Too much stuff.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We as outdoors persons need all the stuff we have and need to look for more. I hate needing something and don't have it damn got to buy more just saying:} guywhousetohavestuff I seen somewhere you were sell some of your stuff to get more stuff?

wish I was better at selling my old stuff - I find posting things for sale and dealing with losers who don't come through with the purchase to be total drudgery

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
wish I was better at selling my old stuff - I find posting things for sale and dealing with losers who don't come through with the purchase to be total drudgery
I quit selling stuff because people piss me off and lowball the hell out me! Sure I’ll sell you my $400 underwater camera for$25, then when you come to pick it I’ll “accidentally” drop it on my driveway and say oops. I just give my stuff away now to someone starting out and needing gear. Screw the low ballers.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I quit selling stuff because people piss me off and lowball the hell out me! Sure I’ll sell you my $400 underwater camera for$25, then when you come to pick it I’ll “accidentally” drop it on my driveway and say oops. I just give my stuff away now to someone starting out and needing gear. Screw the low ballers.
A fun way to piss off low-ballers is raise the price just as much as they try to undercut what you want. Told one guy that I would plant my old truck in the yard and plant flowers in the box first before I would sell it at what he offered.

bonessk01

Founding Member
Founding Member
I glad you said this was only the stuff in your boat
I was thinking How less off you might be and feeling sorry for you(humour intended here)

Then I realised you have your ; Surf rods, offshore jigging rods, offshore casting rods, Saltwater fly Rods,Freshwater fly rods, mooching rods,longlining rods, Dipsy diver rods,wireline rods, down rigger rods,muskie rods, ice fishing rods and other less used spinning and casting rods
just out of site in the said photo

I don't know why I own half of the above being 900 , 1400, and 1600 mi from any of the oceans, a 5 hour drive to the closest fresh water salmon fishery, closest muskie fishery of any note is 6 hours away but i drove by it once and it might happen again!
Any way keep collecting its what make the economy work we all have to do our part!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
7444A3E4-7B1A-4A0A-9A9B-C6E636BE8074.jpg
I was just happy to get the majority of my trays organized.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where's all the plano boxes full of cranks?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My biggest problem with "STUFF", is that I'm a notorious clearance sale shopper. That being the case, you have to have a "buy 'em all" mentality because if you find something on clearance that really works well, you're maybe not going to be able to find it again, after all, it's on clearance because it didn't sell well enough the 1st time. It's a vicious, merciless, and space-intensive cycle.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife and I have had conversations regarding "stuff" . When it comes the time that we are no longer able to use and enjoy the accumulation of "stuff" and hopefully being of sound mind and reason, would rather give the stuff to son and family and the many nieces and nephews who perhaps have some history with said "stuff". Our life insurances wouldn't make it a NECESSITY to hold an auction of "stuff" for funds. I told the wife that would be more special than perhaps having to have rely on what an auction may or may not produce. Of course, things can and do change but it will be our wishes to donate the "stuff" that has and is accumulating. Then again, I have been selling some of my stuff along the way also so who knows? haha

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I put the stuff back in the boat there will be less of it

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago I learned that having two young boys then young men in the boat on our annual trip to Devils Lake eased my worries about too much stuff. Lots of cranks and slip bombers went bubby up there

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another "STUFF" related problem, I wish my hunting clothes would quit shrinking while on the hangers during the off-season..........

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing about "stuff" is too often we think that we're keeping it because someone else may want it. In reality, we're transferring the responsibility/burden of decision making to someone else. So, grandma and grandpa can't part with 70 years worth of collected "stuff" because, well, the kids or grand kids might use it! What they don't realize is that the people around them aren't just sitting there waiting for them to die so they can finally have a set of dishes or a full collection of pewter figurines. We're all collectively living our lives, purchasing and procuring items we need to get from day to day. When family passes on and leaves behind a houseful of things, very rarely does it turn into a shining beacon of hope for their immediate family. Most often its, "Ugh, when are we going to have time to go through all this stuff?" Which quickly devolves into trashing things and moving on.

Here's a thought: Be conscious of your things. Know what you have and what you need. And what do you actually "need" and what do you just want because it grabs your eye, or it's on sale, or it allows you to complete a task 30 seconds faster than how you do it now?

I struggle with this a lot, as does a majority of red blooded Americans. We're living in an age where anything we could possibly want is available with a few key strokes and credit card number, delivered right to our doorstep. But I can see my actions reflect on my young kids, and I know I have to set a better example. Already they want and need so much, and use so, so little. It's amazing what they can do to entertain themselves when we're at a park. A feather, a few leaves and rocks suddenly turn into a battle with dinosaurs or a village for elves. But back home, with their mountain of toys sitting unused, they'd rather complain about what they don't have than to use what they already own.

As parents, we take the responsibly for this, and I'm doing my darnedest to change that. I'm trying to show that it's the time spent with them I cherish most. That it's the experiences and memories that truly last a lifetime, not the latest and greatest gadget or gizmo.

Maybe, just maybe, when I finally kick the bucket and my kids have to go through my stuff, they'll find what's left truly had meaning: A well-worn game vest, or a dinged-up shotgun -- the collars of their childhood dogs and photos of those first early hunts. I'd rather they came home with a back set with a few items, then being forced to rent a garbage bin so they can unload the mountain of crap I collected, before getting back to living their own lives.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If it would bring a tear to my kids eyes when they find that one thing in my stuff, then it was worth keeping.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75