Pheasant Opener

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not that ya'll need reminded about opening day this weekend...I still figured I'd post about it.

I'm taking my oldest boy and my buddies oldest boy. Taking the dog too for the first time!

I have little to no experience with pheasants (and bird dogs for that matter:confused:). Is this weather going to mess things up? or is it still worth the hour drive that I have planned for Saturday morning?

GOOD LUCK!!

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
The weather isn't looking promising for getting out on Saturday, but I am hoping to shoot some birds Sunday if the weather is decent. See if my "bird dog" still knows how to get it done.
IMG_1765.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
snow and wind will make them hold in my experience. Dog will like it alot better when it is colder than hotter. Dont have lots of days off so i dont let the weather dictate if i go or not.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will see what Saturday looks like here maybe Sunday afternoon can get out. My lab is getting itchy and she doesn't do will with warm weather anyways, going to wait a little while to take the Shorthair I got from EricB beings I am in the process of gun training after a mistake I made a month ago but at least things are going well with that.
My guess is birds will be holding tight so that might work in my labs favor if I choose good spots to try.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Things look just like last year. Wet, standing crops, wind and cold. Depending on snowfall it's going to be almost impossible to get around in some parts of the state. Birds should be holding very tight, I think focusing on cover will be the ticket.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Monday -- it will dry out and the wind will go down -- much better day --- you will see birds come out

Wind = runners or Wind = breast meat shot up --- its one of the two depending

Snow and Rain and Wind = sit in the bar and brag

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shoot them in the head the breast will be ok wind equals slow flyers easy shots

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive had some of my best pheasant n other game hunting in crap snowy weather.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you decide might as well stay east no birds out in western North Dakota

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you decide might as well stay east no birds out in western North Dakota

I'm going as far east as I can for now. I'm not too familiar with eastern ND. The issue I see with Western ND is there are just too damn many people! All the public land gets hammered! And all the nice land owners got turned off by assholes. IMO, maybe I'm wrong...or just haven't met the right people.

I'm also nervous to go talk to land owners...kinda outa my character.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on Friday and Saturdays weather I might drive around Sunday to see how many ditch chickens I can find.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They still might be a little crusty on Sunday. Best wait until Monday so they have a chance to thaw out.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll hopefully be slipping an arrow through a ND muley and tagging it with a NR tag. ;) Good luck with the pheasants!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure of west of 83 but east of 83 should be devastating for the bird pops this year with this shit storm.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last year the October storm was bad but the birds came through in good shape. This year the cattail sloughs were already full of water so no cover there for pheasants. But all the corn is standing yet. It will take a few days to find out what damage occured.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Time will tell, but all of the standing crops may be what saves a lot of pheasants that would have been flattened otherwise.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a nice field where we could hunt into the wind. Worked out better than I thought! Got two. For me that's a new record! And, best part is that my dog did pretty good. Guess we'll be eating pheasant and not gsp this year!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75