Tailrace Shore Fishing

Walleyeguy11

Wanting to try to shore fish the tailrace in the next week or so. I was wondering what kind of lures to be using up there. Any info is appreciated.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
1/2 oz to 1 oz white jig heads with a 4.5 inch or longer white paddle tail along with the above cranks. Long rods with larger reels spooled with 250 + yrds of 15 to 20 lb braid and floro leaders are the name of that game. 14+ lb walleyes or king salmon in heavy current are VERY possible and not something you want to use your 6 ft med light action walleye rod spooled with 150 yds of 10 lb line. I tried that and had to break off to prevent getting spooled more times than I want to remember on fish I would have REALLY liked to of at least laid my eyes on. With the jigs at least, you want to cast upstream at about a 45 degree angle. Give a 10 second or so countdown, then just reel in the slack and let the current carry the jig along. The hits will be VERY noticeable. When the current takes your jig almost to shore, reel up and repeat. For cranks, the cast is just upstream from straight out. Distance is the goal most of the time. Reel up the slack and again, let the current do the work. Another method is to cast the crank at a 45 degree angle DOWN STEAM and let the current take some additional line out. When you think you have enough line out, begin a slow retrieve back. The crank will be very close to shore which is where the longer rod comes in. If you can keep your lure out from the rocks about 4 ft, you're in the money. Hits will be VICIOUS. Fall is popular so this method may not work very well if you have fellow "Rock Hoppers" downstream. If there are boats in the chutes and you are fishing at night, WATCH OUT for wakes. Wet feet suck, but getting your feet taken out from under you while standing on slippery rocks and being washed into heavy currents of cold water would SUCK even more. Good luck, be safe, and catch a bunch!!!!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would suspect a fair few of those breakoffs were probably paddlefish. They are an ever present nuisance that can absolutely spool you in a hurry at least with their first run. If you make it past that you got a sporting chance.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
don't rule out going down and fishing just below the campground at night.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76