fall night trolling

Bob Erfish

Honored Member
Just curious if anyone does any trolling at night on sakakawea. It’s a popular tactic on many lakes in mn but haven’t heard of anyone here doing it. Full moon coming up this weekend, I’m thinking there could be a good opportunity for a guy to catch a few giant Walters if he were willing to brave the cold.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why troll in the night when you can catch them during the day

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
You may just want to check the forecast before making any big plans.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
It can be done but this weekend won't be the one to do it with the weather that is coming

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Monday looks ok...high around 40...sunny...light winds...course that can all change!

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve tried fishing Sak after dark but never really had any luck to speak of. It’s been years ago. I’d be interested to know if others have had success.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
never fished sak but night fishing walleye/muskie is up my ally,water clarity is key,is sak clear or stained?....lakes here in minn like LOW is poor night fishing as the water is heavy tamarac stained,at one time when Mille lacs was rockin(gin clear) before trible netting killed the walleye population giant walleyes were had on full moon nights up till freeze up in nov.

another great night giant walleye fishing lake was/is lake mc conaughy in nebraska,pulling cranks on boards over shallow shoreline rocks,12lb+ walleyes were had through out the night.

if ya head out tnight fishing make sure you have plenty of good lights both inboard and outboard....goodluck to ya

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure I've put this out here before, but I'll do it again. Its been about 20 years, but I night trolled OAHE in August (Not quite sure if that qualifies as fall bite) during full moon. I only did it twice, the first year had great success trolling over Moose flats when they were flooded. I was going for suspended fish..yes suspended. My cranks would only go down 25' tops and I tried staying in 50-35 feet. Me and the wife brought home 3 over 5 lbs, and lost a couple at the boat that were NICE. A little too much booze I think. Wife wanted to go just as action was picking up. However, those 3 would have won the tournament my brother fished in the day before. Our smallest would've been big fish in the tournament.

The 2nd year, the lower end unit went out as I got to the middle. Luckily, the wind was right and blew us to the same side as the boat launch. Kind of long suck story after that...Haven't night fished since.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you are going to try it, commit to 3 trips. You won’t know or figure it out much in one unless you bang the crap out of them your first try.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd maybe try it if the boat was rigged with lights like the crab boats on deadliest catch. Other than that nope, it's dark and dumb shit happens like broken rods n stuff.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dark and huge bodies of water are more than I can muster.
Yikes

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would rather sandpaper the asshole of an alligator in a phone booth than go on Sak at night. I get a shiver just thinking about it.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely a great time to be out. No traffic, no ramp wait, no sun and heat , and yes the fish bite.

sdtransplant

Established Member
not to hijack this thread , but , living in Nebraska have trolled lake mac many nights . it can get a bit hairy at night , lake mac damn roughly 4 miles long on east end of lake 22 miles long. when old Ne. wind comes up there are monster waves. people walk and cover most of the face all night, no lites to see them fishing from shore (some get p-oed easy) have heard of bank fishers stuffing drifted in logs threw boat windshield . did have a guy miss the entrance off the lake to the boat ramp, put a glass boat on a flat rock about 15ft out off water. never mind wind storms or hail that sh=t hurts at 3 am have to add you are 10ft or less from the rocks in 10ft water trolling

Last edited:

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
AAAF5518-2E56-4B2E-9528-3DFF138DB883.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
not to hijack this thread , but , living in Nebraska have trolled lake mac many nights . it can get a bit hairy at night , lake mac damn roughly 4 miles long on east end of lake 22 miles long. when old Ne. wind comes up there are monster waves. people walk and cover most of the face all night, no lites to see them fishing from shore (some get p-oed easy) have heard of bank fishers stuffing drifted in logs threw boat windshield . did have a guy miss the entrance off the lake to the boat ramp, put a glass boat on a flat rock about 15ft out off water. never mind wind storms or hail that sh=t hurts at 3 am have to add you are 10ft or less from the rocks in 10ft water trolling

Short, is that you?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79