New to NODAK

IrishSaint73

Hello! Wife & I were relocated to Grand Forks due to her job. Looking for outdoor opportunities, I am/was a game & fish hunter safety instructor primarily for children and young adults back home. Safe and have a good understanding of hunting & the outdoors, with that being said never hunted water fowl or migratory birds. Trying to get a “lay of the land” if anyone’s got any input, help or cool with me tagging along to learn the basics sure appreciate it.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Head west and you can find some coyote hunting. Deer hunting is ok in that area.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
First of all...slap your damn wife, how dare she do that to you?

Secondly, trout (rainbows) are stocked in the Turtle River every spring, mid-late May... I think.

Lots of deer in that unit, I'd suggest either getting out now and making some kind of landowner contacts or applying for a doe tag. Your choice.

You are within easy drive of Ruffed Grouse, study now...it's not everyone's bucket list but it is kinda cool to get one.

Devils Lake is 90 miles west. It's an easy drive to get accustomed to.

Welcome to the Tundra.

The Red River in GF is a catfisherman's dream. It only gets better as you go north. Walleyes are there, but that's not what the Red in that area is known for. The English Coulee in town is fun for saugers come spring.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get to know lycanthrop he has a bunch of good ideas, might seem sketchy at first, but it eventually turns into something educational

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welcome. Assuming you are/were a hunter safety instructor, you know how to contact landowners in the proper way. (Not a dig, it's just that we've had some people on here be less than honest in the past.) Respect, Honor, and Consideration are the cornerstones of that deal. As far as ducks and geese, you will just have to jump in the mosh pit so to speak. Devils lake has tremendous waterfowl populations, but also has very very little land access for the common guy. Lots of outfitters up there and many landowners lease there land to them. If you are not afraid to put in some windshield time, you should be able to pull the trigger on a few ducks and geese. You will see LOTS and LOTS of posted signs, but keep in mind that 95% of those signs are there for deer hunting or maybe pheasants. Rarely are they there for ducks. As long as your duck hunting doesn't interfere with the deer, you stand a very good chance of getting permission for that land. Additionally, If you hang around on this site, and I hope you do, you will also pick up a good idea of the "Lay of the land" around here so to speak. Wear you big girl panties on here, don't be afraid to mix it up, and enjoy the NDA ride. Good Luck and again, Welcome!!!

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was quite a hunting and fishing shock to me when I first moved up here from AZ. Not near the public lands to hunt here. The fishing is awesome and hunting can be rewarding too. Like they said, make contact with farmers and locals. Go fix some fence or whatever to get into good graces with land owners to be able to hunt. There are public lands to hunt, it's just a challenge finding it. Buy the OnX app on your phone and pay for at least ND.

Fishing is mostly walleye, perch, and northern pike. There are trout, catfish and bass, you just have to find where to fish for those. Ice fishing is coming soon. That's what I fell in love with and what brought me back to ND (besides work...lame).

Nobody gets accustomed to the cold, just like nobody really gets accustomed to the heat. You just learn to deal with it. Don't tell yourself it's that bad and it won't be. It's a mind game...

My family and I love it here! It's not everyone's piece of pie. Hopefully you can dig in and find it as amazing as we have! You started right by finding NDA! These folks on here are awesome! Check back often. Oh, and if you don't have a sarcastic sense of humor, get one! These guys are great for it!

emerald

Established Member
geez where was this rhetoric last winter and spring [ not a dig], thanks for the kind words,

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
geez where was this rhetoric last winter and spring [ not a dig], thanks for the kind words,

Excellent case in point IrishSaint73. How could I have spoken unkind words to this person "Last winter and spring" when their date of joining NDA is May of 2019?? This person was so honest and forthcoming that they needed to create a new account with a new name and instead of just welcoming you to the site, they post the above. Now you understand why I said what I said. Thanks emerald for showing the new guy what I meant better than I could have ever explained it. Remember IrishSaint73, "Big Girl Panties". Welcome to the fracus!!!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
can someone break out the crayons and explain the last couple posts to me, just kidding, I don't f'n care

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
A warm welcome to ND...as you'll be greeted by her icy embrace!

Snow.jpg

Winters in GF can be rough, but the ice is solid. Second on the Devils Lake trip, it gets easy when you know there's always fish to catch just about anywhere. In school I made the drive 2-3x a week in the spring from end of March to mid-May, and only remember all the pike and walleyes I caught, not the miles!

If you're looking for bass - look east - smaller lakes in MN, the Red Lake River, and others you can find on the MN DNR Lake Finder. Don't get into Sturgeon fishing either - you'll be driving to Baudette all April and May! You're in a good spot, and really only 2 hours from good pheasant hunting south of Valley City, if you wanted to make a day of it. So enjoy.

emerald

Established Member
welcome irish,endless outdoor opportunities here, u and your family came to the right state, and kdm, crossing, general sibley bridges, nightime, ? anything? thank you, my tab

IndigenousWalleye78

Honored Member
Welcome good sir!! Lots of luck to you in your Hunting and Fishing endeavors. The official team of the Dakotas is the Minnesota Vikings. Anyone who claims any different is a Sconi(Wisconsin) Cheesehead and they are just jealous that their state dont have any right angles. Haha. Welcome again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76