Fishing rod building and repair class?

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
CRB blanks aren’t comparable to St Croix. MHX on the other hand make some dang nice blanks. I think the price stated above is flipped around.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
CRB blanks aren’t comparable to St Croix. MHX on the other hand make some dang nice blanks. I think the price stated above is flipped around.

Completely agree. I had used St. Croix Series III and Series IV for several years. I have recently changed to MHX Standard and MHX Elite Pro. Mudhole offers 15% to 20% off orders every few months and I have been able to purchase the MHX Elite Pro for around $85. I feel that the MHX Elite Pro is every bit as sensitive as the St. Croix Series III and possibly their Series IV. May sound like I am promoting Mudhole. I do use them for the majority of my component purchases, but I also use Utmost Enterprises in Washington State for the some of my guides as they carry a large selection of PacBay and Forecast guides. Both offer fair prices and great service (IMO).
Count me in for a 2-day rod building class in ND!!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who are you calling hillbilly?? ::boxing::You flat land window licker!! :;:stirthepot ;:;rofl

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also took a class from chuck as well, I was very pleased with the class I believe there was a dozen of us so chuck was able to help each other one on one if needed. Worth every penny if a person likes to try new things also long rods are way easier to make then ice rods. Imo

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also took a class from chuck as well, I was very pleased with the class I believe there was a dozen of us so chuck was able to help each other one on one if needed. Worth every penny if a person likes to try new things also long rods are way easier to make then ice rods. Imo

Agreed. The smaller the diameter the trickier the wraps are. One of the most useful tricks I’ve learned is using a piece of braid fishing line for pulling your thread under the wraps. It’s slick and won’t break.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed. The smaller the diameter the trickier the wraps are. One of the most useful tricks I’ve learned is using a piece of braid fishing line for pulling your thread under the wraps. It’s slick and won’t break.

That is correct with the tag line also when you wrap the guides closer to the tip use a bobbin ceramic fly tyer works the best. I can even use a small fly fishing guide for my tips now looks better then using a regular tip for ice rods. Anyways well worth taking the class if you have lots of spare time during the long winter months

Buzz Butters

I almost went to one in Minneapolis. I think it might have been February? But getting hotel rooms and such put it out of my price range. I'd definitely try to make a North Dakota class work though.
Im interested.

Ok thank you

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82