel....also twin turbo issues around 70k miles(out of powertrain warrenty,most said stick with 5lit engine if you trailer.

As a GM dealer, I'd expect you to get some of the most negative feedback from people who have had issues with non-GM products. This is the reason I would never buy a used Ford from a GM dealer, or a used GM from a Ford dealer (regardless of model/miles). The previous owners had a reason to trade it in on at another manufacturers dealership.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen,I'm retired these days but agreed few ford owners come thru GM's lot but for some reason they see a fare amount of dodge trucks come in on trade..after two winters in minnesota's road salt,the sheet metal gets chewed up on dodge right quick.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
So many used vehicles are purchased at auctions nowadays so you see every make and model at every dealership or so it seems.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
My shop replaces quite a few turbos on the 3.5. We have done up to the 2016 model year. I would buy a 5.0, but that is my opinion.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you aren't planning on keeping it past warrantee, I don't see a guy really caring about the drivetrain.

The 5.0 with a catback system and a higher flowing intake might not be a bad idea to get closer to the eco performance without sacrificing long term reliability.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think extended warranties aren’t a bad idea with the costs to repair these vehicles now.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old racer saying.

"No replacement for displacement"

These little motors can make power, but there is definitely a trade off in longevity/maintenance costs.

But, if you are buying new every couple years, who cares.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a 2015 5.0 with 70k on it, zero issues so far. Gets 20mpg on the hwy at 70-75, and 13-15 towing a 18' fiberglass boat.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think extended warranties aren’t a bad idea with the costs to repair these vehicles now.

Last year bought a 4 year 60K mile extended bumper to bumper on the F150...haven't had to use it yet...might not ever but to me the "peace of mind" was worth what I paid for the extended service coverage.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No offense, but worrying about a turbo in today’s world is a nonissue. You far more likely to have an electrical or other non mechanical nor non terminal issue than you are a turbo issue. The folks running diesels for the last 30 years have figured this out and the ecoboost is no different. Can you lose one, sure but it certainly isn’t common otherwise these engines wouldn’t be as popular as they are. I think ford has 5 or so different size EB and GM now has a few in there stable also. As far as durability, it’s as durable as any 1/2 ton motor pulling the same duty and done might argue that they are more durable as the EB were engineered and built with many of the same principals of the Diesel engines.

As as far as a 5.0 ever running along side a 3.5 ecoboost, it’ll take far more than exhaust and an air filter, lol. Anyone that has driven and owned both can attest there’s really no comparison especially in the low end and when towing, it’s night and day. We have about a dozen ecoboost’s and maybe seven 5.0s between our fleet and personal vehicles. They’ve both been reliable thus far however I don’t think any of the 5.0s have more then about 75k miles on them. We do have 3.5 EBs pushing 175k though and have yet to have a major mechanical issue. No turbos, no motor issues, no transmission issues. Had some various electrical gremlins, a few tune ups with plug changes, some wheel bearings, a pinion bearing and seal, and probably a few other misc things. Take it for what it’s worth but worrying about the turbo would be about the last thing on my mind.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old racer saying.

"No replacement for displacement"

These little motors can make power, but there is definitely a trade off in longevity/maintenance costs.

But, if you are buying new every couple years, who cares.

Back in 2001 when I bought my F250 7.3l power stroke guys I knew were chipping these motors, dueling the exhaust with 4" pipes to accommodate larger air intake filters to increase the hp and break the tires loose. Some broke the drive shaft, some blew the engine. Not me.

I believe that the automotive engineers that designed/built those engines knew what they were capable of and made them to do what they said the engine could do and last thru the warranty period.

You want the engines to out perform Detroit's engineers be prepared for premature engine failure.

Not a Mechanical Engineer, but still an Engineer. Just my $0.02!

Last edited by a moderator:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your gonna add hp to a stock motor in most cases you have to make improvements to the engine and drivetrain. Whether it’s head studs or improved head gaskets or built up trannies etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Last year bought a 4 year 60K mile extended bumper to bumper on the F150...haven't had to use it yet...might not ever but to me the "peace of mind" was worth what I paid for the extended service coverage.
Only extended warranty I’ve ever bought saved me $9000 in repair bills. I will trade my new diesel at end of warranty or buy an extended warranty when it’s up.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 64