anybody bird hunting

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be heading out I drove around today a little saw 4 flocks of huns in about a 10 Mile drive so that seamed promising

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep, packed up and ready to go. Sounds like showers this morning, then better weather. My hunting buddy and I have have done grouse opener for 30 years and wouldn't miss it. Half the fun is getting pics of the dogs on point. My older dog laid on the hunting vest all night. Traditions. Reports later.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll be heading out I drove around today a little saw 4 flocks of huns in about a 10 Mile drive so that seamed promising
I have not seen a flock of huns in 10 years in my corner of the state. Wish the Game and Fish would plant some here, they are fun to hunt.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I limited on both grouse and partridge by 10 the dogs worked fantastic the birds cooperated nicely and there were plenty of bbs in my shells lol cause I only missed once on the first flock of huns the dogs were ready but I wasn't lol great day fresh meat for dinner.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went sharptail hunting yesterday. Saw 7 birds and never got a shot off. They were getting up so early for the first weekend it was unbelievable!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually wait for the first snow and go for a hun drive. I typically shoot 3 a year and let the rest try to survive. It's crazy that the wet spring of 1993 clobbered them and they haven't rebounded to even close to what they were prior.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Saw 3 flocks & 2 singles in 2 days but only walked a couple miles each day. The flocks were 16, 13, & 12 which I thought was a great hatch. Legs won't be in shape until the end of season at this rate. The weather wasn't the best for grouse hunting, rain on Sat., and windy today. I wonder if beans and corn have given the birds a safe refuge. A couple points:

P1120308-001-L.jpg

P1120309-L.jpg

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually wait for the first snow and go for a hun drive. I typically shoot 3 a year and let the rest try to survive. It's crazy that the wet spring of 1993 clobbered them and they haven't rebounded to even close to what they were prior.

where are there enough huns to drive them?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the coyotes and skunks get the eggs up here, We used to have fair amount of ruffed and sharps on the farm but the last sharps I saw were 3 winters ago. Been about than long since I've heard a ruffed beat off too. We hear coyotes almost every night from all directions, Pups just barking during the day just south of the house someplace . There are so many coyotes that they must be about due for a cruel act of nature.

- - - Updated - - -

Pine martins up here too , They scavenge for eggs in the spring both in trees and on the ground. Curious little buggers.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member

Never have read much for speculation on why they haven't come back much but I imagine the soybean/corn explosion has played a large role as well. My grandfather had a group that would spend a week hunting in the NC part of the state and they kept a journal that I came across a couple of years ago. They had some years in the 80s they shot close to 100 huns in the week - 10 days. I think even a couple years over 100.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a few in flight on my last hills/prairie cruise when the combines were taking off wheat . I was happy just to catch a glimpse of them as they were heading for cover.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't seen as many sharpies the past 2 years but the size of the hun broods this year is incredible. Must have seen 12-15 in every covey so far.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw one flock of huns on Friday eve, about 10, some of them were barely bigger than a dove. A friend and I got 3 sharps each on Sat, 2 each on Sunday (should have each had 3). The only huns I saw once season had actually opened were out on the road about 6:30 last night between a posted corn field and a posted bean field so we drove on by.

I did manage 1 coyote as well.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Didn't see a single hun. Tons of sharpies everywhere, even in the rain.

shadow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey, so sad to hear of your injury. My girl has had both redone, she has missed 2 of the last 3 years. She has had TPLO done, which is faster recovery, but they not done much here in the US. Dr. Thrush who was in Brandon is the best, period! Good luck with the rehab, shoot me a message if I can be of any help, I have the whole rehab down pat. Hug the Hound for Magoo and I!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
impressed with the amount of birds i saw on opening morning, had to head home early sunday morning so only hunted one day

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hit "Old Faithful" and didn't disappoint for numbers -- but the birds sure didn't hold tight for opener birds. Wound up walking a new spot that looked miiiiighty sharpie, and got a single to do things right that held tight in some little gray bush with red berries. One was better than none, and my hound was happy to have a bird in his mouth again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75