Coyotes in town

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m curious what thoughts others have about what seems like a drastic increase in the coyote population in Bismarck. While I know they have probably always been around, it is crazy how many are now being seen. I’ve lived in my house in an established neighborhood for 15 years and never seen one until yesterday at about 4pm one walked right down the middle of the street, stopped to take a dump and then trot into a backyard across the street.

what do you think is the cause, flooded river area pushing them up, too much construction on the outskirts of town pushing them in, something else completely?

Im not in a huge uproar over this, more just curious about it.

Last edited:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are down along Bay Creek, pretty regular sight around here too. Walking paths are cover with coyote crap. They haven't caused any problems with the dogs and such but they'll be in the yards at night.

- - - Updated - - -

There was a professor at UTTC doing a study on urban coyotes in Bismarck that I talked to. He confirmed what we already knew...They are smart and adapt very well.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
They’re all over in Walmart. I think they’re coming from Mexico

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Easy food. You can't shoot them in town. Get to screw a poodle once in awhile. Lots of reasons to live in town.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tracking studies have shown that coyotes have made urban centers prime hunting grounds. Unfortunately, this issue will make center stage when a small child is attacked by one of these urban predators. One only has to look at other cities in western states to get a look at the realities to come with urban coyotes. I don't tolerate them around my house, so if I lived in Bismarck, I guess I would be asking questions now instead of waiting until a youngster pays a price.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a fox in the ditch of I-94 going through Fargo yesterday. It was right were the I-29 traffic would merge onto eastbound I-94. Looked like a pup as it was really small and not very stealthy. Hard to say which is more likely: 1. He gets run over. 2. Some do-gooder dynamites the brakes trying to "save" the fox and causes a 27 car fender-bender.

I once came very close to being collected in a large multi-car fender-bender incident @ the end of the bridge that allows I-29 southbound traffic to merge onto I-94 eastbound. Some tender-heart came to an abrupt stop during the evening rush to let momma duck and her babies cross. Noble, but not worth the $$ cost IMO.

I was once lead vehicle going through a, Intetstate construction zone where they'd moved all traffic to one side, had quite a few vehicles behind me and momma goose leads her "not quite big enough to fly" goslings out onto the interstate. The gosling heads were just about "bumper height", I got at least 3, figured that was better than causing a big fender-bender chain reaction. I felt bad, but less bad than I would have had I caused a big accident.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea only one way to control that one shot cant have them around town new pellet guns work good for this.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id say better than a pellet gun might be a 22 shooting subsonics, Something like the CCI Quiet .22 Segmented HP would likely make a yote think twice about running down your street again...

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would anybody really be sad if a few yippee ankle biters went missing?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best thing is to know your neighbors. Most on our street hunt/shoot, all have dogs and kids, grew up in ND.

We had one yipping behind the houses last night at about 9pm, a few of us heard it, text messaging each other, it but no one could spot it.

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member

X2. I can hear them from my house in S Bismarck. I have little kids. If push came to shove, I'd shoot/shovel/shut up in a heartbeat.

In the meantime, maybe they'll clean up some of the loose cats in my neighborhood. Few things piss me off like finding cat tracks on my hood or roof, in my garage. I left the overhead door open for about 15 minutes the other morning, and when I went out, there was a cat with his nose to my door. Darn near came right in the house. I only launched him halfway across the garage. If I'd have been wearing shoes...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 73