anybody bird hunting

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
cant believe sharptail and waterfowl have opened and nobody has posted anything.
I hunted sharps ne of Bismarck and was surprised by the amount of young of the year coveys I flushed everyday. hopefully pheasants had a good hatch this year.
I got nothing on waterfowl besides I think they open the season 2 weeks early.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been out for sharp-tails 5 times so far. Opener was good, bird numbers have been good, weather is crap. Wind, rain, heat, repeat. Very few hunters that I have seen. I'm hoping to get to the badlands for grouse before pheasant season opens.

i-XVZz8hr-L.jpg

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
My lab tore her ACL saturday, surgery is next wed. I may need to get counseling.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
awwwww!!!!! s--t!!!!!!!! Sorry to hear that. Hope all turns out for the best.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lab tore her ACL saturday, surgery is next wed. I may need to get counseling.

ugh... one of the shittiest deals ever other than dog getting killed or some such

it's a long sad trip - especially when they blow the other one after surgery :(

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Unfortunately, this is pretty common with labs that hunt upland birds. Happened to my last lab and I just got a
new lab puppy so I will probably end up going through it again. Almost without fail when you hear about this it is a lab.
They are just such damn good dogs though.once you’ve had one it’s hard not to always have one.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately, this is pretty common with labs that hunt upland birds. Happened to my last lab and I just got a
new lab puppy so I will probably end up going through it again. Almost without fail when you hear about this it is a lab.
They are just such damn good dogs though.once you’ve had one it’s hard not to always have one.
Can the ACL issue be diminished by going to good breeders? Im a springer guy and they have their hip and eye problems which can be mostly avoided by going to good breeders with hip and eye guarantees.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The way I understand it, while they excel and hunting in water and on land, they are just not structurally as sound for the twists and turns of upland hunting. I don't think its a genetic thing. Some breeds are just set up better physically for that type of activity than others.

My lab tore one at 2 1/2 and one at 7 1/2 years of age. Both times happened right at the beginning of hunting season so that sucked pretty bad. Expensive surgery but quick recovery and she bounced back to 100% each time.

http://www.ivghospitals.com/uncateg...ture-or-acl-injuries-and-labrador-retrievers/

Here's a link with some info.

rapala_09

Honored Member
I have a 3 1/2 year old springer, he tore his ACL this spring and it was a long difficult road to recovery. Trying to keep a springer "inactive" is damn near impossible. I believe it healed up OK, not great.... after a long day he starts limping pretty good. I fear he may never be back to 100%, but it doesn't seem to have slowed him down TOO much. Bad deal.

On another note, I have not been out for birds yet.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
Shot our 9 grouse opening day, went out early goose hunting one time. The weather patterns and amount of crop that was and is still standing i think has been my biggest deterrent. I also was kind of storing all my hunting up for the trip i just got back from in Saskatchewan, which was really good by the way. Four shoots and 190 birds with 5 guys, best we have done in the three years going up.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The hatch seems good this year, seeing usually 6 to 12 per. It's been poor weather for grouse hunting but still fun.

i-dB2ff7d-L.jpg

Aquaholic

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hope the injury goes well.
I have a lab thats about year 1/2. I shoot decoys in the yard to chase down. And their is no stopping him going ballz out every time, skidding, rolling, end over end. I cringe every time thinking of what I did to my knees growing up. But its fun to see the him so excited.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member

that sucks nothing worse than a hurt dog at the beginning of bird season. This is my fourth lab and no acl injury's yet. a couple of front shoulder injury's in there later years.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
opens on saturday, numbers are supposed to be up should be fun

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
youth waterfowl down here this weekend. Getting the puppy out and the kid

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159