Ft Peck Lake Trout

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Few of us heading to Ft Peck to chase lakers at the end of the month...never done it before. Our plan just from watching some youtube videos was to pull cranks along the shoreslines near the dam/spillway.

Anyone have any tips/info to share?

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rev, have wanted to give this a try as well. Good luck and hopefully you will have a story and pics to share!

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watch this Next Bite show. There oughta be something in there to help you out. Would love to try that sometime!!!

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoScgnsYHes[/FONT]

nybs

Honored Member
I watched a Jason Mitchell episode on fishing Ft Peck once...may be some good info if you can find that episode. Good luck!

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks guys....I think I've watched about every Ft Peck laker youtube video in existence at this point! We've got 4-4.5 days of fishing, so hopefully we can figure out some sort of pattern and boat some tanks.

wales

Founding Member
Founding Member
Few of us heading to Ft Peck to chase lakers at the end of the month...never done it before. Our plan just from watching some youtube videos was to pull cranks along the shoreslines near the dam/spillway.

Anyone have any tips/info to share?

PM sent.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
well the fall salmon run (chinnook/kings) is happening right now on our lake superior so I suspect they'll be running in your area lake trout are scavengers and follow the food source(salmon eggs) as they spawn we'll catch quite a few casting spoons from shore at the mouth of rivers n streamsn'cast master spoons,swedish pimps etc they'll be or should be shallow this time of year.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Were you trolling?? How deep?? Would leadcore, with clip-on weights be enough?

We did about 50/50 trolling and vertical jigging.

The crankbait bite seemed to be in the 30-40fow range. We were pulling leadcore with some larger cranks, and the new Salmo freedivers on braid (which I bitched the whole time about the cost of them at $15/ea, but I'll be damned if I wasn't hitting 30fow with only 110' of line out on braid).

Pink/white seemed to be the color of choice, we didn't get a single bite on any other color.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for answering! So did jigging beat cranking or were cranks the ticket?

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for answering! So did jigging beat cranking or were cranks the ticket?

Honestly, it was pretty close to even, but I'd give the edge to cranks...mainly just because of covering ground vs having to scoot around to stay on the active fish jigging.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75