New waterfowl ammo~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
is out by Hevi shot,take a look and prices came down in most cases except for 100% hevi shot.

here is the breakdown.

1. HEVI-18-18gr/cc
2. HEVI-Shot- Duck and Goose Loads, Magnum Blend, Dead Coyote-12 gr/cc
3. HEVI-X Strut-blended load 50% HEVI-Shot 50% HEVI-X
4. HEVI-X-10.1 gr/cc
5. HEVI-Bismuth-9.6 gr/cc
6. HEVI-Metal LR, a blended load, 70% steel at 7.8 gr/cc and 30% bismuth.
7. HEVI-Hammer, a blended load, 85 % steel and 15 % bismuth.
8. HEVI-Steel-7.8 gr/c

PS~Hevi X is a powdered composite of tungsen like bismuth pellets only tungsen giving shot more weight and density for long range kinetic energy.

interesting specs thought I would share.

1. HEVI-18-18gr/cc
2. HEVI-Shot- Duck and Goose Loads, Magnum Blend, Dead Coyote-12 gr/cc
3. HEVI-X Strut-blended load 50% HEVI-Shot 50% HEVI-X
4. HEVI-X-10.1 gr/cc
5. HEVI-Bismuth-9.6 gr/cc
6. HEVI-Metal LR, a blended load, 70% steel at 7.8 gr/cc and 30% bismuth.
7. HEVI-Hammer, a blended load, 85 % steel and 15 % bismuth.
8. HEVI-Steel-7.8 gr/c

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
been shooting blackcloud the last couple of years, seems to be a good load

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What’s the fine for using lead shot these days? Might be worth the ticket.

I believe it’s like 75 or 100 dollars per shell. I could be wrong. I know it’s pretty steep though

- - - Updated - - -

Premium waterfowl ammo is a joke. Few can afford enough of it to make a difference and really if the birds decoy like they should it doesn’t matter. Federal blue box for me

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fixed that problem by giving away all my steel shot last year.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
actually you are correct fed blue box or xpert steel winchester for birds with feet down in dekes,for those that say ammo such as hevi shot "is a joke" you have'nt a clue on ballistics,some folks around the country don't have the luxury of fresh birds down from canada giving said shooter shots inside 40yds so enter hevi shot true very expensive for 100% hevi shot at$3.50 per shell but hevi shot offers alternative waterfowl ammo price to compete with other high end steel shot like black cloud $20+ per box,duplex loads like hevi metal,thought it was interesting hevi shot folks are dabbling with bismuth today,hevi shot pellets are made up with tungsen,nickle and tin(hence the hefty price tag) making them 10% heavier than lead giving the shot greater down range kinetic energy over any other steel shot manufacturer.,late season honkers landing short of your spread or decoy shy birds late season can fall to hevi shot with out shooting 12ga 3.5 BB,BBB OR T which doing so results in more cripples unless you break a wing or lucky head shot,use what ya want I thought these specs were interesting and shared, fyi lead weighs in around 10g/cc so bottom line is density/weight = longer range smaller shot size= more pellets on target less cripples compared to any/all steel loads when birds are not decoying or pass shooting,further one can put just one of these high end shells in for the last shot rather than pumping $10 in 3 shots for one bird just a few thoughts

Last edited:

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I have not hunted waterfowl in many years . My favorite story from when I was , is we were out and for some reason that morning the geese were not coming in just flying a little out of range . As luck would have it I had a box of #4 buck with me , Turns out they weren't out of range with those and the crumpled like a paper airplane . Everyone laughed at me when I put the first ones in , they weren't laughing after the first volley

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have not hunted waterfowl in many years . My favorite story from when I was , is we were out and for some reason that morning the geese were not coming in just flying a little out of range . As luck would have it I had a box of #4 buck with me , Turns out they weren't out of range with those and the crumpled like a paper airplane . Everyone laughed at me when I put the first ones in , they weren't laughing after the first volley
same thing happened for me with BB's lol. Astounding the difference

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dunno...if I couldn't decoy birds inside 30 yards, and instead had to buy expensive shotgun shells so I could sky blast them at 50-plus yards, I probably would take up another hobby. But that's because, to me at least, waterfowling is about fooling and getting them to cup and commit.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
actually you are correct fed blue box or xpert steel winchester for birds with feet down in dekes,for those that say ammo such as hevi shot "is a joke" you have'nt a clue on ballistics,some folks around the country don't have the luxury of fresh birds down from canada giving said shooter shots inside 40yds so enter hevi shot true very expensive for 100% hevi shot at$3.50 per shell but hevi shot offers alternative waterfowl ammo price to compete with other high end steel shot like black cloud $20+ per box,duplex loads like hevi metal,thought it was interesting hevi shot folks are dabbling with bismuth today,hevi shot pellets are made up with tungsen,nickle and tin(hence the hefty price tag) making them 10% heavier than lead giving the shot greater down range kinetic energy over any other steel shot manufacturer.,late season honkers landing short of your spread or decoy shy birds late season can fall to hevi shot with out shooting 12ga 3.5 BB,BBB OR T which doing so results in more cripples unless you break a wing or lucky head shot,use what ya want I thought these specs were interesting and shared, fyi lead weighs in around 10g/cc so bottom line is density/weight = longer range smaller shot size= more pellets on target less cripples compared to any/all steel loads when birds are not decoying or pass shooting,further one can put just one of these high end shells in for the last shot rather than pumping $10 in 3 shots for one bird just a few thoughts

pretty sure i understand ballistics and pretty sure for years all i hunted was public land water and ditch pigging it. My freezer tells a tale of alot of dead shit. Glad it works for you I just am not that impressed with the results when shooing it side by side with the new steel. the coyote loads are a different story

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
Off subject, but anyone else have buddies that think bigger pellets kick harder. Oh man those BB's kick, im going back to #2's.....hahahahahahahahaha

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to shoot F shot and try to bean them in the head. I haven’t shot waterfowl in many moons.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy a patternmaster and pattern it with 3 or 4 different loads at 25-30 yards. Xperts and fiochhi double bs are my huckleberries. Expensive shells and 3.5" are definitely for the freaking birds, well the trash I guess.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Back in the 70's when you could have fun, Double Odd was shot for all of them geese maybe 4 Buck once in a while and then BB and #2s' for ducks, we had tons of ducks back in the early 70's, what the hell happen to all the ducks now?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75