Cow in E3/E4

Caboyd

I have a cow tag for E3/E4. I have been putting miles on my boots and glassing the past few days, but not one elk so far. Anyone seen any elk in this area lately or know some good general areas to scout? I am sticking to public lands. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got ours Saturday evening on Magpie rd about a mile or so west of that black top point or lookout point it might be called it is the highest point along the south side of the road. they were on a flat area 500 yards out to the north A 5x5 bull and two cows, After we shot one cow about 5 minutes later a larger bull came out of the trees between the road and that point, he walked around the trees where our cow laid he flinched and jumped back and slowly went around the trees to investigate the cow some more, and then he left to the west where the other bull and cow went.they were in no hurry to leave it seemed.

emerald

Established Member
too hot yet, camp and listen, smell, from 3-5 in the morn, bulls,cows move then, until ruts end

Caboyd

We got ours Saturday evening on Magpie rd about a mile or so west of that black top point or lookout point it might be called it is the highest point along the south side of the road. they were on a flat area 500 yards out to the north A 5x5 bull and two cows, After we shot one cow about 5 minutes later a larger bull came out of the trees between the road and that point, he walked around the trees where our cow laid he flinched and jumped back and slowly went around the trees to investigate the cow some more, and then he left to the west where the other bull and cow went.they were in no hurry to leave it seemed.

Are you talking about Big Top Mesa, near the Magpie campground? Thanks for the tip!

Caboyd

I have been searching around all week. Lots of glassing and hiking. I have not seen any elk. Really confused about where to even look at this point. Anybody have more suggestions? Thanks in advance!

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seen Elk East of the park and north of I-94 5 or 6 miles. Im not saying there still there as that was a month ago. I have been out there many times on Ek hunts and this is what I do. Everyone says put miles on your boots. I will put 100 to 200 miles on my bino's the first hr of the day. Just before legal shooting hrs I will be on a hill standing on the running boards of my pickup and glass 10 or 15 mins. Drive to the next hill and glass again and keep doing that for the first 2 hrs of the day. After that You can go out walking and trying to kick one out of its bed. To me glassing is the only way to do it if you want to cover some ground and see lots of country. I have always said find the agriculture and the Elk will not be very far.

Hope this help and you shoot one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79