New waterfowl ammo~

emerald

Established Member
yup, you cant go home again, not the same, sold o/u10 ga. best, duck, goose, crane, yote gun, nothing comes close, 80$ for 2# of hevi shot,eat me, you know the ammo industry lobbied big for steel,nontoxic shot,,billions since the lead ban,first box of steel we bought said, 5 rds per duck, 1 in the air 4 on the water sad, end of an awesome era,still,you can shoot sandys with lead, 2 piles of shells beside you,hunting crane, when the northern greenheads swarm in, oh ? why did they ban lead anyway,[dumb?]

- - - Updated - - -

oh and n. greenheads dont taste the same,is it because of all the roundup?

- - - Updated - - -

cats love sky carp, can they come down with lead poisoning?

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
yup, you cant go home again, not the same, sold o/u10 ga. best, duck, goose, crane, yote gun, nothing comes close, 80$ for 2# of hevi shot,eat me, you know the ammo industry lobbied big for steel,nontoxic shot,,billions since the lead ban,first box of steel we bought said, 5 rds per duck, 1 in the air 4 on the water sad, end of an awesome era,still,you can shoot sandys with lead, 2 piles of shells beside you,hunting crane, when the northern greenheads swarm in, oh ? why did they ban lead anyway,[dumb?]

- - - Updated - - -

oh and n. greenheads dont taste the same,is it because of all the roundup?

- - - Updated - - -

cats love sky carp, can they come down with lead poisoning?
You gotta be short, must have forgot password so made new account

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Off subject, but anyone else have buddies that think bigger pellets kick harder. Oh man those BB's kick, im going back to #2's.....hahahahahahahahaha
steal has like zero recoil next to magnum lead loads. Shoot some 1-7/8 oz lead BB’s and compare that to today’s steel BB’s lol. It’s like night and day. You tried your damndest to not be laying flat on your back when you shot them old lead shells. If you did you couldn’t wipe your ass for a few days

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree on those 1 7/8 ounce BB lead loads. I grew up shooting steel for waterfowl, low base 7/12s and 8 lead shot on doves, maybe a few rounds of 3inch buckshot. Thought I knew what recoil was. Those 1 7/8 ounce BB loads changed my perspective drastically. Thumb on my trigger hand wrapped around stock about broke my nose the first one I shot.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree on those 1 7/8 ounce BB lead loads. I grew up shooting steel for waterfowl, low base 7/12s and 8 lead shot on doves, maybe a few rounds of 3inch buckshot. Thought I knew what recoil was. Those 1 7/8 ounce BB loads changed my perspective drastically. Thumb on my trigger hand wrapped around stock about broke my nose the first one I shot.

I know a guy with an uncracked case of those. 1 7/8 BB Lead buffered shot Federal Premium Magnums. Like gold now days.

emerald

Established Member
kurtr was that u they saw, with your head screwed into a metal cage, neck broke from sucking your on cock, fuck you, ha ha

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed,my goto loads back in the 70's to mid 80's for waterfowl and late season pheasants federal #4 copper plated 17/8th oz lead same in goose loads #2 n BB's and some copper plated#4buck which i still use for yotes and other critters wilst hunting upland birds in 1/7/8th ounce lead,today we see less pellet payload resulting in shot speed alot of the really fast shotshells only pack 11/8th ounce loads and less recoil,recoil felt is due to shot pay load some of the 12ga 3.5 ammo has 13/4oz of shot same as 10ga only the smaller diamter 12 barrel from forcing cone to muzzel results in a shoulder mule kick in MOP.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
I use Fiocchi 3in #1 shot for ducks over water,
Federal 2 3/4 BB on geese over decoys and 3.5 in BB for pass shooting geese.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
kurtr was that u they saw, with your head screwed into a metal cage, neck broke from sucking your on cock, fuck you, ha ha
Holy shit...... ive been too damn busy to post lately but had to take time for this gem..... shit got real dark there for a minute......also until that fancy 20$ a box load gets down closer to blue collar area Ill keep pumping fed blue box 2’s and rio blue steel 2’s at em. When you can get a 20$ rebate on 100$ case of shells its a no-brainer.

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rios all day, dirty as hell but 1 9/16 ����

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
careful with rio's.... low grade powder they use is really slow burn in cold weather and ageed dirty,stinky ammo but cheap for clay's we bought a shitload of rio's from a vender in iowa $28/case(no tax) had to warm a few boxes up in zero temp on truck floor board to make'em go "bang",sometimes shooting in cold weather shot cup would'nt clear muzzel,spooky if you did'nt catch it bad things could happen.

- - - Updated - - -

trip,hevi steel is $12/box last I checked,right there with blue box but its just steel shot like federal,no magic kills close in birds just fine.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree snow Rios are dirty, never had any slow burn issues yet. Dont recall seeing heavy steel anywhere around here for 12 but i did notice it had come down in price. Not gunna rag on anyone for shooting the expensive stuff, your money your call but for me its purely cost effeciency. Ive slowed down alot since having kids but in the good ol days was running 8-10 cases a year at waterfowl. If you have the ears of anyone higher up at hevi-steel tell em to come out with “blue-collar” steel and run it competitively to xpert or blue steel and you can probably dip into the blue-collar money instead of just catering to the doctors and lawyers.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well trip,hevi steel is right there price wise with the low grade ammo,you guyz be mindful of blue box,winchester xpert steel and such,we waterfowl hunt thru january follow the birds south as they migrate,buddy blew up the barrel of his beretta one day,thought he loaded a 20ga shell by accident followed by 12ga as his kid was shooting a 20ga,turned out my bud was shooting some older federal steel shot that got wet year before in his hunting jacket pocket we figured,steel shot rusted together like a solid steel slug,blew the center of his shotgun barrel wide open just forward of fore end damn lucky he or anyone else did'nt get hurt,had it happen with winchester supreme ammo but caught it before bad things happened,damn crimp did'nt seal the shot shell.shells were leaking shot buffer when I inspected the shells I noticed the steel ball as the shells did'nt rattle with bb's when shook.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep! Bulged the barrel on Bertha a couple years ago. I figure it was a rusted together steel shot slug as the bulge was just before the choke tube. Got lucky. I don't shoot any more "Truck Ammo" that's been in there past winter. I load up fresh ammo when I go out. At 10 bucks a box, it's not worth bleedin' over.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
years back when hevi shot was more afforable I noticed hevi shot shell crimps were sealed with a dab of hot wax to seal crimp,to cheap to purchase another 10 pack for $40 to check(100% hevi shot duck/goose loads) not hevi metal.plus tungsen,nickle and tin pellets won't rust together.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
How can the situations you have described be pinned on the ammo? Sounds more like lack of keeping the ammo dry and I would assume would cause failures of any ammo brand? Just so happens more people shoot cheaper loads, therefore it is more likely an incident would occur with it? Not? I keep my ammo dry in the event it gets wet it gets air-dried. If i find a rusted shell I wont shoot it for the reasons mentioned above. So far never had a problem. As to the price. 7.49-9.99 vs. 12.99 in my opinion isnt in the same ballpark. 17-30% cheaper? 99 a case vs. 129. Multiply that by 5 case and pretty soon you are down another 150. I shoot into January also. Again not trying to sway anyones opinion just giving mine. Ive got 15-25 year old 870s. 3 of them to be exact. Only issue ive had is the xpert steel metal was too thin where my ejector pin was ripping through the brass instead of grabbing it. My M2 doesnt like xperts as well either. Blue-steel shoots best through it but Rio works well enough for me. Keep selling to the sitka crowd I could care less but your development and marketing team would be blind to not recognize the economical market in the shotshell world. Like I stated to each their own but until you put a product not “in the ballpark” but run it at 9.99-10.99 I will keep my money going where it is currently going.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
rut fyi,pattern master has the specs of .015 same as an I.C. choke(improved cyclinder) designed for shooting large pellet size ammo,little over rated choke for the money,but guyz bangin birds with BBB's over dekes love the choke,factory mod would be just as good if not better tighter choke constriction.025,will certainly pattern better in smaller shot size.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77