Alaska Trip

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dad is retiring at the end of the school year, after 34 years in an 8th grade classroom.
We are thinking of taking him up to Alaska, sightseeing and fishing. Time would be early to mid June. Couple of us might make the drive up and couple of us with less time would fly in and out.

I know less than 0 about Alaska, does anybody have some insight on some good fishing charters?
Looking at doing 2 days fishing, Halibut and Salmon.

I’ve heard Homer is a good area. What else is fun to see around there besides fishing?

Any cool places to check out on the drive up and back? If I drive, my wife wants to try to see the whales around Vancouver.

Thanks

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've never been anywhere but Anchorage and just outside it's city limits on a 4 day work-cation.... but it was in June and it was amazing everywhere I went. 20 hours of daylight and temps were 55-71, I dream of going back weekly and actually seeing the wilder parts of Alaska.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
My experience has been through two trips and both were great. Each time flying into Anchorage and spending the majority of the time within the Kenai Peninsula and Mat-Su Valley. Both times were to visit [MENTION=6150]wjschmaltz[/MENTION] and we had a great time doing about everything "Alaska" that you can accomplish in a shorter trip. Fishing- both fly-fishing and deep sea for Halibut, and tons of sight-seeing/hiking/etc.

Others who could probably weigh in quite a bit into your inquiry who would know more than I do probably: [MENTION=338]Frosty....[/MENTION] [MENTION=229]DirtyMike[/MENTION] [MENTION=305]huffranger[/MENTION]

Probably others who have taken trips up there too.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
First trip probably use Anchorage as the place of arrival and departure. From there definitely drive up to Denali for day trip, then head down Kenai peninsula for sight seeing and fishing….Homer and Seward are both great. Check out places to stay in ski resort towns Aleyska being one of them if you are going in summer, off prices on lodging are pretty good, also look into Airbnb or some type of vacation rental, we got a nice stand alone house in Aleyska for extremely less then any hotels…Seward lodging is fairly pricey since it’s a cruise ship destination.

The sheer beauty of Alaska will blow you away from the second you get out side of Anchorage city limits…pictures do not do this place justice…it is amazing and a must see vacation for anyone…the below pic was 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] week in June 2015

FB_IMG_1569937430627.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huffranger and DirtyMike are your references here.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huffranger and DirtyMike are your references here.

I've only been once and [MENTION=305]huffranger[/MENTION] was my tour guide. We didn't stick around Anchorage for long before heading towards Seward. I was lucky enough to be able to sleep right on the 32' kingfisher owned by huff's friend. Seward is absolutely beautiful and I would do the trip again in a heartbeat.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I and Mrs. Sluggo went a year ago for the first time. The 2 best decisions we made were hiring a charter out of J-Dock based on a recommendation from @huffranger and renting an RV to travel and stay in. We only went fishing 1 day. We flew into Anchorage, hopped in our RV and went north to Talkeetna and then came back south to Seward. One of the highlights for my wife was our Flight tour of Denali thru Talkeetna Air Taxi. You can find Jdock and Talkeetna air on the web. We went in mid July. I would also go back in a heart beat. Be happy to answer any specific questions.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
We flew up to Anchorage June/July about 7 yrs ago. Wife's relatives live in Seward. They picked us up and gave us a good tour of Alaska(for as much as you can see in a week anyway!). We did a charter out of Seward. I don't think it was ideal Salmon time as we didn't catch many of them but did well on the Halibut. We drove over to Homer for a day. Make sure you put that on your list of "to do". The Homer Spit area is neat. And of course make sure to stop in the world famous Salty Dawg Saloon. Alaskan scenery is amazing! Have Fun!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
3 words: Float the Kenai

I would have loved to spend 2 days on the Kenai instead of 1. We floated and stopped on sand bars to fish. That place is amazing.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can steer you in the right direction for SE Alaska. Was a Charter guide in 2007 and 2008. Not much info for anything north of Juneau though.....

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I and Mrs. Sluggo went a year ago for the first time. The 2 best decisions we made were hiring a charter out of J-Dock based on a recommendation from @huffranger and renting an RV to travel and stay in. We only went fishing 1 day. We flew into Anchorage, hopped in our RV and went north to Talkeetna and then came back south to Seward. One of the highlights for my wife was our Flight tour of Denali thru Talkeetna Air Taxi. You can find Jdock and Talkeetna air on the web. We went in mid July. I would also go back in a heart beat. Be happy to answer any specific questions.

I second the rental rv/pickup camper/ Jeep with pop up camper. My dad and I rented the Jeep with pop-up camper. The beauty about it was we never needed to be anywhere in particular. We drove until we found something interesting (fishing, sight seeing, etc) and stopped and camped whenever we wanted to. We never paid a dime to camp. We found nice places that sold hot showers for a couple bucks throughout our trip. We balled on a budget homey.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spent 5 days in Sitka this summer, was absolutely stunning, fishing was terrific too.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
3 words: Float the Kenai

I would have loved to spend 2 days on the Kenai instead of 1. We floated and stopped on sand bars to fish. That place is amazing.

I agree with Ahab! We floated the Canyon Section of the Kenai with a guide out of Cooper Landing (Kenai River Fly Fishing- Mike Pence). Was very reasonable and we had 5 people (4 of us plus our guide) in the float boat. The float/scenery/rapids and subsequent boat ride through Skilak Lake was amazing.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Summer 2021 or bust for my brothers, dad and I. Appreciating all the info, will for sure be referencing this thread in the future.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First of all, Anchorage is Alaska’s nearest city. From there you are only a 15 minute drive from Alaska.

The biggest thing to consider when planning your fishing is timing. All the fishing places mentioned have their time of year to go. So be very careful every time someone suggests a place to you. They may have had a great trip, but at a different time of year – and a couple weeks can make a huge difference! You mentioned coming in early to mid June. The upper Kenai River doesn’t open to salmon fishing until June 11[SUP]th[/SUP]. The lower river is open to fishing, however the vast majority of the early run (June) fish are heading for the Russian (upper river). If coming after July 10[SUP]th[/SUP], then I would fish the lower river for Kenai River pigs. The upper river is a zoo the first and usually the second week(end) it is open so prepare yourself. It won’t be your quiet Alaska experience – it will make 4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July at government bay seem like a ghost town. But the fishing can be unreal and fighting sockeye in the fast Kenai River on an 8wt is one of my favorite things in the world. Here is a link to the historic timing: https://adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCounts/index.cfm?ADFG=main.displayResults pray for another year like 2019! It was UNREAL! Keep in mind while looking at that chart that the weir is up the Russian River. Those fish would be fishable in the upper Kenai River 2-4 days before they are actually counted.

Saltwater salmon fishing is going to be tough in June. Seward is great for salmon fishing once the coho move in about the second week of July. In June you may pick up a king or something moving into a bay but it will be pretty spotty anywhere near port in June.

I am unimpressed with Homer. The only conclusion I can come up with is that they must have the absolute best tourism and marketing people in probably the world. It’s out of the way and for the “Halibut capital of the world,” I wouldn’t even put it in my top ten places to fish for halibut in Alaska. I’m still sold on Ninilchik for halibut. The boat ride is short and there are plenty of fish. The only thing that it lacks is scenery – as mentioned, Seward is pretty unreal. I would say that if you really wanted to fish for salmon in the saltwater, Ninilchik is also your best bet. They troll along the bluffs and pick off chinook that are moving up the inlet into the Kenai and Kasilof. If you really want to go to Homer, it’s only an hour or so from Ninilchik. Also, the Kasilof is probably your best bet if you want to catch a freshwater chinook. Be very weary and do your homework – the Chinook regulations change by the day and it is a feast or famine type of fish right now.

I would go to Seward, but I don’t think I would fish there in June. As mentioned, Coho move in mid july and Ling Cod doesn’t open until July 1[SUP]st[/SUP]. Those are the two big things Seward has going for it (besides the scenery). To reach fish in June you will be traveling by boat 2-3 hours total and the cost is probably double that of Ninilchik.

I would fish the upper Kenai mid week for sockeye, fish halibut out of Ninilchik (and ask about trolling for kings), and then maybe do one of the tourist boats for whales and glaciers out of Seward.

Be aware of the scale of the map when planning your trip. Denali is a 5 hour drive north of Anchorage. Homer is a 5 hour drive south. That is with no traffic and no stops. So going to Denali will cost you two days of just driving. Keep in mind that Denali is only in view about 10% of the time during the summer. I haven’t seen it for two months. It’s a pretty uneventful place if you can’t see the mountain.
The drive north of Palmer to the Matanuska glacier is worth it. It takes about 1.5 hours and then you can access the glacier by foot. It’s pretty unreal. And at this rate, the opportunity probably won’t be there to walk on that glacier in 10 years.

Good luck with your trip planning

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
well for starters driving some folks opt to ferry out of washington port(60hr cruise sleeping on deck or in your vehicle),I chose to drive once,long ass haul,headed north out of Shelby montana to carlgery then headed to Baniff and the cassier hwy,to avoid all the semi truck traffic on the Al-can hiway plus fishing all through BC is fantastic any clear stream/river holds plenty of wild trout n grayling,clouded rivers or milky rivers are glacier fed(no fish) as you head north into the Yukon,town of Whitehorse has all kinds of history and a damn you can visit with observation under water ,june is too early for the king salmon to make they're 1000 mile journey to whitehorse they usually showup in august.

once in AK lots of options,if your leaving your wife at home guyz gotta visit the "alaskan bush company in anchorage best damn strip joint in north america,well I thought so when we came outof the oil fields with a pocket full of money$$$....

then in anchorage you'll see the worlds largest sea plane base /outfitters for flyin trips(lake hood),my fav was a do it yourself camp fish trip to lake ILLEAMA today they have out postcamps along the shoreline of the lake in june you'll be able to catch 11 species of fish giant rainbows abound....

just a few thoughts....risky.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

PS~ Be sure to pack knee boots as june can be really wet,rubber knee boots are the fashion statement during rainy season in AK

GIANT SKEETERS so bring plenty of repellant,,,another cool destination is the small fishing community town of Whittier just south of anchorage accessable only by a short train ride thru a mountain or by boat.

you'll see plenty of fish monger stands along the roads in june,salmon jerky tastes great with a cold beer.

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
In early '90's I made a trip to King Salmon Lodge over Labor Day weekend. We flew out every day but one and waded streams/small rivers fly fishing for rainbows and silver salmon. We all went home with 10 silvers. We wore chest waders and mosquito head nets all day every day (except the day we fished the river in front of the lodge.) When we flew out we walked a lot and you needed to be in shape. Now 25 years later I wouldn't try it.

In 2007 and 2008 a group of us went to Sitka and fished 4 days each trip with Frontier Charters. Both years we went the week after Memorial Day and specifically targeted King Salmon. When we had our daily limit of four per boat (one fish each). we would switch to halibut and rockfish. By the end of June the Kings are gone and all you catch for salmon are Silvers. It is important to know when the fish you want to target are running where you are going to be fishing and know the regs that are in place when you will be fishing.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In early '90's I made a trip to King Salmon Lodge over Labor Day weekend. We flew out every day but one and waded streams/small rivers fly fishing for rainbows and silver salmon. We all went home with 10 silvers. We wore chest waders and mosquito head nets all day every day (except the day we fished the river in front of the lodge.) When we flew out we walked a lot and you needed to be in shape. Now 25 years later I wouldn't try it.

In 2007 and 2008 a group of us went to Sitka and fished 4 days each trip with Frontier Charters. Both years we went the week after Memorial Day and specifically targeted King Salmon. When we had our daily limit of four per boat (one fish each). we would switch to halibut and rockfish. By the end of June the Kings are gone and all you catch for salmon are Silvers. It is important to know when the fish you want to target are running where you are going to be fishing and know the regs that are in place when you will be fishing.

Similar experience in Sitka back several years. I was there in July and did catch a few kings but they were on the small side as the main run is in June. Caught lots of halibut up to 100#. The average size of what we kept was in the 50-60# range, 3/day was the limit at that time. Also caught quite a few rock fish and ling cod plus some I have no idea what they were.

Sitka is on an island so you either fly in or go by ferry. The ferry is an interesting trip in itself. We went out of Prince Rupert, BC, a 36 hour tip but beautiful scenery. Had a room with toilet and shower plus restaurant on the ferry. Downside to Sitka, like some other places I would assume, is it's pretty much a destination trip as it's not easy to just hop in a car and drive someplace else. You do make some stops along the way in other towns on the route but not long enough to fish.

Would I go again? In a minute.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The guy is asking about fishing the road system in south central AK. For distance reference, giving him stories about fishing in Sitka is literally like someone starting an Oahe thread and all the comments being “I’ve never fished Oahe but we fished Lake Michigan in 2001 and we all caught limits of walleye everyday.”

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67