Purchasing ONLY hunting rights to land?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fully agree with Retired Educator. We too had some very lean years when first buying our farm but that is what we wanted and we buckled down and made it work. Did without on some things as we had to decide what was more important. Heck you see people buying $80,000 boats, campers, pickups, and cars and think nothing of it. Those just keep depreciating but land is at least a good investment down the road. You're building equity and have something to either sell of pass on down the road.
Our farm is getting passed on to the kids and will be 4th generation. That means something to us and to them.
Maybe do a contract for deed if your relates can agree to a price, term, and interest rate.
We know people that spend 10 bucks a day each for coffee. Things can be eliminated to pay for other things, just depends on what is more important. The old saying "nothing good comes easy" still has meaning today.
How many acres are there and how many do or will you yourself own before buying the other share?
Just trying to help you out.
Good luck!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to hijack the thread and I don't follow farming much more than casual but is the current state of affairs a buying opportunity in the making?

KJS - ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to hijack the thread and I don't follow farming much more than casual but is the current state of affairs a buying opportunity in the making?

Unfortunately for our farming community, I think it may be in regards to opportunity, not sure about value.

After several years of struggling through the low commodity value period, now having to struggle against mother nature most of the year with either too wet (most) or too dry and now a blizzard to cover and cause problems with the rest of the fall harvest - I would guess some farmers are going to have to put some land on the market which they would prefer not to do. Banks/operating loans may require it.

Prices currently seem to be holding up in the land value area - low interest rates will provide additional buyers looking for a decent return on investment other than farmers for a while if the market isn't flooded.

Never like to see good farmers forced to sell due to poor prices and tough weather breaks.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, not wanting to see the situation worsen but I don't think one season will make buying land a slam dunk. It depends on whether you are considering just weather, Trumps pissing contest with China, future of the world. As much as I would love to be a landowner, poor choices in life have seemed to prevent that unless things get so bad that the homestead act is restarted.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the honest responses. There is a total of 480 acres, so 240/240 split. The $35 is right at the county average ($38 last time I checked). I feel the land value, based on production, is probably around the $1,100 range. Average based on SDSU Extension service in 2018 put the average for the area in the $1,350 range. But, enough has sold over the last few years in the $1,800+ price range. With the way it ties into other places and probable interest, I think market value would certainly be $1,500 an acre. Best case. So, doing the math, 480 x $35 is $16,800. Based on 5% interest and a $1500 per acre price on a 30 year note, the annual payment is $23,600. I agree it is a great investment but for me personally that is too big of a gap to cover at the current time.

CRP can be great IF you can get it qualified. That has been very, very hard of late in this area, I know from experience.

Very good points on what happens later on. The possibility of it being anything but farmland are basically nothing (never say never). But, I would have no expectation of control over what is planted or done. Just the ability to walk on the dirt and hunt as needed, regardless of owner. But you've brought up good points to further consider.

Not sure where I am going with this at the moment but appreciate all the responses. Good food for thought!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing to check into, when I was thinking of buying land was a loan on land, most banks would only do a 20 year loan, and if you went with a locked in rate the interest rates where closer to 7%. They pushed you towards a adjustable rate loan.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
well enjoy what you have,maybe offer up a few bucks every year to lock said land up,for one day these private lands will be gone not so far down the road,once praire lands now farm lands soon developments concrete n tar as far as the eye can see but its worth asking and to pony up a few $$ if the other family is strapped for cash.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
It sounds like it could be a legal nightmare if the land changes hands down the road. I've never heard of purchasing hunting rights for life, but unless there is a good legal precedent and you have a good attorney draw up an iron clad contract my guess is your hunting rights could easily be challenged in court. This could make your "investment" worthless along with additional legal fees.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way it sounds to me you can't afford the land and i don't think it is legal to buy the hunting rights. Sooooo you are going to have to be the best brother, cousin, nephew, or friend to whomever owns the said land and still that won't guarantee you being able to hunt. In other words you will probably have to kiss their butts every time they want something. Hope it turns out better for you than this sounds.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Perhaps a well crafted buy sell agreement between both parties may be a solution? I know some are funded by life insurance on the parties to allow the surviving party to purchase the dead parties interest in the land. A trip to an attorney that specializes in estate planning may be in order. Just a suggestion anyway.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go online and get acquainted with the conservation programs available then visit your local NRC office and ask all the questions you have. You can (or at least you used to be able to) "bid" on CRP2 contracts. There is a ranking criteria where you have to come up with a favorable conservation plan at a favorable price and plant it to native grass that you can hay 50% of yearly to keep the land cleaned up. Good habitat will build a good wildlife population and have strategically placed food plots Then to more than offset the costs of your lower bid, Offer a couple guided hunts a year. It's tried and true and proven to work but it will get mud thrown at you from all directions by others.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
CRP-2 and CREP were a couple good options. The last contract period I looked at had an option to enroll in pollinator plots as well as food plots. Pollinator plots added a lot of points and were the make it or break it in the ranking criteria from what I saw. . It's all doable but depending on your contract duration you will be back to the planning stage again down the road, The re enrollment might be better or worse when your contract is up.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who in the hell would sell/buy said land with an exclusive clause for hunting rights? Next thing ya know person hunting said land gets hurt now land owner has a libility law suit,thats the new deal here in Mn hunting private land,folks worried about sue happy snowflakes,goddamn needle dicks ruined for everybody.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So looking for some reasonable input here. We have family land, not a lot, that was split between two siblings (each has their own kids, I am one of them) with equal acreage. The half of land is essentially flat cropland offering no cover but has some opportunity depending on crop type and what type of hunting you want to do. I am the only one of the kids that have any interest in the land or the hunting. I'd love to be able to buy the other half but given the amount of money it's probably unlikely in the short to mid term at best.

My desire is just to be able to hunt there as I have growing up, and have my kids be able to walk the same dirt I have. Given that a purchase isn't likely soon, would it be reasonable to ask to purchase just the hunting rights? I don't really ever hear of purchasing rights, obviously most folks just lease the hunting rights out. I have a rough idea of what I'd offer in price. I understand the impact of them losing those rights when it comes time to sell, though I don't believe it would affect the price much if at all given the limited opportunities on the land (without a bunch of extra work). I would propose a lease but that timeline is shaky compared to a purchase of the rights.

Hopefully nobody gets too worked up about this. Just curious as to your thoughts! Thanks!

If you are interested, I could suggest a couple options for you if you PM me your phone number. The reason for your phone number is to clarify a couple things before I suggest anything without knowing your exact situation. If you PM me, I should be able to get ahold of you some time this week. I figure that would be easier than posting back and forth.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who in the hell would sell/buy said land with an exclusive clause for hunting rights? Next thing ya know person hunting said land gets hurt now land owner has a libility law suit,thats the new deal here in Mn hunting private land,folks worried about sue happy snowflakes,goddamn needle dicks ruined for everybody.

Sad to say this is time in which we live. First thing they think of doing is suing someone. Can't take responsibility for their own actions causing an injury or damage.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
north dakota actually has some protections against that kind of liability written into NDCC Chapter 53-08.

i think all landowners need to be aware of this because i have heard it before as a reason for posting land. some seem to think if they don't post it and someone enters and gets injured, they can be liable. not the case in ND unless you are charging for entry. and there are even some limitations on that if you don't make a whole lot doing it.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76