October 2019 Snowpocalypse

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see they reduced the winds back 15 mph too. As usual the cry wolf scenario on the first snow storm and in the spring the first severe storm. Then when its august and we really do have a severe situatation you dont here much. same in April.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
A co worker has a heated bird bath and had pictures of Robins and Cardinals in bird bath during a blizzards in late Feb.

Heated bird bath sounds like a death sentence when it’s below zero. Birdsicles

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
https://www.weather.gov/media/bis/sitreport/SitReport1.pdf

Ignore the timestamp on it, but this is the latest from the National Weather Service.

Their website is kinda a pain to navigate but I’ve noticed they usually split it up into two forecasts - the 10% chance at 2 feet of snow and the 90% chance of more than 3 inches of snow... lol. Take a guess at which one gets thrown all over the internet. Just tell us the average and if it’s a bit more or less then so be it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wags, I think the trick here is all in the timing of the switch from rain to snow, and then where you measure. That first image in the sitrep suggests we in the Bis to Langdon axis of the first storm (before Friday) will see around 12 inches of snow. The ground is still warm and will melt snow as it comes into contact with it, so best chance for the stuff to accumulate more is in grassy areas where the snow gets elevated above the warm'ish ground.

Starting Friday, it's going to be round two of something that is right now a little wider in scope (that should narrow in the forecast as we go forward), but again from Bismarck to Bottineau and all the way to the Red is going to get another serving of water. Don't be surprised, but if this holds together a lot of the same areas will see another 10+ inches of snow. By then it will likely fall on top of a snowpack that has already shrunk due to melting and compaction, so by Sunday those that got two good doses of whiteness will probably have something around 12-18 inches of slop on the ground and a lot of mud underneath it.

Of course, that's just my take on it, but I'm also not a meteorologist...nor do I usually try to interpret the models themselves. It's just based on the NWS forecasts and what I expect to happen to the white stuff after it hits the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. The NWS is a gov't agency, user friendly features come at quite the cost in details and accuracy.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where are you getting they have lowered the forecasted snow totals from the storm! The amount the NWS has forecast has not changed yet only where the core may be.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think wags is drunk again. They keep upping snowfall not lowering.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Uhh, let's not confuse Wags with Shorthairs. It was the latter that mentioned a change in forecasts.

Wags just doesn't like the NWS' webpage.
Which doesn't exactly make him unique.

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
View from both the front and back of my boat yesterday afternoon...70 degrees and light wind...24 hours later...crap! North Dakota for you... Oct 2019 2.jpgOct 2019 1.jpg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20191008-071602.jpg

Show me 50mph winds in the new forecast. That is a big change down to low 30smph For farmers, wildlife, trees, the bison game .....list goes on

- - - Updated - - -

Ndfinfan those r the days that we Cherish!! I like the Octoberfest it makes that pic perfect!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
its going to make pheasant opener interesting.

The few pheasants around now will be dead after this, if we really do get 12-24" of wet heavy snow.

Last edited:

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
brief1.JPGBrief2.jpgBrief3.jpgBrief4.jpgBrief5.jpgBrief6.jpgBrief7.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Brief10.JPGBrief8.JPGBrief9.JPG

This could make getting to out west for pheasants a bit interesting.....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74