Wife’s 2019 Bull Moose - Bow Kill

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome story, great bull. Congrats all around. Did you get the spots cleaned out of your briefs? haha good job!!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
That may be the best hunting story I've ever read, and I don't even hunt! What a time that must have been. Lucky for you, she dropped him, or we may have been reading your obituary.

Good job, to you both!!

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stupid question #1.
Are moose really hard of hearing?

They actually have phenomenal hearing and smell, but they do not have good vision. While we communicated with each other most of the stalk, we were whispering most of the time until he got out of his bed. I truly believe that he was angry enough that we could have made almost any type of noise, and it wouldn't have mattered. He was coming in for a fight and was in a blind rage.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If someone woke you up from a nice morning nap and was trying to take over your turf and maybe your girlfriend you be pissed too.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stupid question #1.
Are moose really hard of hearing?

Moose have plenty of human interaction in ND between Ag work and normal traffic vs. say a moose that lives almost anywhere else in "The Bush" in mostly roadless areas of relatively low human activity. Couple that with minuscule hunting pressure and not much at all for predatory pressure for most moose in most of the state and you get critters that just aren't scared of much. Moose in the Pembina Gorge and perhaps Turtle Mountains may have some wolf pressure, but it's minimal. Moose along the Missouri or it's tributaries may have to deal w/the odd Mt Lion but again it's minimal, there's easier lower threat foods/prey for those predators. Throw in a dash of pre-rut bull jock-itch and the impossible/improbable happens.

The next 2.5-3wks should be "Moose-Rut Gold" for the lucky tag holders.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Loved reading that!

I gotta think that bean-fed/corn-fed moose has to be up there with the best tasting wild four-legged critters in north America. In gradeschool I got to try moose meat from a bull shot in the BWCA of Minnesota. Thought it was darn good eating. I can't imagine what something that hasn't been dining on aquatic scum it's whole life would be. You gotta let us know!

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats!!! I’ll have to bug her at work for taste of this fine beast.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
one of the best write ups I have ever read, thanks for sharing such a great story I hope you take time to put this in the ND outdoor magazine because that was incredible experience just on how well it was written. Congratulations to your wife and for you who made the that bull do what exactly you wanted it to do. "center punch that fucker" I love it !!!:;:rockit

Last edited:

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also submit it to ndbowhunter magazine
its a good organization fighting for Nd bow hunters

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116